65 F100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 65 F100

Co worker wants to give me his old truck. He parked it 2 years ago because he got another vehicle & gas prices. Needs battery,fresh gas,left fender & complete floor pan. Will cost me $150 to tow it home.Sheet metal is reasonably available through J C Whitney,should I do it? Have too many projects as it is,your thoughts please-

Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
    Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
    Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

First off can you use it or would it just be another sink hole for both time and money?
    Second can you save yourself $150, which would pay for a fresh gas and a new battery, by picking these up and bring these to the truck?
    3rd can you resell it at a profit after getting it on line if you find you don't need it?
    cost/benefit analysis.
    '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
    '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
    '92 Aqua parts Car
    '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
    '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
    Your holy ghost will not save you.
    Your God plutonium will not save you.
    In fact...
    ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

I've had a couple of 65 F100's and I loved them! If I lived near you I'd come get it asap. Those trucks are everlasting, easy to work on, and very durable...and you can get it free? Man!

Comment

A pickup truck is 'handier than a pocket in a shirt' if you've got space to park it. Up this way all 1987 and newer vehicles have to be bi-annually emission tested which is a real PITA especially if you keep a vehicle only for occasional use. What's nice about the real oldies is no seat belts to wear, no plastics to degrade, no electronics to fail and/or cost a fortune to diagnose and fix, standard and common 15 inch tires, and dead simple durable and reliable engines and transmissions. Presumably this has a three on the tree and an inline six in it. Body on frame is also nice and obviously where you are they don't use much salt on the roads. Parts for old Ford trucks are easier and cheaper to get now than they ever were. Somebody already cleaned up and painted the rims on this thing which is $150+ (if it was nicely done) right there.
        1965 is modern enough that the mechanicals will not be outright strange and primitive like on the 1947 Ford pickup I was involved with trying to make roadworthy last year. No synchros in any gear and a top speed of 45 even with the flathead 8 that was in it. And sprung so stiff you didn't want to go fast anyway!

Comment

Its always good to have a truck around. I personally have a 78 f150 that I use every two or three weeks for some task or chore.

That truck looks rough but it could clean up ok and the price is defiantly right. It's really up to you if you think you have the time and money to make it right pick it up, if you are all ready up to your eyeballs in projects it might be best to pass. I can say that even if some one tried to give me a project car right now I would pass, but I already have 5 cars, two houses and a todo list that is way too long.

Comment

I told him I hae to many projects right now. He is going to hold it for me till spring.........
            Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
            Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
            Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

If you pass I know someone in Antioch who might want it.

Comment

Originally posted by nitrofarm View Post
                I told him I hae to many projects right now. He is going to hold it for me till spring.........
                haha, what a nice guy: storing a project for you on his property.
                The Festiva Store
                Specializing in restoration, tuning and custom parts.

Comment

Working...
                X