Not This Question Again....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not This Question Again....

Ok, I just picked up an 89 Carbed shell without a motor. I have several EFI motors, what else will I need to make the transition? Gas tank?

Rust free, western shell. I'll post pics when finished.

FX
    Because....45 MPG.

Yes gas tank and efi harness
    Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
    Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
    Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
    Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
    http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

Great. Ok, I need to find a harness. Thanks!
      Because....45 MPG.

Comment

U will need an entire eff car harness unless you don't mind cutting and splicing. I tried once. I changed the engine harness it would not plug into dash harness, swapped dash harness to find out the dash harness didn't match interior. I gave up.

Comment

Every wire from headlights to taillights is different
          -Greg
          Euro-bprt...WORLDS FASTEST FESTIVA !!! 11.78@115.9
          BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
          Redneck Engineer
          FOTY - '09
          5x Festiva Madness Attendee...FM 3,4,5,6,8
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpCZ7...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU_eX...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ

Comment

it's not really that bad just start by finding a good donor efi 90 and up 5speed or automatic just get the one you have if you have 5speed donor should be 5 speed and if you have automatic then donor should be automatic. then start by taking the dash out and mark the plug ins on both side with tape like 1 and 1 then 2 and 2 and so forth make sure you get the harness that is in the dash also. then take all the interior out of the donor car then go to the brake lights and start there getting your wires all loose working your way up to the front of the car were the hood release is. then once you have made it this far you have to work the harness through the fire wall on the driver side and you have to remove the inner fender on the driver side and work all your harness through then the engine bay is last you will have to take the blinkers on the bottom and if you want all your blinkers to work you need to take the steering wheel off and take the whole turn signal asymboly because the carb cars does not have one of the plug ends that the efi cars do. if you need any help just pm me I have a 89 festiva with a b8-me swap and have been there and done that

Comment

A true die hard desire.

Damn I'm lazy.

Sent from my rooted HTC Supersonic using Tapatalk 2 Pro

Comment

Sounds to me like you're best off to stick with the idiot electronic feedback carb setup that was on there originally and then contact Bravekozak about swapping over to simpler, but twin, carbs and then being able to dispense with many of the existing carb service vacuum lines and electrics involved.

Comment

I guess this comment goes back to the one about "be willing to do some splicing". When putting a B6T into these cars we end up installing the wiring harness of the B6T to run the engine, and leaving the Festi harness to run the power, lights, etc. Just a few cross overs are required, and there are now two harnesses in the engine bay.
                  I just took a BP fuel injected harness out of a carbed Festi chassis, and it was done the same way as we would do a B6T in an FI chassis, with two harnesses joined at a few places.
                  This idea would work for your car. You need to find a place for the ECU for the FI system, and will have a second harness in the engine bay, but that is clearly workable. As to where to join them together, look at the instructions for putting a B6T in, and do something pretty similar.
                  For fueling, you either install an FI tank with High pressure fuel pump internal to it. Or, like the car I just took apart, you could mount an electric external low pressure pump to feed an external high pressure pump, all in the engine bay, which worked in that car for many years, until the low P pump eventually failed.
                  Thricetiva replaced Icetiva as the new ride
                  Icetiva-3-race-car-build
                  http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2533299

Comment

When I look back, I qould never do what I did, by adapting a carb wiring harness for an EFI pump, ever again. Too much work. The insanity of changing the connectors between the dash harness and the rear harness was exactly that.
                    Always start with an EFI harness.

Comment

]I ran an 88 from 175 K when I bought it to over 275K with almost no maintenance- none on the carb in fact-

and it was a joy to take off most of the hoses and cover them.
                      I couldn't do that while still in California where I bought it because of their blessed smog laws
                      It still ran great always.

You might get slightly less gas mileage- but I still think the carb is more reliable myself-

although every mile I drive the '96 Aspire suggests the EFI is fairly trouble free too- only up to 111 K so far though.

old reliable "Diana"
                      Last edited by harpon; 09-29-2014, 06:33 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X