Weight of engine.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weight of engine.

Can anyon givev me a rough estimate of how much the engine weighs without the engine head on it and all accessories removed. Ive read the engine/ trans is about 275 and the trans is about 30 the cylinder head with intake stuff felt like it weighed about 40 pounds. 200 lbs seems like a lot of weight for that little thing. Im trying to judge if I can pull it out alone with no engine crane or if I am going to need a hand.
    91 Festiva L "Erika" b3t swap on the way
    06 Jeep Cherokee Overland
    95 Aspire (sold)

the tranny is a lot more than 30 pounds. But if you are trying to pull the engine....you will need help. Picking it up out of the car is one thing. In the car is just plain awkward and next to impossible in my opinion. Having to lean over and then pull up and over the fender or core support would take some unusual strength.
    "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
    89L Silver EFI auto
    91GL Green Auto DD
    There ain't no rest for the wicked
    until we close our eyes for good.
    I will sleep when I die!
    I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

Originally posted by GenevaDirt View Post
      the tranny is a lot more than 30 pounds. But if you are trying to pull the engine....you will need help. Picking it up out of the car is one thing. In the car is just plain awkward and next to impossible in my opinion. Having to lean over and then pull up and over the fender or core support would take some unusual strength.

Ok, thank you I will get someone to come help me tomorrow. I am just trying to get it loose right now. It seems i am missing a bolt on the front somewhere. I have got the 4 large ones, one smaller one above the passenger cv axle and one more smaller one that i don't think mattered over in the front. It still seems like it dosent want to let go.
      95 Aspire (sold)

Comment

Ok figured it out. I'm beginning to think I need to take the accessory pulley off first. Oh well done for tonight.
        95 Aspire (sold)

Comment

No need to remove any pulleys.
          No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

If you don't want a permanent back injury for the rest of your life, rent an engine hoist and use the two ears that stick up on either side of the cylinder head.
            Last edited by bravekozak; 06-16-2014, 05:10 AM.

Comment

I have this friend who was in the air force when he was younger. Said guys were fiddling around the garage one day trying to remove an engine with a crane. Don't know what the issue was. Maybe they didn't take the hood off. Whatever.

Anyway, he walks up with a short piece of chain, attaches it somehow, and hefts it out by himself. He also would lay transmissions on his chest(with his arms) and wheel them out from under the car on a creeper. Though one hip is gone his back is still perfectly fine at 70 something. Just saying it's possible.

2 guys could do it with a pole and some chain, no problem. Would probably be far faster than a crane too.
              Last edited by sketchman; 06-16-2014, 08:34 AM.
              Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
              91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

I knew someone who used to pull engines out and carry them when he was young ..... Now he walks around like an 80 year old man at the age of 50. All his discs in his back are shattered or ruptured. He told me if he had it to do over again, he would have used an engine hoist or something.
                Outcomes are different for people ....
                1993 Ford Festiva L blue 170,000 miles
                1990 Ford Festiva L Plus white 190,000 Auto, currently waiting to have another engine put in.
                1995 Ford F150 XLT black 203,000 miles
                2002 Honda CRV silver 180,000 miles
                2003 Toyota Rav4 Sport black 94,000 miles
                2008 Sym Rv250 dark grey 30,000 miles. My scooter.
                1989 Ford Festiva LX black 233,000 miles. Sold to my better half's son.

Mike

Comment

I have found at pep boys there is an engine lift on sale for 150 dollars. This is probably what i will do. To rent one would cost about 50 dollars a day. I can just buy this one, use it for as long as i like and then sell it for 100 dollars. Will the hood have to be removed or can you get away with not removing it?>
                  95 Aspire (sold)

Comment

Shouldn't need to remove the hood. Pulled and dropped complete engines with hood still in place.

Sent from my LG-LS720 using Tapatalk
                    1991 Ford Festiva BP (Full Aspire/Rio Swap) (337k Miles) (Around 95k Engine)
                    2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport 2.2L DOHC Ecotec (Threw a Rod)
                    1998 Chevy Monte Carlo LS 3.1 V6 (225k miles) Best MPG = 28

Comment

Thank you. Ill post photos tonight.
                      95 Aspire (sold)

Comment

Fuuustration! I can't get it to come out. It looks like it's stuck on something down by the cv axle but I don't see anything. Any idea?
                        95 Aspire (sold)

Comment

Yea the block plate likes to get stuck on the cv axle housing when your trying to separate the input shaft from the clutch. You'll probably have to just force it. Don't forget to grind off a little to clearance for that when you put it back in and life will be easier.

Iirc, should be the two block to tranny brackets front/rear, then the starter bolts, 4 10mm bolts 2 front 2 back, 4 main bolts.......for some reason it seems like there's another 14mm on the backside by the axle but you should see it or know if the thing doesn't want to separate at all. If it gets stuck 3/16-1/4" separated, it's the block plate.

Try not to lift the fromt of the engine up or down too much without the tranny being tilted too, I hear it can bend the input shaft but I've never done it that I know of, part of the instructions for my southbend clutch...
                          Last edited by zoom zoom; 06-16-2014, 03:40 PM.
                          2008 Kia Rio- new beater
                          1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
                          1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
                          1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
                          1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
                          1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
                          1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
                          1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

Thanks zoom. I.just shook the holy living ... out of it and it came right out. Posting photos in my garage thread in a minute
                            95 Aspire (sold)

Comment

I know you have it out now and this is no help, but the wife and I once lifted the engine out with a two by four and a couple of coat hangers. Later, another member on here and I used a 2X4 and tie downs. One person on each side of the car, get a shoulder under the 2X4 and stand up...
                              Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
                              Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
                              "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

Working...
                              X