Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it possible to convert a '91 EFI to a carb?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it possible to convert a '91 EFI to a carb?

Just got my second Festiva today- red like the old '88 but cherry red and not coke can red-

Anyway- LOVED the carbed engine, especially after I took all the eGR components off and plugged the carb where the tubes had been-
    it just ran and ran and ran-

I see the mechanical fuel pumps on ebay but not sure where i could get a carb and if it would hook up to the cable. How does the EFI injector rail fit in? Is there another intake I'd need? And can a line be run from the tank that way?

this '91 came home today running great and when I started to clean under the hood a bit, it started to idle rough

and then finally quit and woundn't start just as the sun went down and the battery died so I'm kinda bummed for now-
    whaddya think happeed?- just not popping now at all- probably the fuel pump system or ?

Got a service manual that's pretty sketchy and I never can figure the thing out!

I've had a '96 Aspire for over ten years and never an ounce of problems, but I just always always felt the '88 carb had one less electrical circuit to fail-

I recall way back in the day when I got a '78 rabbit with the EFI- first year I think- the fuel pump would lose it's juice when the '76 never failed.
    I recall one time on a bitter winter day I hot wired it directly with a long wire and it got me home.......

The old '88 I had to sell 3 years back- over 275 k- I'll get some pix of the new one soon!Only 75 k on the odometer- but not sure if that's real.
    Last edited by harpon; 08-12-2014, 02:33 AM.

There is information on this site about swapping over to a weber carb. Type in related key words in the advanced search box at the top of the page.
    When I'm good I'm very, very good and when I'm bad I'm HORRID.

Comment

Well I searched some of them- no one seems to have real solid answers-

I guess I'd need another distributor too, with the older vacuum timing advance
      I've been looking at carbs-

this seems to be the closest I can find anymore- This one is cheaper for a Toyo- and a 1.3 motor too:

They still had the part listed at advance or autozone about five years ago- but I doubt they have it now and it was over $350-
      and described as an "asian carb"
      I don't know how much this Toyota carb would match up on the intake and I'm still confused about what diff there is between carb and EFI railing, even though I rebuilt the other carb about 2007, I don't recall much about the union to the motor;

And one more question- does the EFI sending fuel pump unit sit independent of the tank, or inside the end of it?

Got the battery charger out on the "new" '91 festiva now- I don't think the battery is very good and hoping I won't need an alternator right off-
      ready to crank her some more later today.

Can you usually hear the electric fuel pump inside the car, if it's quiet?
      Last edited by harpon; 08-12-2014, 06:04 AM.

Comment

You can do the same thing I did. Keep the electric fuel pump. Install a Holley bypass regulator and slow down the pump with a resistor. You will have to wire in a fuel pump relay that doesn't use a VAF signal. Mine uses the tach signal instead.
        If you like carbs, I have a set of twins for sale.
        Last edited by bravekozak; 08-12-2014, 06:05 AM.

Comment

Hey thanks for the advice- I think I'd still go for the mechanical fuel pump and eliminate the circuit-

anyway- YAAAAY!!!!!!

I got her started and running again-

had 4 things in mind to test first-

Fusible links- I noticed they are kinda gunked and under the hood where my washing seemed to have effect
          the fuse
          the fuel pump relay
          and that cut-off switch behind the driver's area to reset, that shuts down the injection system in a crash-
          I was messing around cleaning inside too but never found tha out there this morningt-

Seemed to be the fusible link, tho w/o my glasses I still haven't isolated which one it is-

I worked them around and wiped down the ends-

and with the battery charged- it starts right up again- really jazzed-

I think the 75.000 may be the actual mileage- belonged to the guys Dad- in his '80;s now-
          and at 60 not feeling like driving around that much myself!

Glad I found something

the cars in jacksonville are kinda beat- but lots of unrusted older cars around the landscape far from town.

It wasn't much cleaned under the hood tho and the coolant was REALLY BAD- hope I can save the core .....

got the new plugs lined up- oil and coolant to go in and other tune-up parts around the corner.

Feels like my old friend is back but with 200,000 miles less on her. If it runs, i probably won't do the carb, but may get the fuel pump while I can- about $25 i think.

Hope to get some pix today.
          Last edited by harpon; 08-12-2014, 07:25 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X