Royal Purple 5w-30 Motor oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Royal Purple 5w-30 Motor oil

Has anyone else tried this? I recently put it in my b6t and my stock Aspire.

The 5w-30 that I HAD in the aspire, after all winter and about 6k miles, was causing the lifters to make that loud tapping/rattling noise for about 10 seconds after startup.

Normally I would go with a 10w-30 blend for the summertime, but I had some cash in my pocket and went with the Royal Purple brand this time. Mainly because it's expensive and "you get what you pay for."

Immediately the startup tapping went away, and I haven't noticed much ticking at all, none to speak of compared to using other brands of 5w-30 in the summertime in past years.

It's purple, usually I would change the oil when it starts turning black on the dipstick, so I am wondering if I will be able to use the same method for determining oil change time with this oil?
    2008 Kia Rio- new beater
    1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
    1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
    1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
    1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
    1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
    1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
    1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

I don't think Royal Purple is any better than say Mobile 1, but I hear allot of good things.
    Also I am sure your method for checking when it is starting to get dirty would still apply, since the purple is nothing but a dye. So it will eventually turn black as well, or at least a darker shape of purple. :p

I was thinking of starting to go full synthetic just for the larger intervals between changes to save some money.
    1991 Ford Festiva BP (Full Aspire/Rio Swap) (337k Miles) (Around 95k Engine)
    2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport 2.2L DOHC Ecotec (Threw a Rod)
    1998 Chevy Monte Carlo LS 3.1 V6 (225k miles) Best MPG = 28

Comment

I run nothing but RP 5-30 in my 95 Probe GT. Once I get my Festy broken in I will be running the same in It as well.

Comment

I have a 98 2500 4x4 v10 dodge on 44's all i run in it is Royal Purple its a great oil but expensive cost me 100$ dollar bill just to do an oil change
        Attached Files

Comment

Full synthetic oil is great, but it is also great at finding and worsening oil leaks. Look it up.
          The molecules are smoother and flow better,
          91 festiva L five speed red/black
          74 Honda cl200
          89 festiva Lx efi automatic grey
          90 festiva L aqua blue parts car

Comment

Yes that is true it does make u stay up on preventive maintenance seals gaskets etc.

Sent from my LG-L38C using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Originally posted by grantjp View Post
              The molecules are smoother and flow better,
              What is a smoother molecule?
              Are there sharp or jagged ones too?
              '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
              '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
              '92 Aqua parts Car
              '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
              '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
              Your holy ghost will not save you.
              Your God plutonium will not save you.
              In fact...
              ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

It's not about smoother molecules. Dino oil absorbs into seals and makes them swell a tiny amount. Synthetic oil does not. So when all the dino oil leaves the seals for lack of a better term, they shrink and the synthetic oil has an escape route. That's why you don't switch to synthetic. You switch to dino oil

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Comment

Valvoline maxlife is my pic
                  74 Honda cl200

Comment

Uh, both synthetic and "dino" oil are long chain hydrocarbons.
                    The seals of an engine are crosslinked polymers they will absorb small molecular weight hydrocarbons, synthetic or "dino", but they are not going to swell.
                    Why would Dino oil leave the seal?

It was true when synthetic oil first cam out they had issues of increased leak rates, but they have been reformulated and that is no longer and issue.
                    Yes, "look it up".
                    You can mix and match and move from one to anther with out issue other than cost.

Synethtic oils are made by cracking large chain molecules to smaller ones and reacting smaller ones to larger ones.
                    All done while controlling the chain length distribution, chain branching, and terminal end groups of the "oil" molecules.
                    Which improves the stability of the "oil" molecules against shear and thermal break down, also improvements in anti-oxidants has also helped make synthetic oils more durable.
                    Additionally, any multi-viscosity oil has a substantial fraction of it mass in large molecular weight polymers that through temperature and entanglement cause the increase in viscosity as the temperature of the oil rises and lower it as it get colder.

BTW, r34king good to see you back!
                    Haven't seen you at madness, or at least not since the first one!
                    '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
                    '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
                    '92 Aqua parts Car
                    '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
                    '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
                    Your holy ghost will not save you.
                    Your God plutonium will not save you.
                    In fact...
                    ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

I stand corrected then. Old info retained in the skull cavity I guess.

I have been sort of out of the festiva world for a while. I got rid of my beat up car that you saw at the first meet. I have another sitting in my yard but it needs a lot of work. Soon I'll be back in the game. Just not enough time in the day and working on cars for a living makes you not want to work on them when you get hime

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Comment

You sailed that gooderer than me
                        74 Honda cl200

Comment

Said
                          74 Honda cl200

Comment

Originally posted by Pu241 View Post
                            ...Synethtic oils are made by cracking large chain molecules to smaller ones and reacting smaller ones to larger ones.
                            All done while controlling the chain length distribution, chain branching, and terminal end groups of the "oil" molecules.
                            Which improves the stability of the "oil" molecules against shear and thermal break down, also improvements in anti-oxidants has also helped make synthetic oils more durable.
                            Additionally, any multi-viscosity oil has a substantial fraction of it mass in large molecular weight polymers that through temperature and entanglement cause the increase in viscosity as the temperature of the oil rises and lower it as it get colder...
                            Are these your words? Or are they copied and pasted? Good juju if pasted, mucho good juju if they are yours.
                            Last edited by Gomez; 05-22-2014, 10:13 PM.
                            -Bryant

Comment

Originally posted by Gomez View Post
                              Are these your words? Or are they copied and pasted? Good juju if pasted, mucho good juju if they are yours.
                              Lol, five to one the good reverend typed that with one eye on a nice piece of... Code for his SETI box.

Running around outside the asylum again with my tappy talky appy
                              Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
                              Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
                              "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

Working...
                              X