Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How close can you get to the bottom before you run out....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How close can you get to the bottom before you run out....

So after hearing stories of folks regular putting 9+ gallons of fuel in their Festy.I starting getting bolder and BOLDER and running closer to the limit of the fuel tank range. I wanted to do this so I would know exactly how far I could go on the gauge before she died.For my car at about 1/2 a gallon of fuel remaining it will stumble on some of my local hill climbs. I regularly put in 9.5 gallons,but on this particular day I pushed the envelope. I was tooling down the highway @ 75 and got passed by a new Porsche doing about 90. I knew I had about 1 gallon left so I just kept my pace. But I just couldn't resist and down shifted and caught him. We kept passing more and more exits and finally the car started to die going up a hill with my next exit 1 mile ahead! My first thought was you idiot your gonna run out of gas 1/2 mile before the exit! Somehow I made it up the hill,killed the engine and coasted to the exit.And guess who is stuck at the light in front of me? Mr Porsche of course,we even pulled into the same Gas Station. The car felt like she was on 3 cylinders the last 300 ft so I shut it off and coasted to the pump.
    Prior to this I think my personal best was 9.8 gallons.I was so proud of my foolhardiness I just had to post the pics. Anyone out there ever get 10 gallons in the tank? Anyway if you are up for the challenge post the pics!
    Good Luck and watch out for those Porsche's

Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
    Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
    Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

10.1 to 10.3 gallons multiple times!
    Have a log to prove it and receipts, if needed.
    Last edited by Pu241; 05-13-2014, 08:49 PM.
    '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
    '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
    '92 Aqua parts Car
    '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
    '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
    Your holy ghost will not save you.
    Your God plutonium will not save you.
    In fact...
    ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Originally posted by Pu241 View Post
      I have done that once, but usually if I run it extremely low it is around 9.8.

Also I haven't seen a gas station in a while that had a nozzle for each individual grade of gas.
      Last edited by TorqueEffect; 05-13-2014, 09:12 PM.
      1991 Ford Festiva BP (Full Aspire/Rio Swap) (337k Miles) (Around 95k Engine)
      2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport 2.2L DOHC Ecotec (Threw a Rod)
      1998 Chevy Monte Carlo LS 3.1 V6 (225k miles) Best MPG = 28

Comment

I smoked a carrera on the way to work this morning. I'm sure it took more gas but it was worth it seeing his face when I walked by his car like it was standing still, he had the head start too. Wonder if he took it back to the Porsche dealer down the street for a faster one.
        1988 Ford Festiva "Sonic" BPT g25mr MS2 standalone ecu, FOTY '11, Best Beater FMV, Fan Favorite FMVI

1989 Ford Mustang GT 5.slow

1996 Ford F-150

Comment

Pushing it that much is bad for your fuel pump fellas, but I'm sure you already know that.

I usually just fill up around 200-250 miles on a tank (broken fuel gauge)
          -M3NTAL MARK! Woo!!

Comment

Originally posted by Pu241 View Post
            I believe you! I've heard others say they have gotten over 10 in their tank.I think I may have a large dent in mine that keeps me from doing it. 9.89 and I'm done chasing German cars

Originally posted by TorqueEffect View Post
            I have done that once, but usually if I run it extremely low it is around 9.8.

Also I haven't seen a gas station in a while that had a nozzle for each individual grade of gas.
            Hmmm now I'm gonna look for that every time I get gas ! Never gave it a thought till you mentioned it.

Comment

Originally posted by Flyin4stroke View Post
              I smoked a carrera on the way to work this morning. I'm sure it took more gas but it was worth it seeing his face when I walked by his car like it was standing still, he had the head start too. Wonder if he took it back to the Porsche dealer down the street for a faster one.
              This one had that little wing that retracted when he got down to a slower speed.Cool car but, BUTT UGLY color like a yellowish cream color. Cant imagine forking over that much dough for a Porsche painted that color! But to each his own is what they say-

Comment

Originally posted by nitrofarm View Post
                Hmmm now I'm gonna look for that every time I get gas ! Never gave it a thought till you mentioned it.
                Another kinda pump I don't see anymore is the ones you have to lift up the lever where the nozzle usually sits to activate the pump.
                1991 Ford Festiva BP (Full Aspire/Rio Swap) (337k Miles) (Around 95k Engine)
                2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport 2.2L DOHC Ecotec (Threw a Rod)
                1998 Chevy Monte Carlo LS 3.1 V6 (225k miles) Best MPG = 28

Comment

Originally posted by TorqueEffect View Post
                  Another kinda pump I don't see anymore is the ones you have to lift up the lever where the nozzle usually sits to activate the pump.
                  We have one of those around here. I remember the first time I saw one... My mom was using it and I pushed it down because I didn't know what it did haha.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
                  1990 White L-Plus 5-speed rust-machine
                  Scrapped

1991 Blue L 5-speed
                  daily driver, intermittent project

1993 rustless wonder
                  A shell, awaiting suspension, brakes, and B6T

Comment

2013-09-06
                    689.1 mi
                    9.831 gal (US)
                    $3.67
                    ($36.08 total for this fill)
                    70.09 mpg (US)

I was aiming for 700 miles on this tank but I was below empty so I chickened out.
                    My Fuel Log

See post #10 for my tips on fuel economy

Comment

Originally posted by mikeyjd View Post
                      2013-09-06
                      689.1 mi
                      9.831 gal (US)
                      $3.67
                      ($36.08 total for this fill)
                      70.09 mpg (US)

I was aiming for 700 miles on this tank but I was below empty so I chickened out.
                      Wow that's some serious mileage from a tank Mike.You might have just been able to coast to the pump getting 7 mpg per 1/10 of fuel! Wow you must have the patience of a Saint to drive that consistent. I always have good intentions but I always find myself going faster and faster.:sad5: Please try to get us a cell pic next fill up.
                      edit: I know for sure on my gauge that E = exactly 2 gals to go.
                      Last edited by nitrofarm; 05-16-2014, 12:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by nitrofarm View Post
                        Wow that's some serious mileage from a tank Mike.You might have just been able to coast to the pump getting 7 mpg per 1/10 of fuel! Wow you must have the patience of a Saint to drive that consistent. I always have good intentions but I always find myself going faster and faster.:sad5: Please try to get us a cell pic next fill up.
                        edit: I know for sure on my gauge that E = exactly 2 gals to go.
                        Yeah. I knew about where I was just based on the miles, but I was a bit out in the middle of nowhere, so I didn't want to push it to the next town and get stuck on the side of the road The challenge of getting ultimate fuel economy is very fun for me and overrides those feelings of impatience, whenever they rear their ugly head.
                        Last edited by mikeyjd; 05-16-2014, 01:53 PM.
                        My Fuel Log

See post #10 for my tips on fuel economy

Comment

You guys are true daredevils!

I don't think I've ever put in more than 8.6 gallons of gas. Usually it's between 7 and 8.

Karl
                          '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
                          '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
                          '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
                          '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
                          '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

I drove mine dry last week as I had been having issues with cutting out below 1/4 tank. I replaced the strainer, pump, and filter. So I was testing low tank and drove till it stopped. I put in 2 gallons, drove 4 miles and put in 7.6 more. And no sputtering until the final time.
                            Last edited by jawja jim; 05-17-2014, 04:03 PM.
                            "Blue92"- 92L 5 spd, original owner- 185K, B8,DD..
                            "Pedro"-88L 5-spd, B6D (built by Advancedynamix)
                            "Blanca"-92 GL auto, 125K(FM8 Lowest Miles)- B6 daughter's DD
                            "Tractor Blue"- 89 L auto, 110K
                            "Chester"-88 LX, runs but not street legal
                            "Wenona"-89L parts car
                            "Flame"- 89 LX 5 spd ,parts car

Comment

Originally posted by Safety Guy View Post
                              You guys are true daredevils!

I don't think I've ever put in more than 8.6 gallons of gas. Usually it's between 7 and 8.

Karl
                              The main reason I started pushing it was so when I'm in the rural areas. I'll know exactly how far I can go to the nearest pump. But I would say that at E its pretty safe to say most Festy's have 2 gal remaining.So all you have to do is the simple math and you know @ how far you'll get.

Comment

Working...
                              X