Rack and Pinion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rack and Pinion

Found out today that I need a new rack and pinion instead of just front inner tie rods. I found the part on rock auto for about $250. Any other helpful info. besides what I've searched on forum concerning the 1989. Do all models have same rack or is it specific ? Thanks for all the help. Any guys on Oahu wanna help ?

88/89 have a steel rack, 90+ have a cast aluminum rack. Inner tie rods are not interchangeable between them. Outers are the same.

I've rebuilt a number of the later racks, if you have access to a lathe and some delrin you can do the same with the earlier rack, but the bushings are much smaller on the early racks, so I try to avoid them.
    ~Nate

the keeper of a wonderful lil car, Skeeter.

Current cars:
    91L "Skeeter" 170k, Aspire brakes, G15, BP, Advancedynamics coil overs, etc. My first love.
    1990 Kawasaki Ninja 250 - my gas saver, 60+mpg - 40k
    2004 MotoGuzzi Breva - my "longer range" bike - 17k

FOTY 2008 winner!

Comment

The early rack will interchange with the later racks.
      I have an 88 rack on my 90 I could not find a 90+ rack that wasn't
      Worn out. All the early racks seem to hold up very well. If you do get a later rack for your older car be sure to get the bushings your brackets will work but the bushings are different.
      Also order inner tierods for the rack you choose.
      Last edited by william; 04-30-2014, 07:51 PM.

Comment

Is it usually just the right side bushing that needs to be replaced on a routine rebuild?

Comment

I've put an early rack in a late model car too - but unless you need to replace both inner tierods and the rack changing for older to newer or vice versa doesn't make sense.

Is it usually just the right side bushing that needs to be replaced on a routine rebuild?
          Yes, the right/passenger side has the bushing that wears out. The drivers side doesn't actually have a bushing - slop on that end is controlled by the preload adjuster that pushes the rack against the pinion. When I (or greg, mark, etc) rebuild them we put delrin bushings at the very outer part of both ends of the rack housing, so that the rack is supported as far out as possible. I really like the way it feels and it seems better to me. How much difference does it really make? I don't know - we'd need someone like Charlie with some track data to say!
          ~Nate

the keeper of a wonderful lil car, Skeeter.

Current cars:
          91L "Skeeter" 170k, Aspire brakes, G15, BP, Advancedynamics coil overs, etc. My first love.
          1990 Kawasaki Ninja 250 - my gas saver, 60+mpg - 40k
          2004 MotoGuzzi Breva - my "longer range" bike - 17k

FOTY 2008 winner!

Comment

I guess ill make another run of bushings

Just ordered more material to make more sets of bushings for those who are in need of them. If your interested PM me
            Last edited by M3NTAL; 04-30-2014, 11:01 PM.
            -M3NTAL MARK! Woo!!

Comment

Originally posted by skeeters_keeper View Post
              I've put an early rack in a late model car too - but unless you need to replace both inner tierods and the rack changing for older to newer or vice versa doesn't make sense.

Yes, the right/passenger side has the bushing that wears out. The drivers side doesn't actually have a bushing - slop on that end is controlled by the preload adjuster that pushes the rack against the pinion. When I (or greg, mark, etc) rebuild them we put delrin bushings at the very outer part of both ends of the rack housing, so that the rack is supported as far out as possible. I really like the way it feels and it seems better to me. How much difference does it really make? I don't know - we'd need someone like Charlie with some track data to say!
              I need to buy a new rack for my race car. I was going to buy from RockAuto, but I'd rather spend the money within the community if you're interested in assisting?
              #33 Ford Festiva "We Are Not Really From Iran" - 24-Hours of LeMons 3x Trophy Winner & Class B Winner

Comment

Working...
              X