Off on another road trip...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Off on another road trip...

Sharon and I headed off in the Festiva for a week long road trip earlier today.Here's the link to the first day's blog entry. We saw waterfalls, two black bears, a grizzly and lots of bridges.

Our route will take us from Calgary to Creston BC. From there we'll be heading to Osoyoos via Nelson. After a couple of days in Osoyoos soaking up the sun we'll make our way to the Vancouver BC area. On the way home we'll be overnighting in Kelowna and Revelstoke.

If things go according to plan we'll be using three free ferries on the trip. The first one is the longest free ferry in the world!
    Ian
    Calgary AB, Canada
    93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
    59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

I like free. I liked your pictures too.

Comment

Nice pictures. Looking forward to some more!
      1993 Ford Festiva L blue 170,000 miles
      1990 Ford Festiva L Plus white 190,000 Auto, currently waiting to have another engine put in.
      1995 Ford F150 XLT black 203,000 miles
      2002 Honda CRV silver 180,000 miles
      2003 Toyota Rav4 Sport black 94,000 miles
      2008 Sym Rv250 dark grey 30,000 miles. My scooter.
      1989 Ford Festiva LX black 233,000 miles. Sold to my better half's son.

Mike

Comment

Dang Ian - you really get around! Wish I could be doing a little more driving and a little less working...
        - Form should follow function...

Comment

So awesome I'm due for a good road trip! Have fun Ian!
          -M3NTAL MARK! Woo!!

Comment

Thanks for comments! I'll be posting an update on the blog later today. Currently sitting in Osoyoos BC... forecast high is 29°C (84°F). Probably going to be sitting on the beach for most of the afternoon . Heading to Vancouver tomorrow.

Sent from somewhere west of here via Tapatalk!
            Ian
            Calgary AB, Canada

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Comment

Blog entry for day two is up! Enjoy.
              Ian
              Calgary AB, Canada

Comment

Great drive yesterday. Dinner on the patio with son and daughter-in-law in Burnaby BC last night... conference in Abbotsford today... off to Kelowna tonight. Watch for blog updates soon.

Spotted a 1941 Chev Super Deluxe at one of our stops:

Sent from somewhere west of here via Tapatalk!
                Last edited by fastivaca; 06-06-2014, 01:38 PM.
                Ian
                Calgary AB, Canada

Comment

Blog updated!

Awoke to another beautiful day with hardly a cloud in the sky. Our travels on this day would take us westward along Highway 3 through Cawsto...

Thanks for your interest!

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2
                  Ian
                  Calgary AB, Canada

Comment

Blog for day 6 is posted!
                    Ian
                    Calgary AB, Canada

Comment

I too was camping in Osoyoos 3 weeks ago. Found this baby (and three others) just outside Hedley. My retired auto mechanic/welder/diesel nut buddy lusts over these classic Power Wagons and has plans to graft a Cummins diesel into one. We may well be making a pilgrimage from Ontario with a flatbed trailer in tow. I drove one of these 45 years ago (a 1946 model) and boy were they ever a beast. 74 horsepower gas engine and it would walk up a cliff.

Comment

I just finished up the last post for the road trip late last night.

A couple of observations about this trip...

- Driving the twisty, rolling two lane black top can be a lot more enjoyable than the multi lane, flat and straight major highways even if the speed limits are lower
                        - With the suspension setup I'm running (Tein coil-overs all four corners, Festiva front sway bar, Aspire rear sway bar, Aspire brakes) along with the B6 swap the Festiva was a blast to drive. It carried speed well into and through the corners without a lot of body lean. Having supportive seats (first generation Toyota MR2) helps too.
                        - Sometimes there's a lot more to see on the roads less travelled. So next time you're planning a trip remember there can be lots of cool things between points A and B that may be worth a look.

Looking forward to our next road trip! Thanks for your interest, oh, and if you visit the blog please leave a comment or two!
                        Ian
                        Calgary AB, Canada

Comment

Working...
                        X