Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seasoned Festy Owner with a Rookie Question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seasoned Festy Owner with a Rookie Question...

Hi everyone,

I'm doing an engine swap in a 91L right now. In the past (like 5 years ago) the last time I delved deeply into a festiva (they're so reliable, it's rare) I always pulled the engine AND transmission at the same time. A buddy informed me that in fact he's just pulled the engine out of the top with a hoist while leaving the trans. and axles intact.

I stood over the engine bay for a good 20 minutes today with all the periphery stuff removed, unless I'm missing something, just pulling motor would be like 75% easier than the way I've done a dozen times with past festys and metros.

Be nice. I did use the search function before posting, I guess no one has asked such a basic question as this in a long time

FX
    Because....45 MPG.

I once pulled a B3 out, left the 5 speed tranny in the car, installed new B3..... Start to finish 4-1/2 hours

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
    1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
    2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

It just depends on what you feel like doing. It can be tricky to get the engine back in line with the tranny. So I always pull both.

Originally posted by Damkid View Post
      I once pulled a B3 out, left the 5 speed tranny in the car, installed new B3..... Start to finish 4-1/2 hours
      And like Chris. I did the same swap once last summer in 4.5 to 5 hrs but I pulled both together.
      Last edited by Gomez; 10-13-2014, 07:51 PM.
      -Bryant

Comment

I've only done B3 exchanges and this is my personal experience:
        The first engine I change, I did it from the top with the transmission left in.
        It is less time consuming, but, working alone, I found it harder get the engine lined up to mate with the transmission.

On the next two I dropped the engine and transmission out the bottom on to a dolly, lifted the body up and rolled it out.
        With everything out of the way it is much easier to thoroughly clean the engine bay and front under body.
        I was also able to easily leave all the AC components connected (my ac was charged and working good at the time).

It is also much easier to change the steering rack if you happen to need to replace it at the same time.
        Cleaning the transmission and changing the axle seals was also easier.
        And while you have easy access, this is also a good time to replace struts, suspension parts, brake parts, cv axles etc.

Time to finish the job was not a factor in my cases where I removed the transmission also.

If you have to get the job done in a hurry, leaving the transmission in is the best, but having a helper to assist with mating the
        transmission sure would be a good idea.

It all depends on how much other work you want to do at the same time and how much time you have to do it.
        Last edited by 1990new; 10-13-2014, 08:09 PM.

Comment

I pulled the engine and trans. together. Lifted out the top. Didn't have to pull the crossmember that way. Done it twice now and to me it seems like the best way. Seems it would be difficult to mate the engine to trans. if you pull the engine by itself. I think I would yank the whole shootin' match even to replace the clutch. To each his own though.

Comment

I know when Matt and Karl pulled my B3 out, and dropped in my B6, they did it in a afternoon, and they left the transmission in the car. Got there about an hour before noon, and left just as the sun had completely set. But Matt had also cut and welded up my exhaust, and fixed my loose passenger control arm. Heck the exhaust was probably about half the time spent. Because the B6 was in and running by like 4 or 5 in the afternoon.

They did have some minor issues with getting the engine and the transmission aligned.
            Last edited by TorqueEffect; 10-13-2014, 09:13 PM.
            1991 Ford Festiva BP (Full Aspire/Rio Swap) (337k Miles) (Around 95k Engine)
            2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport 2.2L DOHC Ecotec (Threw a Rod)
            1998 Chevy Monte Carlo LS 3.1 V6 (225k miles) Best MPG = 28

Comment

I have done it both ways. Pros and cons to both. Mating the trans with a chain hoist is cake.
              Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
              Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
              "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

A leveler helps a lot too
                -Zack
                Blue '93 GL Auto: White 13" 5 Point Wheels, Full LED Conversion, and an 8" Sub

Comment

Working...
                X