Night driving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Night driving

Does anyone else have this problem? Every morning I leave for work at 5 am. Within five minutes there is always someone on my bumper, and their headlights are blinding me in my mirrors. I have to flip my mirrors so it's not as bad. I was wondering if anybody had any ideas on how to help this problem. I was thinking about dark tint, however I have to back up a lot. I wasn't sure how the tint was going to affect my visibility. By the way, I'm not driving slow either. Always over the speed limit.

Tint your back window I guess. Some people are bugged by this more than others. I borrowed my brother in laws truck one day and his mirrors were JACKED. After I gave it back I asked him why. He told me that he always drove with them that way because the lights bothered him.....
    Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
    Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
    Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

When people turn their brights on behind me I fold my side mirrors out towards them to let them deal with their headlights. If it's just their normal lights I ignore it. I found that even as dark as my rear window is it still let's was lights through but makes everything else harder to see. Tint didnt seem to help me much. You could always put mirror tint on your rear windshield lol
      1993 Festiva - White/Black - 5 speed

Comment

When people ride my bumper I slow down. There is no reason to hurt your fuel economy bc they are impatient. They will pass if they wanna go fast. And if they don't pass I pull over and make them go around. But that's the nice guy I am :-)

Comment

Happens to me all the time , people around here roll around in lifted up trucks and are too dumb to readjust the head lights after the 10 inch lift. It doesn't help that our cars are small and have almost no blind spots.
          I get so angry at this I want to put rear facing kc lights on mine.
          Rear Window tint helps some but really the side glass tented helps best. It blocks some of the light off the mirrors.
          I had thought about window tint on the mirrors them self.
          Last edited by william; 10-14-2014, 08:29 PM.

Comment

Thanks guys for all the ideas. That mirror tint idea really has me smiling. I can feel revenge already lol.

Comment

This drives me crazy too! Almost at least once every morning someone comes up on me and blinds me.

Comment

This would work.. http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...ated-Mini.html
                Yellow - '91 Festiva L - 5 speed

Comment

I have a pair of Hella FF1000's and 500's that I always wanted to throw
                  on the back of my car for people that didnt want to let off of their brights
                  1993 Festiva - White/Black - 5 speed

Comment

That was one of my favorite reasons for the power mirrors. I always dip them lower at night, at least the LH one. And I'm in the "slow down when a fool is on my bumper" group. I've always thought that if you're doing something that stupid, let's do it at a lower speed where it's less dangerous, and they will usually pass me. I usually drive at or near the speed limit and with the big trucks I do all I can to help them by. I will roll down the window and wave them by when the passing situation looks like it will work. I had to instruct my daughter in my methods on the way to Madness. We did as much non-interstate as possible and I cautioned her not follow too closely, but leave room for someone to be able to pass her and get between us because most folks aren't interested in going as slowly as I do( the limit).
                    "Blue92"- 92L 5 spd, original owner- 185K, B8,DD..
                    "Pedro"-88L 5-spd, B6D (built by Advancedynamix)
                    "Blanca"-92 GL auto, 125K(FM8 Lowest Miles)- B6 daughter's DD
                    "Tractor Blue"- 89 L auto, 110K
                    "Chester"-88 LX, runs but not street legal
                    "Wenona"-89L parts car
                    "Flame"- 89 LX 5 spd ,parts car

Comment

FGCY5H0HPN4LC9O.MEDIUM.jpg
                      1963 Fairlane - future NSS drag car
                      1965 Mustang Coupe - A-code car, restoring for/with my son
                      1973 F100 longbed - only 22k original miles, 360/auto, disk, PS/PB dealer in dash A/C
                      1996 Sonoma X-cab - son's DD
                      2002 Grand Prix - daughter's DD
                      2003 Sport Trac - 180k, 130k on replaced motor with new timing chains - F/S soon.
                      2005 Accord - wife's DD
                      2008 Mountaineer - step daughter's DD
                      2015 F150 SCrew - DD

Comment

If someone rides my tail for over a minute and I'm at least doing the speed limit, I slow down (sometimes quite rapidly) that USUALLY gets their attention. I'm not ruining my MPG's because someone needs to get to the next stop light 4 seconds faster.
                        Because....45 MPG.

Comment

If someone tailgates me,which isn't often. I just wash my windows,and wash my windows and wash my windows. Works like a charm,and its not illegal yet. welcomsign
                          Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
                          Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
                          Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

When I used to work outside of town i had an approx. 40 minute drive ot work in the early, predawn hours. I adjusted my outside mirrors per advice i recieved from a commercial driving school class i once took.

The idea is to adjust the mirrors to a point just outside of the 'point of view' while sitting in the normal driving position. THEN when you need to see behind you while backing (using you mirrors) it's a simple matter of leaning back slightly to get alligned with the mirror. Hope this makes sense.

Also, when i was quite a bit younger (35-ish years ago) I used to carry an aircraft landing spotlight that was mounted in a handheld casing.

Once when driving after dark, some doofus decided to come up behind me with the brights on. I backed off the throttle in hopes they would pass. Nope. Slowed more, still no pass. I sped up, they sped up. I slowed again. Nope, still no pass. So I reached under the seat, unwrapped the cord and plugged into the cigarette lighter. Held the light over my right shoulder and "WHAM" aimed right into the windsheild of the tailgater for about 2 seconds. They backed off for about a half mile then it started all over again. The second time I held it until they FINALLY got the message and turned off the road.

Now days i wouldn't even think of doing this with all the ding-dongs with road rage and such.

Comment

Originally posted by festyxfi View Post
                              If someone rides my tail for over a minute and I'm at least doing the speed limit, I slow down (sometimes quite rapidly) that USUALLY gets their attention. I'm not ruining my MPG's because someone needs to get to the next stop light 4 seconds faster.
                              Ha! On the rear bumper of the '66 VW "square-back" sedan I more or less lived out of a dozen years; combing lines on maps, of the western states even into Canada: I'd mounted an inexpensive though solid little flood lamp, sold typically for use by tractors loading during the evening.

With a slightly hidden switch at the bottom of the ashtray, conveniently in the center of the dash at the bottom of that; I'd been able to give a bright flash of light, rearwards at anyone stupidly or otherwise climbing my tail-which always had the desired effect.

Other methods, we've probably all used or attempted; each have only had mixed results at best-while I think some of the creeps do their best to ignore a person's annoyance, or are even egged onto being worse antagonists. The stuff road rage, certainly comes from; so that there are probably a flood of tales, of sordid relations along such lines.

Just about the rudest thing imaginable, whether during the day; or at night. Perhaps only equaled by use of high beams, into the eyes of oncoming traffic.

A person imagines potentials for 007 type approaches to the problem; say a nozzle to spew a vivid solution of gentian violet aimed accurately rearward, which since antiseptic isn't at all toxic; though certainly would stain incredibly.

Anyone a little slick, could do that easily; with a standard windshield washer device, relocated appropriately-while gentian violet in powdered form, I'd imagine a drugstore could obtain without a prescription; for creating a liquid solution...which is incredibly concentrated, dry.

Otherwise, a water balloon filled using a grease gun; would be more aggressive, if not so convenient nor easily done-unless a person had a knack for tossing them well. A more diffuse creation on the same principle, could be more useful; say wet, sloppy dung of some sort-like those railroad commodes, which jettison along the tracks.

One wonders, what a tailgater gets from that? Stupidly done, this signals a driver probably far less than conscious in many ways; while as aggression, certainly a dangerous sort of ploy-admittedly attractive in limited instances, such as attempting to pass; where the lead vehicle constantly aborts any opportunities, without the least attempt at courtesy.

With a Festiva, certainly getting around slower vehicles-like many a modestly powered car; you're on your wits and most advanced skills, doing so. A constant struggle at times, so very constraining and emotional; battling often hours and great distances, a never ending incremental at best climb with marginal rewards.

I got so that with the dense traffic and winding high speed drive from Eureka to the bay area along US 101; I liked waiting until well after "last call" in the bars; before embarking: Which came to be a fondly held tradition over time; which always allowed me to get there in about four and a half hours, to the Gilman exit in Berkeley-even once seeming like only ten minutes, as I must've been so meditative all along the way.

I think a car, is one of the most martial devices commonly used in everyday life; so strategy is inimical, to successful use of one. If one hasn't the stomach, to consider themselves embarked upon a warrior's mission; then alternatively, I think motor sports offers an allied vision-a person may modify to some sort of a kindly adjunct.

All in all, I doubt anything else is doing more to kill the earth's environment; where reading lately, I've been most impressed at observations of other planets which seem to've suddenly suffered a loss of their atmosphere. Hey, let's hear all the excuses; when that comes down.
                              Last edited by bobstad; 10-21-2014, 09:17 PM.
                              '91 Festiva L/'73 Windsor Carrera Sport custom

(aka "Jazz Bobstad," "The BobWhan," etc.)

Art is the means whereby(a) society advances: Religion is the definition of the parameters of art. Poetry is the actualization of these...

Comment

Working...
                              X