Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What 155/80r12 to get besides Kumhos? (not having good luck with them)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What 155/80r12 to get besides Kumhos? (not having good luck with them)

They always seem to go out of round on me. Now it could be due to bad struts or shocks I guessn but I've watched the hispanic dude at the independent shop balance them so that should be good. Plus with the 13" Michelins it rides fine. I'm always on the lookout for a +1, +2 or +3 upgrade on wheels that wont break the bank but I'm hurting for tires and I'm thinking of flipping the red and white cars. The white car needs tires and the A/C charged for max $$$ and the red car needs the A/C installed as well as tires. Gonna put my two sets of factory aluminum wheels on them, probably paint the white car's white and maybe play with my polisher and polish the face of the ones going on red and argent the holes. Oh and tint the windows.

1. Nankang CX668? Have not heard anything good about these, belts break and go out of round?

2. Federal SS-657? This is the only one on this list I have a decent feeling about.

3. Eldorado Classic A/S?

4. Eldorado Golden Fury GFT?

5. Vanderbilt All Season?

6. Maxxis MA-202?

7. Multimile Epic Tour?
    Last edited by Larry Hampton; 07-04-2014, 06:05 AM.
    1963 Fairlane - future NSS drag car
    1965 Mustang Coupe - A-code car, restoring for/with my son
    1973 F100 longbed - only 22k original miles, 360/auto, disk, PS/PB dealer in dash A/C
    1996 Sonoma X-cab - son's DD
    2002 Grand Prix - daughter's DD
    2003 Sport Trac - 180k, 130k on replaced motor with new timing chains - F/S soon.
    2005 Accord - wife's DD
    2008 Mountaineer - step daughter's DD
    2015 F150 SCrew - DD

I bought Cooper brand quite a few years ago. Don't know if they still exist. Canadian Tire still (or did until recently) lists 145/80-12s. What I hated about all 12s (I tried lots of them) is there are no premium tires (Michelin/Toyo/Pirelli etc) available and consequently ride never was very good until the car underwent the Aspire swap which allowed a switch over to Nokian 155/65-14s that rolled like a million bucks.

Comment

I guess I will never know how comfortable a Festy can be then. I am super cheap when it comes to tires, as long as they are safe and last at least 40k miles. $100+ each for 13" or even 14" tires for that matter is ridiculous.
      1991 Ford Festiva BP (Full Aspire/Rio Swap) (337k Miles) (Around 95k Engine)
      2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport 2.2L DOHC Ecotec (Threw a Rod)
      1998 Chevy Monte Carlo LS 3.1 V6 (225k miles) Best MPG = 28

Comment

I think you need to sell the wifes Black car and keep the Red and White ones, ok so I know that's not going to fly, how about posting up some pic's of the two cars your thinking of selling. can't hurt to get an early start.
        An idea can turn to dust or magic, depending on the talent that rubs against it.

Comment

Before or after I put the BP in the black car? Lol!!!
          1973 F100 longbed - only 22k original miles, 360/auto, disk, PS/PB dealer in dash A/C
          2003 Sport Trac - 180k, 130k on replaced motor with new timing chains - F/S soon.
          2005 Accord - wife's DD
          2015 F150 SCrew - DD

Comment

Yokohama? Had some on red car when I got it. Seemed like they did alright. I went to 14" after a while though, I wanted bigger tires.

After thinking about it, probably all the 12" are not gonna be that good. Most made overseas and cheaply made

Right now ..the Maxxis is on sale at PEP BOYS tires online for $163 for 4 of them total ...free shipping! That is a great price.

Use the promo code on their site to get the deal
            Last edited by drddan; 07-05-2014, 01:37 AM.
            Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
            Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
            Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
            Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
            http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

The Yokos would be the only "premium" tire I know of:

Tires-easy choices in 165/70:

Caveat: Charlie has had bad experiences with this company, but I've had at least four good deliveries with no problems.

Karl
              '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
              '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
              '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
              '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
              '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

I don't think Yokohama makes them anymore. My hope is for some recent experience with someone buying new tires. Maxxis didn't come up on my radar. I've even considered buying 12" trailer tires and rims from Walmart/TSC but the bolt pattern and offset are wrong.
                2005 Accord - wife's DD
                2015 F150 SCrew - DD

Comment

I had some 31/10.50/15 maxxis murder buck shot tires lol
                  They were good tires.
                  I would not buy trailer tires.
                  I did have some 155/12 good ride tires that didn't last long but did wear even and stayed round. They were like 30 bucks each installed.

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Hampton View Post
                    Before or after I put the BP in the black car? Lol!!!
                    There ya go, that would make for a nice ride.
                    An idea can turn to dust or magic, depending on the talent that rubs against it.

Comment

I just got 3 sets of Yokohamas on Tire Easy.com the past 3 months. I got the 145's first to try them. Then I got the 165's. I like the 165's the best. They run quieter and it's a bigger/wider tire than the 145's
                      1993 Ford Festiva L blue 170,000 miles
                      1990 Ford Festiva L Plus white 190,000 Auto, currently waiting to have another engine put in.
                      1995 Ford F150 XLT black 203,000 miles
                      2002 Honda CRV silver 180,000 miles
                      2003 Toyota Rav4 Sport black 94,000 miles
                      2008 Sym Rv250 dark grey 30,000 miles. My scooter.
                      1989 Ford Festiva LX black 233,000 miles. Sold to my better half's son.

Mike

Comment

Thank you.
                        2005 Accord - wife's DD
                        2015 F150 SCrew - DD

Comment

I ended up ordering a set of Maxxis MA-202s. I figured for a 50k tire at $41/each it was worth a try.

You can see me cleaning up a set of aluminum Festy rims in my "I wished I had a tire machine" thread.

Kicking around the idea of painting them white with appliance paint. For now they'll go on the red car but once the white car's A/C is fixed they'll go in it and it'll be for sale. Probably with GL interior and possibly a white wing.
                          2005 Accord - wife's DD
                          2015 F150 SCrew - DD

Comment

Working...
                          X