52.08 MPG a 5% improvement!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 52.08 MPG a 5% improvement!

Improved my "second" tank since starting to drive my Festiva to 52.08 MPG combined driving. Been working on my "hypermiling" technique :shock: Remember, if the "engine ain't running it ain't using gas" (I shut it off at lights like a pseudo hybrid).
    1986 Comp Prep SVO Mustang(1 of 83) Four cylinder turbo! (Think first Fox body "R" model!)
    1995 F-150 Extra Cab and it was free!
    1991 Festiva L, Surf Blue with A/C
    1995 Jeep Cherokee 2wd 5 speed 4.0 and it was free!
    1993 Aqua Festiva and it was cheap!
    1994 Brake Swap and it was cheap!
    1969 Ford F100 Big Block Ranger and it was free! (coming 2/12)

doesn't starting and restarting your car use alot of gas?
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2065064/1
    Paulbarrera12.com
    Festiva Visualizer Project

Comment

Originally posted by xanthinic12
      doesn't starting and restarting your car use alot of gas?
      There is a "start fuel" addition that takes place during cranking rpm, but its usually only about 20% of the idle rpm pulse width...so you add a few milliseconds of fuel per revolution when cranking, but it would still be less than to have the car running.

However, there will be a fairly drastic reduction in life of the starter if using this method to conserve fuel. So, will it be worth it??

I guess that all depends on how long your starter lasts. If you can save only $10.00 in fuel over the life of the starter...then its probably not a good idea.
      Waiting to behold the power of Ra.

IMS Power Development
      Festivas:
      Project...BlackMagic

Comment

i use that method to exept mine just shuts off when I push in the clutch, the idle is set to low.

Comment

I've never heard of a Festiva starter going out(someone here has most likely). I'm sure it happens, but they are pretty tough.

Comment

not much to crank on a 1.3L engine! i would expect the starter to last fairly long, but IMO its still not worth it unless its a light you know is real long. i do, however, shut my engine off on a few long hills around here. just b carful you loose your power brakes! but then at the bottom i just pop-start it. free miles!
            ~Nate

the keeper of a wonderful lil car, Skeeter.

Current cars:
            91L "Skeeter" 170k, Aspire brakes, G15, BP, Advancedynamics coil overs, etc. My first love.
            1990 Kawasaki Ninja 250 - my gas saver, 60+mpg - 40k
            2004 MotoGuzzi Breva - my "longer range" bike - 17k

FOTY 2008 winner!

Comment

If you time it right you can usually "bump" start (try not to come to a stop)saving wear and tear on the starter. I have a spare starter anyway. I would think a 5% increase in mileage would pay for a starter over the years.
              1986 Comp Prep SVO Mustang(1 of 83) Four cylinder turbo! (Think first Fox body "R" model!)

Comment

just strap a windsurfing board to the roof if you want better mpg :roll:

Comment

T he Festiva was designed as an economy car, that's why I bought it. Might as well try for the most economy right? If I feel the need for speed I have 1 of 83 Comp Prep '86 SVO Mustangs in my garage .......

Comment

52.08 miles to the gallon is some good gas mileage !!. I drove my GL to a job site for three weeks one time and got similar mileage. My route was a level back top surface going through a valley ( little wind ) and the speed limit on the mostly deserted road was 45 MPH. I only had one stop midway there and cruised about 50 MPH in fifth gear. At the time my a/c belt was off. I tested it with three tankfuls and got the same result each time. So I know under perfect conditions that 50 plus miles to the gal is possible. I never tried the hypermiling technique though.
                    sigpic
                    The Don - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter

Link to my festiva pictures below
                    https://fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=10
                    Celebrating 25 years of festiva(s) ownership.

Comment

I also like to turn off my engine anytime I know I'll be sitting at a light more than fifty seconds or so.

On my way to Canada, I got stuck in construction traffic going about 1 mph and I turned off my engine for twenty minutes, coasting and using my handbrake to stop or slow down! I was fortunate it was a downhill.

Karl
                      '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
                      '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
                      '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
                      '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
                      '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Working...
                      X