Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will a Festy hold up to flat towing around the country?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will a Festy hold up to flat towing around the country?

I'm curious if a standard transmission 1993 festy L can be safely flat towed for extended periods? My plan is to hook it on the back of my RV and tow it (all 4 wheels on the pavement) from NY to Ca and back tp NY this winter.

Thoughts?

thanks!
    Last edited by d0n; 05-16-2014, 04:02 AM.

I'm sure you'll get more details from others. I've flat towed (all four wheels on the ground festivas for thousands of miles, without any problem. I've heard and understand the concern about towing an auto trans, but I've down that too for thousands of miles without any ill effects.
    Because....45 MPG.

Comment

Dennis (don't know his forum name) flat towed his nephews car to either fm4 or fm5 from Minnesota and back, IIRC.

Running around outside the asylum again with my tappy talky appy
      Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
      Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
      "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

It shouldn't be a problem with a 5 speed. It can cause problem with an automatic, however, since you don't get proper lubrication without the oil pump running.
        My Fuel Log

See post #10 for my tips on fuel economy

Comment

Originally posted by mikeyjd View Post
          It shouldn't be a problem with a 5 speed. It can cause problem with an automatic, however, since you don't get proper lubrication without the oil pump running.
          Yeah, makes me kinda laugh at all the RVs flat-towing their cars behind them when I am 99% sure they are automatics being flat-towed.

4-speed of 5-Speed should be perfectly fine. Hell when I first bought mine, and it had a rear wheel bearing in pieces, and I had to tow it on a dolly from the rear wheels, so it was like 30 or so miles of towing with the front wheels on the ground spinning in reverse at highway speeds (Transmission in neutral) and had no issues. Transmission even has 316k miles on it, and is still rock solid.
          Last edited by TorqueEffect; 05-16-2014, 12:19 PM.
          1991 Ford Festiva BP (Full Aspire/Rio Swap) (337k Miles) (Around 95k Engine)
          2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport 2.2L DOHC Ecotec (Threw a Rod)
          1998 Chevy Monte Carlo LS 3.1 V6 (225k miles) Best MPG = 28

Comment

Towing a FWD car shouldn't be a problem since the final drive gear in the transmission slings oil up onto all the gears. Now a RWD is a different story. Only the top shaft turns when towing and the bearings on the top shaft will eventually get dry because the bottom gears don't turn to sling any oil up on the gears. Voice of experience - we towed a RWD truck for about 120 miles. At 115 miles, the transmission locked up.
            You gonna race that thing?
            http://www.sdfcomputers.com/Festivaracing.htm

Comment

Originally posted by Festy46 View Post
              Towing a FWD car shouldn't be a problem since the final drive gear in the transmission slings oil up onto all the gears. Now a RWD is a different story. Only the top shaft turns when towing and the bearings on the top shaft will eventually get dry because the bottom gears don't turn to sling any oil up on the gears. Voice of experience - we towed a RWD truck for about 120 miles. At 115 miles, the transmission locked up.
              I bet that was fun. :p
              1991 Ford Festiva BP (Full Aspire/Rio Swap) (337k Miles) (Around 95k Engine)
              2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport 2.2L DOHC Ecotec (Threw a Rod)
              1998 Chevy Monte Carlo LS 3.1 V6 (225k miles) Best MPG = 28

Comment

Haha I've done that before too. Old parts rangers rear end locked up on me. Flipped it around on the tow dolly drove home.
                A lot of people have used festys behind motor homes for yrs.
                1988 Ford Festiva "Sonic" BPT g25mr MS2 standalone ecu, FOTY '11, Best Beater FMV, Fan Favorite FMVI

1989 Ford Mustang GT 5.slow

1996 Ford F-150

Comment

My car (Larry) spent half its life being flat-towed behind an RV. So no, there is no problem.
                  90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                  09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Originally posted by TominMO View Post
                    My car (Larry) spent half its life being flat-towed behind an RV. So no, there is no problem.
                    awesome! Thanks for all the replies. i feel confident now.

Comment

So is there a "better than other" kit for outfitting a Festy for RV tow duty?

Comment

I had a 91 Festiva that I bought with 245k on the clock and a huge detachable heavy assed steel wishbone shaped towing gizmo on the front bumper obviously used to tow it behind a motor home. The windscreen was peppered with teeny chips that caught the sun and caused a glare at certain times of the day, caused most likely during the towing process. In short, if you intend to extensively tow it, I would cover the wind shield with something.

Comment

Working...
                        X