Right-handed body rust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Right-handed body rust

Has anyone else noticed there is more rust on the passenger's side of the vehicle? I just figured out it's because roads have high crowns so water runs into the gutter on the passenger's side, and because snow ploughs pile up snow on the passenger's side. Hence the right side of the car is wetter and more saturaturated with salt and dirt than the left side.
    Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

I remember as a little boy riding to town in the back seat of my Grandpas 64 chevelle after rain showers had passed through. I would hang over the front seat back and say hit the puddles Grandpa, hit the puddles! He'd miss a few to build excitement I think, then he'd plow through a big one as I dove to the passenger side window to watch the spray. I always loved that. One of those thing I'll always remember. I later took a auto body repair course in vocational school and have since done extensive body work. I remember how he did his rust repair. He wasted nothing and took pride in what he had. Made things last far beyond what most would. So when it came time to patch up the big holes in rear quarter panels he would stretch over layers of duct tape. Then get out the left over can of house paint and a 4" brush and give good coat. It looked pretty good. Now I appreciate him hitting the puddles in a whole different way. He had to be thinking the goes my patch job! But he did it anyway, just for me.
    '89L 110k mi. BP/G swapped
    '90LX 68k mi. wrecked 12/14 RIP
    '90 F250 4X4 108K mi.
    '13 Kia Rio 5 LX 70k mi.
    '18 Kia Soul 40k mi. Daily
    '64 Studebaker Gran Turismo Hawk
    '66 International Harvester pickup

Comment

I've noticed when doing restorations that the older cars and trucks rotted on the passenger side more.when there were more dirt roads from mud getting packed in when the would get over for traffic. After the mid 40's cars they seem to be worse on the drivers side I belive this is do to paved roads with the use of salt. The salt get thrown to the middle of the road from both cars.
      I thank it's crazy that cars rust different ways and spots in different parts of the country.
      My current 2 festivas have much more rust on the drivers side.
      Passenger looks great.

Comment

Originally posted by william View Post
        I've noticed when doing restorations that the older cars and trucks rotted on the passenger side more.when there were more dirt roads from mud getting packed in when the would get over for traffic. After the mid 40's cars they seem to be worse on the drivers side I belive this is do to paved roads with the use of salt. The salt get thrown to the middle of the road from both cars.
        I thank it's crazy that cars rust different ways and spots in different parts of the country.
        My current 2 festivas have much more rust on the drivers side.
        Passenger looks great.
        Same with Matthew--driver's door is super-rusty (to be replaced with a perfect door), but passenger side is relatively rust-free.
        90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
        09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

It seems like used parts are easy to find for the left side, lots harder for the right side. I wonder if that is reversed in the UK ?
          Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Working...
          X