Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

so can i use 134a with just the fittings and as many orings as i can replace?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• so can i use 134a with just the fittings and as many orings as i can replace?

im installing a/c on the festy. i pulled all the parts out of the junk yard and have installed everything and changed as many o-rings as i could get loose with out stripping the fittings out. problem is im in cali and the emissions thing is bad here and no one has r12. whats the easiest thing i can do. should i just order some Freeze 12 of ebay?? but i dont have a epa thingy... please help its sooooo hot

i would suggest to convert it to 134a. if you buy the retrofit kit it comes with adapter fittings and the appropriate labeling.

Comment

Do you have a vacuum pump? Any freon will work, 134 is pretty poor unless components are oversize to make up for it. The other ebay stuff performs better but will red flag unknown gases, hydrocarbons if you have to take it to a shop. If you are using all original festiva parts and live down south there, you need all the help you can get to cool better. I would use anything but 134 unless you might go to a ac shop. 134 will work, just not as good. Cooler climates you won't notice it much but the humid heat down there...you need all the help you can get.
      Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Mine is 134a and will freeze you out in 90+ degree heat.
        -Greg
        Euro-bprt...WORLDS FASTEST FESTIVA !!! 11.78@115.9
        BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
        Redneck Engineer
        FOTY - '09
        5x Festiva Madness Attendee...FM 3,4,5,6,8
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpCZ7...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU_eX...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ

Comment

134 works, but it works things a little harder to do it. It is also real easy to get anywhere. You can get it with all kinds of stuff added already to find leaks, seal leaks, make it colder .

Comment

If you're worried about the performance of 134 in a 12 system there's a new refrigerant out with properties much closer to 12 but without all the ozone-trashing awfulness. R-152A, also known as the stuff they use in those aerosol computer dusters.

Comment

Think penguin!
              Last edited by bravekozak; 09-13-2014, 11:51 AM.

Comment

It appears pretty easy to dispose of with a match! Propane is an excellent refrigerant too. I like the hybrids with enough hydrocarbon to equal or better R 12 performance ( less power draw off the engine ) but with enough dilution that the hybrid will not burn at engine room temperatures.

Comment

Maybe I should explain my opinion a little more. Performance wise each gas has a boiling point and a vapor pressure point. The compressor has to pump a gas to enough pressure to convert it back to a liquid. The lower the pressure that this happens the less power required from the engine.

The other part of the equation is the boiling point. The colder the boiling point the better the AC system will cool the incoming air. This means the off cycle time can be longer to keep the evaporator fluctuating above and below freezing. Also less power from the engine.

I use this hybrid because of the above reasons partly, expense , blends with other refrigerants and works well with different AC oil types. Note the chart in the link too.

Maxi-Frig are refrigerants that were developed as an effective replacement for non-ozone-depleting substitutes for CFC-12, CHFC-22 and R502. They have a zero ozone-depletion-potential (ODP) and a negligible global-warming-potential (GWP), which makes it the most environmentally sound refrigerant on earth. Does Maxi-Frig Require Retrofitting? NO! It is a direct drop-in replacement. It requires no retrofitting or redesigning of a refrigeration system because it is completely compatible with all the materials and oils (mineral or synthetic) in all systems. The savings can be enormous! How Efficient is Maxi-Frig? Extremely. It is up to 30% more efficient than CFC-12, and far more efficient than HFC-134a. This means less wear on your refrigeration system, substantial energy savings, and reduced fuel costs. How is Maxi-Frig Installed? There are no new procedures to learn! The same gauges are used, and refrigeration systems are charged in the same manner used with the refrigerant being replaced. Maxi-Frig is completely compatible with the synthetic oil used with HFC-134a and the organic oils in CFC-12 systems. No flushing or oil changes are required. Does Maxi-Frig Offer Other Benefits? Yes! Many. Maxi-Frig, unlike other new refrigerants, does not become caustic when exposed to moisture or oxygen and is therefore not corrosive to the aluminum parts in today's systems. Maxi-Frig refrigerants are better conductors of heat, require less energy to compress, have lower operating temperatures increasing compressor life. Maxi-Frig refrigerants operate at normal low head pressures, advantageously paralleling R12, while with other new refrigerants the head pressure is generally noticeably higher. Maxi-Frig refrigerants are more soluble, absorbing oil better resulting in better lubrication than other refrigerants. Maxi-Frig refrigerants produce negligible copper plating and coke formation on valves, and extremely low chemical breakdown. Maxi-Frig and EPA Regulations? EPA'a Final Rule, published April 1, 1994 states: In this final rule, the Agency has determined that second-generation replacements, if they are non-ozone depleting and are replacing non-ozone depleting first generation alternatives, are exempt from reporting requirements under section 612. Is Maxi-Frig Guaranteed? Is Maxi-Frig Guaranteed? Maxi-Frig is guaranteed to perform as an efficient refrigerant in all systems and are not to harm any refrigeration system components or other related mechanical equipment if installed and used according to factory directions. Technical Summary Of Refrigerant Properties Property CFC-12 HFC-134a MX-12a MX-22a MX-502a Atmospheric Lifetime Year 130 16 Less than 1 Less than 1 Less than 1 G.W.P. (C02 = 0.5) 3650 600 4 4 4 O.D.P. (R-12 = 1.0) 1.0 0 0 0 0 Thermal Performance 0 -8 +12 - 32 +12 - 32 +12 - 32 Oils Compatability Mineral Synthetic Both Both Both Components, changes and/or wear No Yes No No No Potential Corrosion Yes Yes No No No Toxis Thermal Decomposition Phosgene Hydrogen Fluoride None None None Long Term Health Effects None Tumors on testices None None None Short Term Health Risks None May cause death None None None Boiling Point (F) -21 -15 -29.9 -49 -62 Critical Temperature (F) 233.6 214 205 205 205 . C02 equivalent global warming potential. 100 year integration time horizon, Ref. 30, DOE Report .. At 27.5 MPG CAFE Standard. Comparison of global warming potential of annual refrigerant emissions. Maxi-Frig is covered by OSHA Hazard Communication Standard Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS) are available.

Comment

Yeah I use a hydrocarbon refrigerant in mine. :p

Super cheap stuff too. it's called Envirosafe.
                    1991 Ford Festiva BP (Full Aspire/Rio Swap) (337k Miles) (Around 95k Engine)
                    2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport 2.2L DOHC Ecotec (Threw a Rod)
                    1998 Chevy Monte Carlo LS 3.1 V6 (225k miles) Best MPG = 28

Comment

Originally posted by TorqueEffect View Post
                      Yeah I use a hydrocarbon refrigerant in mine. :p

Super cheap stuff too. it's called Envirosafe.
                      It works great! It is propane.

Comment

Originally posted by Movin View Post
                        It works great! It is propane.
                        Pine scented propane.
                        1991 Ford Festiva BP (Full Aspire/Rio Swap) (337k Miles) (Around 95k Engine)
                        2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport 2.2L DOHC Ecotec (Threw a Rod)
                        1998 Chevy Monte Carlo LS 3.1 V6 (225k miles) Best MPG = 28

Comment

Lol thanks for all the info guys it does help. Someone was trying to tell me the inner seals in the compressor would fail eventuallywith 134a. That's all I was really worried about.

Comment

134 has a vapor pressure of 213 PSI. Envirosafe has a vapor pressure of 109 . R12 has a vapor pressure of 195 PSI. All at 130 F . This reflects how hard the compressor works to hold the pressure high enough to turn vapor back to liquid. A 10% increase in pressure from R12 to 134 will increase wear more than 10% because heat at this point will be hotter as well.

134 has a smaller molecular structure than most other refrigerants. This means it leaks easier. When components are replaced 134 compatible rubbers need to be used. Old used components have deposits on the inside like a stain that resists 134 leakage, new parts do not, so lined hoses and special orings need to be used.

Short answer is you don't even need the fittings if you have the equipment to fit. You will need a vacuum pump to boil out humidity and to pull in the new charge. There is a long list of improvements of course but the the system will work.

Comment

so anyone ever ordered off ebay before? ide rather use envirosafe then 134 but ide have to buy the equipment to put it in... i wonder if service shops out here are allowed to use envirosafe. the orileys guys here in cali had never heard of it before but it was easy to get in south dakota i guess

Comment

Working...
                              X