Possible New Festivite Here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible New Festivite Here

First post...I am a soon-to-be Festiva owner it appears. Wifey has brought news of a recent find at a home where she works once a week in my area. Been sitting for quite some time and she noticed it a couple years ago and told me she saw a poor little Geo Metro sitting out back on this couple's farm. She has driven a '92 Metro 1.0L automatic 4-dr now for about 5 years and you'd think she knows the difference??? Turns out she took a closer look for me the other day and the report back is it is a blue '93 Festiva GL. While I would prefer for the MPG of it all that it had a manual transmission, this one too has an automatic.

I haven't got the word yet on why it has been sitting for so long but I can hope it's something like a timing belt or ? that I can figure out myself. I went through that with her Metro when I found it on several flats, not running under a tree in a backlot outside of Baltimore, MD. $300 and brought it on a trailer and went through it front to back. That's when the bug bit me actually. That car has been with us for some 40K miles now and never a problem after I initially went over it. I'm looking to do the same with this Festiva if it is indeed a worthwhile project to begin with.

I can appreciate all the knowledge here on FF.com of these cars and such a resource is invaluable, as y'all know, when undertaking & owning/maintaining/modifying a project like this. Of course, MPG is my first concern for this car but who am I kiddin'??? These are such fun projects.

Anyway...all advice and critiques sent my way will be appreciated. It does not appear there is an equal amount of parts resources for the Festiva as I have enjoyed with the Metro but I will not let that deter me. I have not yet personally checked out this particular car...busy at work...but am relying on her observations as she has relayed them to me. She claims there "is not a lot of rust" noting one spot on the rear (hatch I assume) where it has a ding and probably the paint has been cracked/chipped. I'd have to roll under it and observe a lot more before making final decisions...on the Metro side, there are some prominent areas prone to rust that will make the car obsolete without some pretty extensive welding repairs on the front frame horns as well as the rear shock tower tops. I got lucky with my '92...it's as rust free as any I have seen.

Stuff to look for on this possible project? I'm all ears.

Thanks,

KiK

Welcome to the Forum!

Kentucky cars should be pretty rust-free, so if it has spent its life there, it should be good.

Sitting a long time means the gas will be bad, and there will be rust in the fuel system probably. New fuel filter on general principles, and pull the fuel pump to look inside the tank. (The tanks have drain plugs BTW.) While you're in there, put a new sock on the pump.

Beyond that, it's probably general stuff like you apparently know how to do, since you went through the Metro. Get a Haynes manual and a Ford Festiva shop manual if you can find one (eBay?).
    Last edited by TominMO; 10-06-2014, 09:10 AM.
    90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
    09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Not to mention how easy it is to look inside the tanks!

Old fuel can clog the injectors also, if Tom forgot to mention it. I need to get home to my computer!

Welcome to the site. I don't know how active the metro site is, but we're pretty active. I haven't heard of any twelve second metros though. ;P
      Running around outside the asylum again with my tappy talky appy
      Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
      Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
      "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

Originally posted by TominMO View Post

Get a Haynes manual and a Ford Festiva shop manual if you can find one (eBay?).

Thanks, Tom. Already found one. I learned that was the absolute first item to get my hands on. :-)

Comment

Originally posted by scitzz View Post
          Not to mention how easy it is to look inside the tanks!

Old fuel can clog the injectors also, if Tom forgot to mention it. I need to get home to my computer!

Welcome to the site. I don't know how active the metro site is, but we're pretty active. I haven't heard of any twelve second metros though. ;P
          Running around outside the asylum again with my tappy talky appy
          That's what I had to do to get the old Metro running long ago. Got a Pull-a-Part gas tank and fuel filter and the injector ...not sure which one did the job cause I did them all at once expecting they'd need to be looked at. Tank was full of junk...like maybe kids had put stuff in the filler tube. I never even tried to start it until I did the tank, filter and injector, but was informed by the PO that it hadn't run for some time.

They're a fairly active bunch over there at times. They've helped me tremendously just by reading the knowledgeable posts of past experience. Looks like I might be wearing out the "Search" button over here too.

Comment

Welcome,
            -Greg
            Euro-bprt...WORLDS FASTEST FESTIVA !!! 11.78@115.9
            BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
            Redneck Engineer
            FOTY - '09
            5x Festiva Madness Attendee...FM 3,4,5,6,8
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpCZ7...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU_eX...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ

Comment

Were in ky are you? Its not that hard to change over to a manual trans. good luck

Comment

I'm just south of Lexington...looking over Herrington Lake, Studebaker.

Comment

Welcome to the site.
                  An idea can turn to dust or magic, depending on the talent that rubs against it.

Comment

Welcome to FF.com. I had same situation as you as far as getting my hands on one that has been sitting for a while. I did a complete tune-up, replaced both front cv axles, valve cover gasket, etc... cleaned injectors, new fuel pump, .... the works. I will strongly recommend that you replace the alternator, water pump belt as I didn't because it looked fine. The years of sitting I suppose had dry rotted the belt and it popped on me. Picked one up from parts store for $15 and got a spare just in case for the trunk. Best of luck!

Comment

When you do an oil change, put some seal restorer in with the new oil. Might help with the front and rear main seals, and the camshaft seal; if it's been sitting awhile, they may be somewhat dried out.
                      90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                      09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

@TominMO <<<When you do an oil change, put some seal restorer in with the new oil>>>

:thumbs_up:

As in Bar's, MMO, ???

Comment

CD2, the black bottle.
                          Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
                          Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
                          "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

Thanks, Scitzz

Comment

Working...
                            X