RIP, amigo.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIP, amigo.

One reason I keep driving Festivas is that, besides the way they handle, I'm impressed with they way they're built, not something people generally say about an economy car. But if there was one thing I'd change, it's the way the front rotors are put together, as we all know. When I did the brakes for the second time, maybe 20yrs ago, and went to the Ford dealer to have them press the knuckle apart, they said the guy with the tool had left and sent me to this machine shop nearby. And so ever after, whenever I do my front brakes I go to the machine shop at Valley Auto Parts in Wilmerding PA, about 12mi E of Pittsburgh.

Frank, the head machinist, was always happy to see me (he'd even recognize my voice on the phone when he hadn't seen me in a couple yrs!), and always knocked the hubs apart for me, free. I think he liked the idea that there was still someone in the trenches, fixing his own car. He wasn't any older than me (I'm 64 now), & probably younger, but for some reason I always had a foreboding that some day I'd show up and they'd tell me that he had died. That day was yesterday, when I went there to extract some broken bolts from the mounting flange of my lawnmower. He died last September.

His son's the head of the shop, now, and he remembered me. I spent over two hrs on those two #$% bolts, and in the process sharpened a drill bit myself for the first time ever, (success, first time!). They said come back anytime I need something. What great people. And Frank, jeez, I'll miss you, amigo.

Good story! The front hubs/rotors are a pain!
    But ..if you felt like it, you could change to an ASPIRE swap, the front hubs are not like the Festy hubs and can be changed with out going to a shop, and never have to worry about that again

I too have the same fear that I will loose my mechanic
    Last edited by drddan; 07-30-2014, 12:20 PM.
    Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
    Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
    Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
    Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
    http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

wazup 5 spd? good to see you're still haunting the site. i met you to sell a set of tailight gaskets like what, 10 yrs ago?? you still drive the same festiva? sorry bout your friend. at our age, news like that gets more frequent

Comment

Hey F3 - yes, I remember you! I think we completed that transaction more or less in front of Harco Electric, now TheBrewGentlemen. Turned out the taillight gaskets weren't the problem. There was a leak in the roof, somewhere along the seam, and after I blue siliconed both sides of the black strips on the roof, no more leak! Still in the trenches, driving a Festiva!

& yep, Dr Dan, I know I could do the Aspire swap, but for some reason I like the idea of riding on 12" rubber. Really, I just like the stock steel wheels. I hope I can still find 12" tires after I wear out the last new set in the basement.

Comment

Working...
        X