Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Don't throw away your broken speed drive gear housing.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't throw away your broken speed drive gear housing.

The hold down tab on the speedo drive gear housing often break off. Rather than throw it away when (or if) you replace it make it into a transmission dipstick. I removed the o-ring and the gear and now I can get it in and out of the hole without it sticking. Saves fighting the seal when you're trying to check levels with the one on the car.

Doesn't make it any easier to get the housing out to begin with but makes it easier to check the oil level in the transmission. Hope you find this helpful.

Sent from somewhere west of here via Tapatalk!
    Ian
    Calgary AB, Canada
    93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
    59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Originally posted by fastivaca View Post
    now I can get it in and out of the hole without it sticking.
    Giggity

Car #789
    Sponsors: Williams American Construction, Dewaynes Tire service, Roofing Supply Group
    1992 Festiva L - BP Swapped, Aspire Swapped, Rally America Sanctioned.
    1993 Festiva GL - 4sp Automatic and the bluest car i've ever seen...
    http://www.facebook.com/warally

Comment

Originally posted by WTFestiva View Post
      Giggity
      LOL. Have that same problem, do we?
      White '92 GL 5-speed BP, G series, Aspire/Rio swapped, "Nancy"
      White '89 LX 5-speed, Aspire swapped, Weber carb
      1988 LX 5-speed
      ​​​1993 L 5-speed B8, E series, Aspire/Rio swapped

Gone:

1986 Chevrolet Sprint 1990 L Plus Auto

Comment

I have an extra speedo housing too, for that very purpose. Us older guys can use the help!

Karl
        '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
        '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
        '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
        '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
        '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

I do sort of the same thing with old CV joints. I remove the stub shaft that goes in the transmission from the rest of the axle and also the cir clip so it slips in and out of the transmission. Then whenever I remove an axle, I stick one of those in the transmission. It keeps the dirt out and the spider gears from dropping.
          You gonna race that thing?
          http://www.sdfcomputers.com/Festivaracing.htm

Comment

That O ring serves a purpose don't ya know! Rather than fussing around from down below, which is awkward, if you reach down behind the motor from up above you can get pretty good purchase and leverage on the unit. A long set of extensions on a 1/4 inch drive easily removes/installs the tab bolt from up top too. It may well be the mounting tab is merely insurance against coming loose, but without the tab and the O ring, I would think sooner rather than later is going to cause the failure of the sending unit (if it disengages slightly and gets ground up) or you're going to lose and/or contaminate the tranny oil.

Comment

Bert, I didn't intend for the the modified one to be used permanently but simply as a dipstick while the one being used in the car is out.

Procedure as follows:
              - remove tab bolt as you described
              - remove housing
              - check oil level with modified unit as required
              - reinstall original housing
              - reinstall tab bolt being careful not to overtighten it

Ian
              Ian
              Calgary AB, Canada
              93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
              59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

Currently I have a tab-less unit in my tranny, Im going to do this and install my new one in!!
                1993 Festiva L "Wendy" BP n' stuff
                2013 Mazdaspeed 3 "The Kraken" -Stock.

Dave Forget

Comment

Working...
                X