Transponder Key Bypass - Cheap and Easy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transponder Key Bypass - Cheap and Easy

Somehow mom's Escape extra key got lost, and the stealership option was not appealing. The normal stuff that is supposed to be used with a remote start kit needs 2 keys to program it. Kinda defeats the purpose if you lost one.

So http://www.ebay.com/itm/251273461479...84.m1497.l2649

Tucks nicely under the lower dash and I just folded the power wires into the end of the wiper switch pigtail for power, so nothing was changed from stock. It's a nice little tidbit if you ever lose a transponder key. Then getting a new key made is as simple as it used to be too. Any key that fits the ignition will start the car like how it used to when simplicity wasn't taboo.

Not for a Festiva, but I'm sure lots of us have other cars that might benefit from this.

Oh, and to bud nip the obvious question. Why not just tape the original key to the lock cylinder? I tried that. The signal is so weak from the stock key that it needs to be in just the right location (which on the Escape wasn't possible inside the column plastics) to work. The bypass amps the signal up and works fine behind the plastic.
    Last edited by sketchman; 04-29-2014, 05:17 PM.
    Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
    91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Most cars now won't work this way. Back in '05-'06 I installed about 300-350 remote starts in many different cars. Ford was the simplest at the time and I was able to use devices to what you have found. BUT I know much has changed since then. Good find though.
    -Bryant

Comment

I hate new cars.
      Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
      91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

lol. Me too. That is why I am building my "new" old car.
        -Bryant

Comment

Working...
        X