Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What engine to go with question, help me out.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What engine to go with question, help me out.

Ok so I am going to buy a little silver Festiva from a lil old lady this friday or saturday. The original engine isn't running since last September, so my question is a 2 part question. 1 should I just keep the original 1.3L engine and get it running to use as my daily or 2 should I get a Bxx engine and drop it in?

Now on to what I have as the issue(s). I am recently seperated & paying child support so I have little to no money available (buying with a per diem check for out of state work recently). I am putting my Subaru STi up for sale this week as much as I don't want to (hoping for quick sale). So I will be getting money from that to fix the little Festiva up to my liking in the future anyway but currently I will need to get it running so it will be my daily driver. Should I take the time to fix the 1.3 or take the time to find another engine to swap in and just be done with that part. I have big plans for the Festiva and want it to be clean and tastefully built.... I am kind of picky about my cars. As much as I am on here I really don't know what engine to look for or how to begin once purchased. I am in no way a mechanic although I have put cams in cars replaced clutches and done various work on my Subaru so I have the ability to do the minor work but not sure about a full engine swap. And what about the time to have it done and although I have a garage I am not one to leave stuff in my garage undone for my kids to play around. Anyway looking for suggestions of where I should go with this.

Thanks for your help in advance!!!
    Tom

First, I would find out what's wrong with the 1.3. If it's a simple fix, I'd get it running and save for the swap at a later date.
    If the 1.3 has serious issues, then I'd do an upgrade to an early B6, since it's easier to do. Basically a bolt in from what I've heard.
    Jerry
    Team Lightning

Owner of Team Lightning
    90 L "Peewee" B6D. Bought new May 16,1990
    92 L Thunder BP G5M-R Turbo B6T electronics. Jan 2016 FOTM winner SOLD
    93 L Lightning. BP

Not a user of drugs or alcohol, Just addicted to Festiva's

Comment

If there's an issue with the car not running, you should find out the problem first before tearing it apart and customizing it and then getting pissed off later because the new engine won't run from the original problem

That's what I would do at least

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
      1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
      2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Thanks for the reply Team Lightning, supposedly the 1.3 has problems with the crank, the belts not on the engine right now. All the lady could tell me was that either the belt slipped & the crank is bad or the engine belts aren't working right, she said it cost her $100+ to have it diagnosed. She was kind of a strange old lady who runs a horse stable..... was suprised she could even get the Festiva to the stable grounds with the condition the road was in, scratched the crap out of my Subaru trying to avoid a 3ft x 3ft pot hole. She was also on a breather and was hard to understand but the car was in alot better shape than the last one I looked at.

Comment

Damkid appreciate the reply, I am going to do my best to getting it running 1st then modding it. I am sure that if I put a new(er) engine in it I will make sure that it is in excellent running order before I put it in so that I don't have the problem that you speak of.

Comment

Even if the B3 is toast.... Bad head gasket, bad timing belt, spun crank bearing etc... Then a new engine might be the better option depending on the problem but if the issue is on the body side of things... Bad fuel pump, something electrical etc.... Then a new engine won't fix the issue and could be a waste of time

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Damkid, I see what you are talking about now, ok yeah I will talk with her again and see if I can get some more info on the issue so that I can trouble shoot the problem the right way. Thanks

Comment

It's always best to diagnose before changing anything at all :lol:

Good luck

Comment

ok so been doing some research on Engines that drop right in but I still have some confusion. So if i can get the 1.3l running quickly I will do so but if i have issues I will see if I can just drop in a 1.6l SOHC from the 323. From what I have learned the 1.6 will drop right in without any modifications just utilizing whats already there but I am confused as to what the true engine code is. I have found different engine codes and not sure as to what the difference is. There is the B6-E, B6-ME, and the B6-2E...... so is there any major differences like one is carb & one EFI or does it matter at all? Thanks Tom

Comment

the ME and 2E are supposedly the same engine. these have a SOHC head with 16 valves. found in 90s CALIF 323s and MX3s. i had one of these on the stand but never put it in. the intake looked a little long and might have clearance issues with the firewall. probably the easiest to find and install would be the regular B6 8 valve. these came in 2 versions, the main difference being the routing of the intake plenum. the early ones are from 87-89 mercury tracers and 85-89 mazda 323s. the intake runs over the valve cover just like the festiva 1.3. the later version 1.6 is from 90-94 mazda 323s. this has the intake fed from the drivers side so you'd have to relocate your battery to fit the air cleaner. i think both 1.6 8V are rated the same. you can't mix and match major parts between these 2 due mainly to water jacket bores. early head has to be on an early block, late head on late block. i think the intake also is not interchangeable. make sure to get and use the 1.6 ECU for best results. having driven the Subaru, you might still be disappointed with these choices. acceleration is an addiction with no cure. only a B6T transplant is going to come close

Comment

Much appreciated F3BZ, that is exactly the info I was looking for!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X