MPG thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MPG thread

So, I have two Festiva's. Both 5 speeds. Just got them both. The blue one has A/C and the red does not. So I filled up the blue car and drove with the A/C on the 2 setting the whole time and got 41 MPG and I was ecstatic! Then I drove the red one without A/C and drove it exactly the same and got 49 MPG. Does A/C really account for an 8MPG loss?
    1993 Festiva - White/Black - 5 speed

Wow 20% that's a lot.
    -M3NTAL MARK! Woo!!

Comment

The type of Freon, AC charge, clean condenser, Working ac radiator fan all will affect mileage. Engine condition, tune condition, exhaust condition are some of the nuts and bolts things that can affect mileage a lot. Ambient variables will also affect mileage a lot and you did not have a second driver follow so as to more closely duplicate driver variables? One trip each means nothing was averaged..there is just too many variables to hazard a guess toward an accurate number for the difference. But of course there is a difference.
      Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Also, you didn't say how far you drove on these tests. The shorter the distance, the more inaccuracy can creep in when filling the tank, before and after the test.
        90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
        09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Well, the driving distance was exactly the same. To and from work every day.
          The shift points were stretched by maybe 2 miles per hour in a few gears to make
          up for the draw of the AC. Seems like there's a big difference either way, but I guess
          once I install the new parts I'll be able to get a more educated guess from them. I was
          just kinda shocked at the initial difference. Unfortunately I'm not driving the blue car til
          I get the throwout bearing changed out as it's rattling pretty badly, but when I do I'll
          update this thread and let you guys know how it turned out.

And I'm willing to bet this is the original R12 in there. I was considering a 134 conversion,
          but I've heard it can potentially eat seals and stuff. Not sure on the validity of that. Also heard
          there's propane-based freons you can use, but I dont think I like the idea of a potential leaking
          of propane into the engine bay.
          Last edited by SWRT; 09-29-2014, 09:10 AM.

Comment

Drive the AC car with the ac off and see how much it picks up for comparison
            N3WBI3

Comment

I got 22 mpg towing the aspire...
              -Greg
              Euro-bprt...WORLDS FASTEST FESTIVA !!! 11.78@115.9
              BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
              Redneck Engineer
              FOTY - '09
              5x Festiva Madness Attendee...FM 3,4,5,6,8
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpCZ7...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU_eX...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ

Comment

Got 31 MPG towing a '81 VW diesel Rabbit through the mountains of WV/MD/VA about 400 miles.
                '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
                '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
                '92 Aqua parts Car
                '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
                '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
                Your holy ghost will not save you.
                Your God plutonium will not save you.
                In fact...
                ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

I generally switch the air OFF if I'm starting out in traffic, especially up any rises, or hills- and it makes a difference in acceleration-

so, yes, I think A/C significantly lowers mileage- however you CAN do simple shut offs at certain times to minimize it.

Comment

I guess I could run it one tank without the AC to see the difference, but there
                    will be variables anyway as I'll be replacing other engine and suspension parts so
                    I dont know how accurate it will be either way. I'll see what it is without AC and
                    then with AC on the same car.

I make my wife do that in the Forester every time she gets on the highway. I'll
                    try it when I go to start off of lights til I get up to speed and put it back on and
                    see how much that helps

Comment

^^^ so...even if we are just towing a diesel we get better mpg's lol
                      Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Well, and the turbo car towing an Aspire got better MPG's than my Legacy haha

Comment

Yeah I get between 30-38 mpg towing with my Golf. Depending on AC usage. Its fun passing the big truck guys while doing so.
                          91GL BP/F3A with boost
                          13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

Working...
                          X