Five speed trans swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Five speed trans swap

When I purchased my 88 four speed Festi I got a 5 speed trans with it. Is supposed to be a good trans out of a running car. How much do you think a shop would charge me to put it in?

Depends on the shop and their hourly rates. Book time on it per Mitchell's (estimator I use) is 3.6hr to R&R trans, which is basically all that job is, since they are identical on the outside, just an extra set of gears for 5th and an extra shift fork internally. Probably want to do a clutch while the trans is out, which brings the labor up to 4hrs even. Average shop around here charges between $75-$100hr, so $300-400 labor, plus the cost of parts (clutch, rear main seal, trans seals, possibly mounts). I probably wouldn't even approach it as swapping in a different trans, just replacing the trans. Shops sometimes hear the words motor or trans "swap" and immediately start seeing dollar signs. Its the same job for them either way, whether they are putting in a 4 or 5 speed.
    Last edited by htchbck; 10-14-2014, 01:31 PM.
    No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

I agree with everything htchbck said.

Or you could do it yourself. Here is a how to guide for removing the transmission:

I have done enough tranny removals and can drop a tranny in 45 minutes. The last clutch job we did in 2 hours, that was with all the chatting and not rushing.
      Last edited by nonamekid; 10-14-2014, 01:48 PM.
      The Festiva Store
      Specializing in restoration, tuning and custom parts.

Comment

No name, that is a pretty good write up!

skswig62 ... If I were you, I would do it myself. Save the money for going out and having a good time after you are done with the tranny! :mrgreen:
        Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
        Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
        Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
        Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
        http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

Wow I been doing trans replacements for 150 . Times have sure changed .
          New build on the way .

Comment

Nonamekid lives!
            And its not even Easter!
            Are you a zombie?
            Been a while since you been around!

Originally posted by nonamekid View Post
            I agree with everything htchbck said.

Or you could do it yourself. Here is a how to guide for removing the transmission:

I have done enough tranny removals and can drop a tranny in 45 minutes. The last clutch job we did in 2 hours, that was with all the chatting and not rushing.
            '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
            '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
            '92 Aqua parts Car
            '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
            '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
            Your holy ghost will not save you.
            Your God plutonium will not save you.
            In fact...
            ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Originally posted by shadetree View Post
              Wow I been doing trans replacements for 150 . Times have sure changed .
              Me too... but unfortunately neither of us are in FL Just wanted to give a rough idea of the kind of prices he may be looking at at a mainstream shop, not a festiva specialty place where we can do them in an hour or two lol. If you have a good set of jackstands, a good solid floor jack, and a ratchet set with at least 10mm, 12mm, 14mm, 17mm, 19mm, and 29mm you can do it yourself. There are a few good write-ups out there like the one noname posted above. If you have any questions, just ask
              No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

I have a clutch, so that should cut the parts bill down as well/

Comment

where are you located at?

Comment

I'm in northeast GA and Shadetree is in WV.
                    No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

A few things you can do to get the transmission ready beforehand:
                      Give it a thorough cleaning, replace the left and right axle seals, and the shifter shaft oil seal ($4.99 at O'Reiley).

Get all your gear shifter and shifter stabilizer bushings in advance.

Comment

Originally posted by Pu241 View Post
                        Nonamekid lives!
                        And its not even Easter!
                        Are you a zombie?
                        Been a while since you been around!
                        I stop in every once in awhile, but yeah no where near active like I used to be. We need a meet relatively nearby so that I can go to in the spring. Still collecting festivas and aspire donors. I think I have at least 11 festivas in the yard at the moment.
                        The Festiva Store
                        Specializing in restoration, tuning and custom parts.

Comment

It's a plug and play, direct swap if you want to try it yourself. The biggest problem we had was popping those axles out of the damn differential. The rest of it was just a simple but tedious step by step process. Just be careful you don't turn the differential after you pull the axles or the side gears will drop out of place inside and you will be truly fkd. Best to shove in some pvc pipe to keep them in place just in case.

Comment

Working...
                          X