Engine weaknesses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine weaknesses

We all know the biggest weaknesses on the g transmission. But has anyone logged the biggest weakness on each oem engine. I'm curious to know what breaks under boost. In s theoretical world where knock didn't exist, how high did you crank your boost up before your engine grenades, and what part was at fault. ?

As over-engineered as the B3 seems to be, I would guess it was the most robust. The pistons would probably be the first fail point, but it would take some decent boost to do so, given that the motor is only designed to make 63 HP. Lots of safety overhead.
    90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
    09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

My mechanic friend said the b3 rods are as beefy as gm 3800 rods. And those reliably make 30hp per cylinder. It's assumed that all the head gaskets are junk? I assumed that would be the first fail point

Comment

Originally posted by bhearts View Post
        My mechanic friend said the b3 rods are as beefy as gm 3800 rods. And those reliably make 30hp per cylinder. It's assumed that all the head gaskets are junk? I assumed that would be the first fail point
        Well you're right on the HG; I was thinking of major parts breaking. For example, Matthew is making 85 WHP, (verified by dyno), and if I turbo him, I could expect ~130-135 WHP, giving it significantly more HP than a stock BP (torque curve would be interesting to see). I think the block and pistons could handle that quite easily.
        90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Valves! Every b3 I've acquired cheaply was because of valve work needed.

Just too small imo

Sent from my rooted HTC Supersonic using Tapatalk 2 Pro

Comment

Always wondered what the limits of the crank would be.
            - Form should follow function...

Comment

Originally posted by SiliconSoul View Post
              Always wondered what the limits of the crank would be.
              I don't think I have ever heard of anyone breaking a crank, even on a boosted BP like Greg's; so they must be pretty good.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

Originally posted by jason_ View Post
                Valves! Every b3 I've acquired cheaply was because of valve work needed.

Just too small imo
                They are fine for the intended design (cheap econobox, great MPG), but yes, for any serious HP they are too small and the head is not well-designed, according to Matt D. He also says that the B6 head is designed much better.

The fact that you get 'em cheap due to needing valve work probably means they didn't get regular oil changes or were high-mileage. Would you say this was true?

Disaster preparedness

Comment

I dunno milage . Everyone had a broken cable

I wasn't aware oil changes improve valve face and valve seat performance. Noted!

Comment

Originally posted by jason_ View Post
                    I dunno milage . Everyone had a broken cable

I wasn't aware oil changes improve valve face and valve seat performance. Noted!

Infinite smart as. I'd just really like to find the limits of the b bottom ends. No one seems to have found it. Although it's a case by case event. Can't compare two different medium to high mileage boosted vehicles

Comment

What if the b3 could support 200whp. Wouldn't everyone feel like they were cutting themselves short by putting in a bigger engine?

Comment

The B3's I've torn down or assisted in tearing down had busted/cracked pistons in them. It seems to me that the pistons may be a weak spot. All had at least one bad piston in it.
                        Last edited by Team Lightning; 09-26-2014, 01:04 PM.
                        Jerry
                        Team Lightning

Owner of Team Lightning
                        90 L "Peewee" B6D. Bought new May 16,1990
                        92 L Thunder BP G5M-R Turbo B6T electronics. Jan 2016 FOTM winner SOLD
                        93 L Lightning. BP

Not a user of drugs or alcohol, Just addicted to Festiva's

Comment

Originally posted by bhearts View Post
                          What if the b3 could support 200whp. Wouldn't everyone feel like they were cutting themselves short by putting in a bigger engine?
                          I can't think of a single person on this board near that level of power who would honestly feel that way.
                          1988 Chevy Sprint Turbo 997cc

Comment

Aaron, I agree. The cost of a 200 HP B3 would be very high. Then you have the reliability issue too.
                            Jerry
                            Team Lightning

Owner of Team Lightning
                            90 L "Peewee" B6D. Bought new May 16,1990
                            92 L Thunder BP G5M-R Turbo B6T electronics. Jan 2016 FOTM winner SOLD
                            93 L Lightning. BP

Not a user of drugs or alcohol, Just addicted to Festiva's

Comment

I ment b3 stock form

Comment

Working...
                              X