Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

you Cali guys think the dmv would notice.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• you Cali guys think the dmv would notice.

you guys think the dmv could tell if a engine came out of a 91 or a 93 Capri xr2. cuz my car is a 93 and i forgot to check the year on the Capri in the junkyard. i'm saying worst case its a 91 Capri. and in Cali it only legal to swap in the same year or newer engine.so yea you guys think the dmv would notice if i said it was out of a 93 but it was actually out of a 91? sorry if this is confusing.

Originally posted by 2jzkilla View Post
    you guys think the dmv could tell if a engine came out of a 91 or a 93 Capri xr2. cuz my car is a 93 and i forgot to check the year on the Capri in the junkyard. i'm saying worst case its a 91 Capri. and in Cali it only legal to swap in the same year or newer engine.so yea you guys think the dmv would notice if i said it was out of a 93 but it was actually out of a 91? sorry if this is confusing.
    I don't think there is any possible way for them to tell it was out of a 91' if that is the case. I don't think the B-series motors have anything on them that say what year they were built or anything that can truly identify them.
    1991 Ford Festiva BP (Full Aspire/Rio Swap) (337k Miles) (Around 95k Engine)
    2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport 2.2L DOHC Ecotec (Threw a Rod)
    1998 Chevy Monte Carlo LS 3.1 V6 (225k miles) Best MPG = 28

Comment

If they notice, it's time for you to pack up and move outta there.
      Last edited by bravekozak; 05-17-2014, 10:38 AM.

Comment

Will they ask for previous donor paper work like recipts or vins? I love cali but never would want to live there. Its like it own hippy tree huggin nation.

Comment

lol yea the emissions thing sucks. they couldn't possibly ask for papers on the engine cuz its out of the junkyard.
          Last edited by 2jzkilla; 05-17-2014, 11:07 AM.

Comment

Write yourself out a receipt that says it's a '93 engine, stencil "VINTAGE 1993" on the valve cover, and then train a parrot to sit in your car saying "powered by a 1993--1993--awwwwk!"

They won't have a clue!

Karl
            '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
            '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
            '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
            '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
            '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

There are definitely no Identifying numbers an a B3 engine. Tried like hell to find out what year engine had been put in my car by a previous owner. Ford tech, and parts guy both said they have no identifying marks. The NSA could prob'ly tell. But not the DMV.
              1989 Festiva L (work in progress)
              2005 CTS R.I.P.
              1987 FJ-6O gone but not forgotten

Comment

Capri b6t engine numbers are the same as the vin chassis number of the car they came out of.
                Number start with UL then a number.

They could find out if they really wanted to, but I would doubt it.
                1988 MAZDA 121- B6T + G5MR SWAP IN PROGRESS.

Comment

If you use a mazda 323 engine, the engine numbers start with B6 then a serial number.
                  Impossible to trace
                  1988 MAZDA 121- B6T + G5MR SWAP IN PROGRESS.

Comment

I do not remember them checking my engine. It was caked with grease anyways. Unless its a Honda they won't really probe that hard because they really have no clue what they are looking at.
                    91 Festiva BP Autocross/Track/Rallycross hopeful
                    14 C7 Z51

Comment

This is don't understand either: lets say you have a fully BARRED and legal swap that cracks a block years later? dead forever waiting for another 1992 to come along or can a 1991 be used?

You might as well try to get the vin that matches the year as much as you can, all or nothing

if the engine and head do not give it away, your wiring harness and ecu will . See if you can at least score 1993 electronics and have the vin of the car you got them from.
                      Last edited by getnpsi; 05-19-2014, 10:35 PM.
                      1993 GL 5 speed

It's a MazdaFordnKia thing, and you will understand!

Comment

First, and this is important, they can tell I've been there!

But if the car looks stock the smog place will go no futher than plugging it in to the dmv computer and smog it for you, they don't check for engine swaps at a smog place they just tell you if the DMV says yes or no on a PASS.

So if your engine swap looks stone stock and the motor runs clean they'll never know. The visual check is to make sure everything is there not for vin or engine numbers, thats what a referree is for and I've been there as well!

The REF I went to with my 72 Vega swap actually told me the model and year and original engine configuration of the 327 I put in, I found it in a back yard without the car attached! I did know the year because of the engine number so wasn't surprised he new that but knowing it was an original 4 barrel carb motor was an eye opener!

They are trained to look for the obvious, exhaust, blowers and the like and even these are legal if the have a CARB approval number on them!

Bottom line if it looks like it came that way and runs clean your gonna be good

Comment

Working...
                        X