89 Festiva Windshield replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 89 Festiva Windshield replacement

Has anyone in here ever replace a windshield on a 89 Festiva? I found used glass and want to replace on my own.

Gunner

I've bought brand new Festy windshields for as little as $150 professionally installed in 15 minutes.

It doesn't hardly seem worth trying to do your own.
    Last edited by AlaskaFestivaGuy; 08-16-2014, 04:21 PM.
    88L black, dailydriver
    88LX silver a/c, dailydriver
    4 88/89 disassembled
    91L green
    91GL aqua pwrsteer
    92GL red a/c reardmg
    3 93L blue, 2 dailydriver, 1 frontdmg
    1952 Cessna170B floatplane

Comment

I did my own on the driveway. I used butyl windshield tape, just in case I ever have to change a broken windshield again. The best thing about changing it yourself, is that you can wire wheel repair any rust spots and repaint before reinstalling. Auto glass houses couldn't be bothered with that. You will need a second set of hands for two minutes, to set the glass in place.
      Last edited by bravekozak; 08-16-2014, 04:40 PM.

Comment

I bought a pull tool but having a hard time getting started under the glass. How did you remove the vented panel at the bottom of the windshield? The panel the wipers come up through. I cant find ant screws to remove.

Comment

Non-removable. Spotwelded to the body. Carefully remove the windshield moldings, remove the molding clips, insert cutting blade between glass and frame, pull cutter handle.
          Last edited by bravekozak; 08-16-2014, 07:26 PM.

Comment

If your gonna do your own please urethane the thing in. Its cheap like 12 bucks for the primerless stuff by 3m.
            It will take a tube and a half.
            They quit butyling them in for a reason.
            The urethane sets quick and is a lot better seal and if you get into a wreck the windshield won't fly out along with you!
            Most parts store sell the urethane and it can be used in a standard chalk gun.
            Cut the tip to have a deep v on one side make a continuous robben on urethane about an inch high carefully set glass in press down to get depth correct so it will hold your moldings tight . Throw on some tape and let it set for a couple hours before use.good luck!
            urethane is mint for glass to metal and butyl is not buty has its place on older vehicles. .
            But I'm not an auto glass technician I do auto body. And all newer vehicles we do like 80 up get urethane.
            Just my 2 cents.
            Last edited by william; 08-16-2014, 08:45 PM.

Comment

Agreed ^ urethane ....it's there for a reason ...
              New build on the way .

Comment

Originally posted by william View Post
                They quit butyling them in for a reason.
                Yes. So that it's a lot harder to replace the windshield yourself. It's almost impossible to cut one out at the junkyard without breaking it. Gotta buy new glass. Urethane is nasty stuff for the lungs (moisture cure). Also, don't get any on your clothes. Urethane will never come out.

The windshield will not fly out along with you in an accident. That's an old wives tale. Your face will just bust the glass if you aren't wearing a seat belt.
                Last edited by bravekozak; 08-16-2014, 09:31 PM.

Comment

I don't tighten lug nuts either ....there to hard to get off when there tight ...
                  REALLY....
                  New build on the way .

Comment

Glass is also part of the structure of your car and if you want it to be strong use urethane. I agree with you about seat belts glass shouldn't have to be a safety restaurant. *Butyl has only 13 P.S.I of tensil strength while Urethane has OVER 300 P.S.I of tensil strength!*Make your own decisions but as far as safety standards of setting glass bytle doesn't meet standards.

Comment

Marketwatch

No accidents shown had polyurethane. Why not?
                      Silicone is superior to urethane. It is also more expensive.

The Jeep CJ accident has no protection. It was only a rubber gasket like a Festiva rear hatch. No urethane. No butyl. I Know. I broke one when I undid the windshield supports and it fell onto the steering wheel and cracked.
                      Do they test cars dropped on their roofs?

Butyl has low lateral strength. High pressure sensitive bonding strength from the resins used in the formulations.

The reason why most butyl windhields were missing at the junkyards was because you don't need power tools to remove the glass. Just a pull cutter.
                      Last edited by bravekozak; 08-16-2014, 10:53 PM.

Comment

Thanks everyone for your help. I might just get a quote for a local glass shop..

Comment

Working...
                        X