I Believe....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Believe....

This site could be so much better if everyone that asks for repair help would post the ultimate fix for their problem. There are way too many dead ends. I propose there should be a "rule"/convention about that. Not only does complete information help the beginner, it helps us who don't know every-thing, and it reminds those with experience of the basics which, I believe, we all sometimes forget for a moment. It also shows how symptoms, which are general and relate to more than one problem area, can have us chasing around Left field when we should be in Right.
    When I'm good I'm very, very good and when I'm bad I'm HORRID.

just getting repair questions into the "repair help" forum would be a start. lately there seems to be a rash of repair inquiries posted under general dis.

Comment

^^my thoughts exactly, I've been moving a lot of threads lately, I may just start locking them

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
      1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
      2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Heh, moving them is just moving the problem. Locking them might stop the issue and encourage good practice? .... I'd say try it. Once locked and duplicated, , and successful, then delete the locked?

Sent from my rooted HTC Supersonic using Tapatalk 2 Pro

Comment

If you're busy learning the tricks of the trade, you may never learn the trade!!!
          Chuck
          Life's a beach, then you marry one---- Shakespeare
          If money will fix it, it's not broken
          91 GL -Ol' Rusty
          93 GL - Lil Red
          91 L - Tweetystiva
          http://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/festi...tfordcat/54176
          http://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/festi...tfordcat/54596

Comment

Originally posted by Damkid View Post
            ^^my thoughts exactly, I've been moving a lot of threads lately, I may just start locking them
            Another easier solution is to delete them.
            They will learn sooner or later.

ToolDude is correct, how many times do we get someone on here with an issue and much time is spend trying to assist. Then we never find out what was the solution to their problem.
            '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
            '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
            '92 Aqua parts Car
            '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
            '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
            Your holy ghost will not save you.
            Your God plutonium will not save you.
            In fact...
            ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Oh I agree deleting is easier, but then that will leave the poster wondering where it went

Posting why it's locked, and keeping there for the poster to see gives the answers before any questions are asked

I do agree though that it would be nice to know the solutions people find to their problem since it helps the overall forum knowledge, but it shouldn't be mandatory

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Delete only after they've made the attempt with effort.

In the meantime leave it locked with reason.

Sent from my rooted HTC Supersonic using Tapatalk 2 Pro

Comment

AGREE WITH OP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                  Buck.
                  -1993 Ford Festiva GL, ~200k, B6, Aspire rear, Rio front, 5-speed. '87 Prelude alloys. Happy to be back on the route!!!
                  -1999 Toyota Sienna XLE, 346,000
                  -1996 Chevrolet K1500 Z71, 350 V8, 198k, hauler

Comment

To be clear, I am not proposing any hard and fast strangling rules be enforced, but rather that there is a convention (from Webster's: ...agreement on the usages and practices...) so that most of the time results will be given. I don't want to try to come up with a list of exceptions on this as they will probably be obvious, such as a time factor.
                    When I'm good I'm very, very good and when I'm bad I'm HORRID.

Comment

Well, I have a hard time doing a search, either I'm horrible at it (most likely) or it doesn't work well.

I was searching for exhaust for 45 minutes the other night. I'm wondering what size to use for my BP install that I may want to add a turbo to later. I tried spaces, commas, + with no spaces, and different words.
                      What I kind of came up with was 2".
                      1963 Fairlane - future NSS drag car
                      1965 Mustang Coupe - A-code car, restoring for/with my son
                      1973 F100 longbed - only 22k original miles, 360/auto, disk, PS/PB dealer in dash A/C
                      1996 Sonoma X-cab - son's DD
                      2002 Grand Prix - daughter's DD
                      2003 Sport Trac - 180k, 130k on replaced motor with new timing chains - F/S soon.
                      2005 Accord - wife's DD
                      2008 Mountaineer - step daughter's DD
                      2015 F150 SCrew - DD

Comment

Don't get me wrong, I agree it would be much much more useful to the forum if all results got posted but let's face it, this forum isn't (shouldn't be) everyone's priority in life..... However I say it's common courtesy to post results

Comment

Working...
                        X