Newbie story...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie story...

I looked over the site...I assume it's OK to post here. If not, my apologies...feel free to move it.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    'Thought I'd tell how I came about my '88.
    A few years ago, I dropped by a garage sale down my street.
    My secluded (super private) bachelor neighbor passed on and his daughter came up from LA to sell everything.
    I bought two GI gas cans 'n some other stuff...she then asked if I wanted a car as she slid open the garage door.
    There it was: a Silver LX, 5 spd, 56k miles, and in super condition - dusty as hell/covered in spider webs, etc.
    (I've always been a fool over small cars...this one caught my heart immediately)
    I didn't even know the man ever had a car.
    Apparently the distributor went bad so he parked it in the garage for umpteen years - took the bus to work.
    She said her father was "frugal" 'n didn't want to pay Ford's price - old distributor still sitting on his work bench.
    I offered her $100 on the condition that I could get it going.
    I called around - pulled a junkyard dist. for $60, installed it, pulled the plugs for a look/see, siphoned the gas (goo) tank, poured in a gal. or two of gas mix (Berryman's Chemtool), added an additional little see-thru fuel filter, put in a battery from my pickup, shot some fuel down her throat, and she fired right up.
    Signed the papers 'n off I went.
    Changed all the fluids (that tranny filler is a hoot), tuned 'er up, and pulled wheels to check brakes, etc.
    Added a junkyard fuel tank float, a tan leather steering wheel cover, and that's about it.
    Front speakers fell apart within a month or two...will replace those someday.
    Just picked up three new Woosung 155's from a wrecked car...will order two Kumho tires soon and replace those dried out rock-hard Michelins.
    Cam belt change is due.
    I chocked her out w/some Sea Foam recently and added 1/2 qt. of MMO...oil change due now.
    Presently looking to replace the AM/FM radio w/OEM same.
    Anyway, I love this little car...she's now got ~70k miles and she just purrs along.
    I hope to keep her until one of us dies.
    (I'm amazed when I read the mileage on some of your cars)
    Now/then I am asked if it's for sale.
    I have several other modes of transportation, but this seems to be my bread 'n butter rig.
    I drive pretty easy - 'get ~34 mpg in town and 50+ mpg on the road at ~60 mph.
    (I keep the tire pressure up)
    The best mpg I ever got was 54 on a 200 mile hwy roundtrip.
    I sure do enjoy reading through this forum. I did a Google a couple of years ago to find it.
    Thanks for all the info/help in that time...y'all have some major experience and a great family here.
    Best,

(Hope this photo is not too big)

you weren't kidding when you said that thing was clean! look at that engine bay!!! the brake booster still has its paint let alone the exhaust heat shield!!!! power mirrors too!! you found a gem! i have no problem saying that is probably the cleanest festiva i have ever seen.
    Ian Carr
    88' flat black festy, has an e-brake that works!
    99' S70 T5M- faster DD
    86' 951- almost ready for track season

My old b6t- wish i still had it
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2241793

Every car I have owned has had a turbo in it, until I bought this latest festiva.. I plan to fix that though.

Comment

WOW
      :shock:
      That is a very nice looking car , looks new!!
      Welcome to the site
      ------------------------------------------------
      The Trigger - Midwest Festiva Inc., Illinois Chapter
      Smart Passion white with H-D interior
      HD2500 Duramax Chevy
      Harley Davidson Ultra classic ..I am in love !!
      Pro Street S-10 http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2214968
      Diamond white Deville 27,000 mile cream puff
      Z28 LS1 power 500 +
      90 Festy L daily driver wants to be modded, OK
      It is being modded , a little at a time http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2214953

Join me on Facebook !! ;http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...00000295094896

Comment

Welcome to the site! And yes that is a great find.
        Brian
        http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
        :fish:

Comment

Sweet find!! That car almost looks like it just rolled off the showroom floor!! :shock:
          Paul
          91GL
          Menomonee Falls, WI

Comment

gorgeous car.... in a lot better shape than the silver one I bought for $100 a couple months back. I like the red stripes in the trim, reminds me of my dad's old tempo before the stripes fell off. I may try to put those color stripes on mine cause that looks good.
            No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

You're the man! Good story for a beautiful car. Wish mine looked that good 8)
              4-spd 1989 Festiva - carburated baby!

Comment

Some people have all the luck. Let me guess the daughter from LA was miss October and you married her.
                sigpic
                The Don - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter

Link to my festiva pictures below
                https://fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=10
                Celebrating 25 years of festiva(s) ownership.

Comment

i could take apart my two festivas to make one and still not look as nice as yours.

Comment

Originally posted by freshtiva
                    Let me guess the daughter from LA was miss October and you married her.

Yeah, he ran off with the car, the girl, the trophy, and the beer.
                    Nah...she was a looker, though, but about 20 yrs. my youth.
                    Thanks for all the kind words and welcomes, gents.
                    Drive safely.
                    Best,

Comment

Your rides flossin bro

Comment

Holy crap! :shock:

That is one CLEAN Festiva!

No dents, dirt, rust, or any of the other free goodies they come with!

btw, what does "flossin' " mean?
                        White '89L auto - Sold!
                        Silver '06 Rav4, 95k!

Comment

Working...
                        X