Blown head gasket :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blown head gasket :(

Hey people I've just called out a mobile machanic because my festy was running on 3 cylinders and i found out its a blown head gasket. Should I bother to fix it or buy a new one I can get another one for $400?

Can someone explain how blown head gaskets occur??

Buy a new head gasket for 20 bucks. ,buy a 30 pack for 25 bucks. Buy festiva.

For 450 bucks you now have had a good time and have 2 working cars. Still costs less than doing anything to my jeep
    91 Festiva L "Erika" b3t swap on the way
    06 Jeep Cherokee Overland
    95 Aspire (sold)

Comment

There are different causes. On a car with the original head gasket assuming it lasts quite a long time before blowing then its likely an overheating problem. If it happen fairly early after being built then either defective gasket, poor engine design or perhaps an assembly error. If your car has already had a head gasket replaced a number of other issues come into play too, like incorrect installation or the head or block where not in proper condition to receive the head gasket. In some cases, someone might reuse head bolts that are to be replace (one use) or they could be torqued incorrectly. I don't know anything specific about the festiva engine.

Should you replace the head gasket or replace the engine. Generally, I would say replace the gasket myself but you need to verify that head and block are ok during the process which could lead to engine swap or head swap.

Comment

Buy your own head gasket, tools, and a manual. Fix it yourself with a mechanically-inclined friend giving advice. Pay him in beer, pizza, or both. Much cheaper than paying the mobile guy, and now you have tools, a manual, and experience. Winning! :-)
        90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
        09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Originally posted by cburkett65 View Post
          There are different causes. On a car with the original head gasket assuming it lasts quite a long time before blowing then its likely an overheating problem. If it happen fairly early after being built then either defective gasket, poor engine design or perhaps an assembly error. If your car has already had a head gasket replaced a number of other issues come into play too, like incorrect installation or the head or block where not in proper condition to receive the head gasket. In some cases, someone might reuse head bolts that are to be replace (one use) or they could be torqued incorrectly. I don't know anything specific about the festiva engine.

Should you replace the head gasket or replace the engine. Generally, I would say replace the gasket myself but you need to verify that head and block are ok during the process which could lead to engine swap or head swap.
          Festiva head bolts can be reused

But yes, if the head is warped, or didn't get milled, that would be a reason why the head gasket would have failed after being recently replaced.
          1991 Ford Festiva BP (Full Aspire/Rio Swap) (337k Miles) (Around 95k Engine)
          2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport 2.2L DOHC Ecotec (Threw a Rod)
          1998 Chevy Monte Carlo LS 3.1 V6 (225k miles) Best MPG = 28

Comment

In my experience, the head gasket will fail if the car is started and driven hard immediately. I blew mine traveling home from class when I jumped on the freeway just spitting distance from the parking lot. Also, these old cars have had plenty of abuse so it's not unusual to have a gasket go.

I've done a few head gaskets on B3s... The whole head, intake and exhaust manifold comes off pretty easily. Clean the mating surfaces and check with a straight edge for warping. Many will balk at the thought of replacing a head gasket without milling the head, but if the surfaces are straight and clean there won't be a problem.

With the proper tools (the few like a torque wrench and 12 point 12mm socket etc..) the job can be done in a day or a weekend at most. The ford service manual is helpful to get an idea of what to do but there are lots of shortcuts. Man, I did a write up a few years ago that would be easier to dig up on my laptop.. Try searching for it with the search filter and my username.
            -Zack
            Blue '93 GL Auto: White 13" 5 Point Wheels, Full LED Conversion, and an 8" Sub

Comment

Thanks for your help/information everyone. Cheers crazyrog17 none of my mates would help me rude as they were all to busy. I idiot me went to wreckers and got them to install a new motor cost $740 all up with a couple of gaskets ripped me of hard so I had a go at the idiots. Now still running like crap as the choke is stuck on and they put wood in it to get it off. Untill I find a new carby or some crap so over everything right now

Cheers people much appreciated?!?!!?

Comment

Originally posted by crazyrog17 View Post
                In my experience, the head gasket will fail if the car is started and driven hard immediately. I blew mine traveling home from class when I jumped on the freeway just spitting distance from the parking lot. Also, these old cars have had plenty of abuse so it's not unusual to have a gasket go.

I've done a few head gaskets on B3s... The whole head, intake and exhaust manifold comes off pretty easily. Clean the mating surfaces and check with a straight edge for warping. Many will balk at the thought of replacing a head gasket without milling the head, but if the surfaces are straight and clean there won't be a problem.

With the proper tools (the few like a torque wrench and 12 point 12mm socket etc..) the job can be done in a day or a weekend at most. The ford service manual is helpful to get an idea of what to do but there are lots of shortcuts. Man, I did a write up a few years ago that would be easier to dig up on my laptop.. Try searching for it with the search filter and my username.
                Thanks

Comment

unchanged weak oil and coolant can diminish the life of gaskets-

the oil can't hold back ignition pressure as well
                  while weak old coolant can cause rust and deposits in the motor and system-

be glad the head isn't blown, but it could also be an excellent time to replace that with a rebuilt head if the motor already has a lot of miles-

almost bought a Metro 3 cylinder firefly 1.0 liter when I saw the remanufactured heads are less than $200.

But then again- so are Festiva/Aspire!

$20 head gasket:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Engine-Cylin...e&vxp=mtrmotor gasket set $47

Couldn't do it myself tho- too old, and never timed the motor- don't want to start now!
                  Last edited by harpon; 08-25-2014, 09:36 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X