No announcement yet.

How to store tires and keep them fresh?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to store tires and keep them fresh?

I have some soft Yokohama slicks and i wont be using them any time soon, what is the best way to store them and keep them fresh? Do they make a conditioner? or should i stick them in a big vacuum seal bag? I heard tire shine is bad so i'm looking for ideas?

Comment

The only thing I've found that somebody doesn't say 'causes more harm than good' is plain old tire mounting lube (and man have I looked!).

Comment

i was wondering about tire lube, i heard it was a conditioner so i would imagine thats good?

Comment

I've heard lots of people say it helps, and no one say it causes harm- silicone, armorall, glycerine, etc. all seem to have their fans, but then someone else will say 'nope, causes damage'.

Comment

Keep them inside. Sticky racey compounds don't like the cold. Can't go wrong with silicone spray (or a light liquid silicone, like R/C car shock fluid), they coat tires with that stuff from the factory to keep them "fresh".

Comment

I keep them under the house but I live in the south - never gets below freezing under there.
              think dark, damp and above freezing and you shouldn't have to coat them with anything.
              admit nothing - deny everything - make accusations

Comment

I rolled out a set of 16" load Fs, been in a bus dry and no sun for 22 years.

All 4 ruined from dry rot. I could push the face down, flex the side wall, and push my fingers through the plies.

After 7 years toss them. No exceptions.

Google how to read the sidewall. Only questionable tire I'll use is on a multi axle trailer. My triaxle single, tandem dually, or triaxle dually.

Sent from my rooted HTC Supersonic using Tapatalk 2 Pro

Comment

Ozonolysis

Store in a steel drum filled with argon and sealed with a gas-tight lid. Next question.
                  Last edited by bravekozak; 08-30-2014, 01:09 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X