WOT on the daily

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WOT on the daily

I live in southern cali and I feel like i abuse my festy a bit. everyday im WOT getting on and off the freeway. it does not help that i run 175s on the 13 in aspire wheels but if i didnt i couldnt stay in the fast lane. it is awesome blowing buy nice new 50k plus cars in the fast lane in my car which is probably worth the cost of one wheel on a new bmw. lol but i hold 3000 rpm for close to a half hour on the way to work and im wondering if im going to burn the festy out. i have to say this is probably my favorite car ever!!

I don't think you have anything to worry about as long as the motor's in decent shape.
    Mine is driven 70-80 mph for about 32 miles to work on the interstate. I'm sure the motor has over 200,000 miles and the car has 348,000+.
    It does use oil and smoke a little but it's still hanging in there.
    Also, I'm running 185-60-14 tires on Miata wheels.
    Last edited by Team Lightning; 08-27-2014, 01:39 AM.
    Jerry
    Team Lightning

Owner of Team Lightning
    90 L "Peewee" B6D. Bought new May 16,1990
    92 L Thunder BP G5M-R Turbo B6T electronics. Jan 2016 FOTM winner SOLD
    93 L Lightning. BP

Not a user of drugs or alcohol, Just addicted to Festiva's

Comment

Most of the time, I drive mine like I stole it.

Comment

I've driven from cruces to Vegas almost straight through at 75mph or 3k rpms t is a 10 hour drive and I didn't have any problems.
        91 Festiva L "Erika" b3t swap on the way
        06 Jeep Cherokee Overland
        95 Aspire (sold)

Comment

nothing to worry about just keep the oil changes flowing and an eye on wheel bearings and tires. I use to deliver in my stock blue 90 and romp it night after night for 2 years no problems.
          93 L B6T DD http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=37751
          RIP_90 LuX http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=32249
          RIP 88 LX / B8-MEhttp://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=26398

RJ

Comment

It seems to be a crap shoot with these cars unless you have personally been through the engine and know it's solid. I have never had one last more than a year without serious or complete failure, and I've had a few now.

1st - carbed white L - The best chance at a solid experience. I wrecked it so that doesn't count, but it had just had the engine rebuilt.
            2nd - EFI green L that "just needed a tune-up". Less than a year later head gasket failure, and it slept for a while.
            3rd - carbed red L that was a poo bucket from the getgo. Hadn't been taken care of at all. Clutch went first. Fixed that and then it started smoking like a freight train. Then complete failure and I parted/sold it.
            4th - same EFI green L again. Fixed the HG and rebuilt the head, and then not too far along, the rings went.
            5th - EFI black L that randomly started over-heating so I parked it when I found a minty one to buy.
            6th - EFI blue L? came out from work and the oil light was on randomly. Drive home finished it off.

I've had different years, different fuel systems, and different levels of PO care, and I've even babied some of them. Nothing seems to matter except what I know would matter, and that's going through the car yourself and knowing it's perfect. But that's my opinion.
            Last edited by sketchman; 08-28-2014, 08:35 AM.
            Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
            91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

I've had cars last years driving slow and steady and I've beat cars to death
              driving them like they were stolen...even after changing out all the seals and
              gaskets other than heads. Just take it easy on the car and it'll probably last
              you a long time with just regular oil changes. WOT getting on isn't great for it
              by any means, though. The car is over 20 years old. Getting up to 3k slowly wont
              be too hard on it if it's in decent shape, but I'd lay off the throttle and slowly get
              up to your running speed and switch to the fast lane in your own sweet time.

I agree with Sketch...if you didnt do all the work yourself dont drive it like you did.
              1993 Festiva - White/Black - 5 speed

Comment

WOT on the daily

Ride it till something breaks. Then fix it with good new parts and you won't have to worry about that part again. I usually go a step further and just upgrade with new. That way it's new and better.

I've learned with these cars people drive them till they break then usually sell it and buy another or something newer. So usually your engine hasn't had frequent oil changes but with a good donor or swap you are back on the road. But even used swaps can be a headache.
                Last edited by Flyin4stroke; 08-28-2014, 12:17 PM.
                1988 Ford Festiva "Sonic" BPT g25mr MS2 standalone ecu, FOTY '11, Best Beater FMV, Fan Favorite FMVI

1989 Ford Mustang GT 5.slow

1996 Ford F-150

Comment

No sweat. I ran a 4 speed at 90 mph for an hour straight. Always ran them hard and never hurt an engine.
                  youtube.com/neanderpaul 88 festiva LX w/BP G25 MR 5 speed waiting for wiring- 93 Festiva GL auto w/ air, waiting for B6t/G4A-HL - 98 Nissan Quest - 02 Mazda protege 5 wife's DD

Comment

flyin's right and if the engine does give out it's just a good excuse to drop a b8-me in it from the mazda protégé then you will have no problems getting on the free way

Comment

youtube.com/neanderpaul 88 festiva LX w/BP G25 MR 5 speed waiting for wiring- 93 Festiva GL auto w/ air, waiting for B6t/G4A-HL - 98 Nissan Quest - 02 Mazda protege 5 wife's DD

Comment

Working...
                      X