Intermittent starting problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intermittent starting problems

Greetings! I have developed an intermittent starting problem with my five-speed equipped ’91 Festiva that is slowly getting worse. When the key is turned, there is only a click, not a starter click. After cycling the key a few times from run to start, the starter will engage as normal and the engine starts. Sometimes the starter will engage the first time; sometimes it takes a couple of turns of the key to make it happen. The battery and its connections are fine, the dash lights are doing their thing, and I recently replaced the starter; all with the same results. I thought about bypassing the clutch pedal safety switch only for test purposes. I was also thinking about replacing the starter ignition switch but it seems no one has one unless I hit the wrecking yards again. Anyone out there run across this issue and was able to resolve it?
    '91 Festiva with roller cam '97 Aspire head. Still wish I could do burn outs, but the mileage is nice!!!

Try re-seating the connector that powers the solenoid/bendix on the starter
    -Zack
    Blue '93 GL Auto: White 13" 5 Point Wheels, Full LED Conversion, and an 8" Sub

Comment

Before you replace your ignition switch, clean all ring terminals on the starter, clean all of your fusible link terminals, replace any dirty old fusible links with new long leg push on fuses, and most importantly, follow the wires back from the starter to the connector near the left headlamp. Clean the terminals in that connector. It isn't a weathertight connector.
      I reterninated mine with brand new brass terminals. No problemo.
      Last edited by bravekozak; 06-24-2014, 04:01 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X