Hub size?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hub size?

anyone know the hub diameter (in mm) for stock festiva?
    And does anyone know the hub bore width (also mm) on the 14" American Racing Estrella?
    I've googled to no avail
    Thanks
    Est. 1989 "Bringing laughter and festiva awesomeness to the world since birth" banana time

Are you talking for the wheel bolt pattern?..... 4x114.3mm

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
    1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
    2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

I think he's talking about the diameter of the hub section that the wheel mounts to.
      If should be the same as the hole in the OEM festiva wheels, which I think is 58 or 60mm.
      Need to get a real measurement and not trust my memory on this.
      '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
      '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
      '92 Aqua parts Car
      '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
      '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
      Your holy ghost will not save you.
      Your God plutonium will not save you.
      In fact...
      ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

59.6mm
        1988 Chevy Sprint Turbo 997cc

Comment

Originally posted by frankenfester View Post
          anyone know the hub diameter (in mm) for stock festiva?
          And does anyone know the hub bore width (also mm) on the 14" American Racing Estrella?
          I've googled to no avail
          Thanks
          The Estrella hub bore width is irrelevant. They design those aftermarket wheels to fit a wide variety of cars, with all kinds of hub bore widths. If you take a look at how an aftermarket wheel like the Estrella is designed, you will see what I mean.
          90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
          09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Originally posted by TominMO View Post
            The Estrella hub bore width is irrelevant. They design those aftermarket wheels to fit a wide variety of cars, with all kinds of hub bore widths. If you take a look at how an aftermarket wheel like the Estrella is designed, you will see what I mean.
            No sir, it's not irrelevant, but I also neglected to mention (if it wasn't obvious asking for the wheel and hub diameter) that I'm trying to find replacement hub rings. I had my wheels balanced, and those Idiot that did it neglected to put them back in. I remember buying them from Gorilla and thought it was the 72(wheel)-59.6 (hub) but was unsure. If I'm not mistaken the Estrella is 71 or 72 but I'm not sure. If someone has a box for them (if you're the hoarding type) lying around it should be printed on it.
            Est. 1989 "Bringing laughter and festiva awesomeness to the world since birth" banana time

Comment

Originally posted by TominMO View Post
              I also have the estrellas on the stiva and know exactly what you mean which is why I'm after the rings. I've got the lug conversion kit on it, but it's not enough to prevent balanced tires from shaking randomly at certain speeds , imo

Comment

I agree with TomInMO the rings are probably irrelevant and, if so, unnecessary.

The wheels are either centered by the lugs or by the hub bore, it cannot, and you should not try to make it, be both.

The cone-shapped lugs that come on the Festiva tells you that they are what will center the wheel on the hub (because they offer no room for movement to adjust to a centering ring on the hub). Hub centered wheels, like the old Honda rims I am using on my Aspire, will have ball-shapped lug bolts/nuts which will not fight against the center ring on the hub. Your wheels probably expect rounded lug bolt/nut seats.

If that is the case, forget about rings. This is what I do to center my Honda rims on my Aspire hubs.

Use the original cone shapped lugs to center your wheels on the Festiva hub. Tighten them slowly going round and round until they are firmly seated. Then take one out and replace it with the rounded lug your new rim wants. Make it pretty tight so that the wheel centering will not get lost. Then go across to the next lug and replace it until all the lugs are whatever the rim is built to use. Torque them down and know that they are as centered as you can get them.

It works for me. Hope it does for you.
                John Gunn
                Coronado, CA

Improving anything
                Improves everything. Copyright 2011 John Gunn

Comment

I once had a set of 15's on one of my old festiva's that had a bigger bore then the hubs and I had no spacers to fill the gap.... The tires were balanced perfect but still shook the hell out of the car.... Was from missing the spacers, maybe, but I never took the time to try it out.... Either way I say the spacers are worth having

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
                  1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
                  2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Originally posted by JohnGunn View Post
                    I agree with TomInMO the rings are probably irrelevant and, if so, unnecessary.

The wheels are either centered by the lugs or by the hub bore, it cannot, and you should not try to make it, be both.
                    I'm gonna call BS on this. I'm not a wheel expert and I didn't stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night but all my vehicles have had hub centric wheels and (other than my Festivas) conical lug nuts. And I don't like the plastic hub rings either, to me they should be metal.
                    1963 Fairlane - future NSS drag car
                    1965 Mustang Coupe - A-code car, restoring for/with my son
                    1973 F100 longbed - only 22k original miles, 360/auto, disk, PS/PB dealer in dash A/C
                    1996 Sonoma X-cab - son's DD
                    2002 Grand Prix - daughter's DD
                    2003 Sport Trac - 180k, 130k on replaced motor with new timing chains - F/S soon.
                    2005 Accord - wife's DD
                    2008 Mountaineer - step daughter's DD
                    2015 F150 SCrew - DD

Comment

Hub rings FTW!
                      IMO, if you don't use the rings you're asking for trouble. The lugs are made to hold the rim against the hub, the hole in the center is to hold the rim center. They work together.

I agree with Larry, the centric rings should be metal. Plastic can flow and smash, allowing the plastic rings to not hold center.
                      Last edited by drddan; 07-28-2014, 02:02 PM.
                      Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
                      Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
                      Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
                      Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
                      http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

My understanding is that Festiva/Aspire wheels are hubcentric NOT lugcentric. That means the wheel is centered on the hub by the centre bore rather than the lugnuts. That being said it makes sense that you would be well advised to use the hub rings. As an example I've just ordered a set of aftermarket rims for our Explorer. The factory wheel center bore in 70.5mm whereas the new wheels have a center bore of 73.1mm. Even though there is only 2.6mm difference the spacers are recommended. Close is not good enough.
                        Ian
                        Calgary AB, Canada
                        93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
                        59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

Yes, my festy wheels are hubcentric.
                          1963 Fairlane - future NSS drag car
                          1965 Mustang Coupe - A-code car, restoring for/with my son
                          1973 F100 longbed - only 22k original miles, 360/auto, disk, PS/PB dealer in dash A/C
                          1996 Sonoma X-cab - son's DD
                          2002 Grand Prix - daughter's DD
                          2003 Sport Trac - 180k, 130k on replaced motor with new timing chains - F/S soon.
                          2005 Accord - wife's DD
                          2008 Mountaineer - step daughter's DD
                          2015 F150 SCrew - DD

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Hampton View Post
                            I'm gonna call BS on this. I'm not a wheel expert and I didn't stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night but all my vehicles have had hub centric wheels and (other than my Festivas) conical lug nuts. And I don't like the plastic hub rings either, to me they should be metal.
                            I'm with you on both accounts. I've always ran hub rings with lug studs and nuts. I'd never run a festiva lug bolt into a wheel that wasn't a stock festiva wheel. And if no one recalls, the stock wheel both sits firm on the hub and centered by the conical lug bolt. Which in turn makes that argument invalid, as using hub rings and conical nuts and lug studs would do the exact same as stock. Imo, the rings are necessary to keep vibration away. They also make it a crap ton easier when putting the wheels on. Research, dude.

Comment

Yep - you need the rings. Don't trust the lug nuts alone. The hub ring and bearing bores are usually turned in one setup, making them about as darn concentric as you can get. Its possible that the lug holes were drilled/tapped in the same setup but unlikely, meaning you have setup errors and a drilled/tapped BC is never as accurate as two features that were turned at the same time. Not to mention that you're trusting the pitch diameter of the lug nut and the cone to be concentric...
                              ~Nate

the keeper of a wonderful lil car, Skeeter.

Current cars:
                              91L "Skeeter" 170k, Aspire brakes, G15, BP, Advancedynamics coil overs, etc. My first love.
                              1990 Kawasaki Ninja 250 - my gas saver, 60+mpg - 40k
                              2004 MotoGuzzi Breva - my "longer range" bike - 17k

FOTY 2008 winner!

Comment

Working...
                              X