Headlight bulb retaining ring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headlight bulb retaining ring

The headlight retaining rings are now min of 21 yrs old. The plastic is getting brittle. My supply of used ones are getting low. Parts cars are getting hard to find.

Does anyone know where to get new ones?

Does any other car use this retainer?

What are we to do?

ford part# E8BZ13N019A no longer avail. equivalent kia part # KK15051033. shows up at 4GREEN. described as socket-cover but the illustration i got the # from clearly shows a retaining ring.

Comment

Has anyone verified that the Dorman Help #42415 fits? I am about to spend the $8 to find out for myself.
      Little Red Car

Comment

Could these possibly be 3D-printed? Of course, somebody would have to make the CAD model.

Then again, if they can be purchased for a mere $8, why bother?

For reference, a 3D printer manufacturer told me recently that typical 3D printer "plastic" costs $5 to $6 per cubic INCH!
        88L black, dailydriver
        88LX silver a/c, dailydriver
        4 88/89 disassembled
        91L green
        91GL aqua pwrsteer
        92GL red a/c reardmg
        3 93L blue, 2 dailydriver, 1 frontdmg
        1952 Cessna170B floatplane

Comment

I always take the rings off at the wrecking yard.
          Mine broke too once.

Comment

Think about it ... the Festiva's downfall after a quarter of a century could be the lack of a source for two-dollar plastic headlight bulb retainers!
            88L black, dailydriver
            4 88/89 disassembled
            91L green
            91GL aqua pwrsteer
            92GL red a/c reardmg

Comment

That's why duct tape was invented!

Comment

I haven't tried duct tape, but I did try glue gun and/or jb weld for a while, and all it got me was early burn-out on the bulb - I guess from moisture getting in. now I have issues on both left and right, so I am getting serious. I just spent the middle of the day thinking about it, and napping on it, and I have an idea for a design to fix the rings I have. I will keep you posted as I progress.

I will also be able to do the cad and the 3d printing if it comes to that. The cad is the easy part for me, but I'm not hooked up at present with a printer.

On Amazon, they give dimensions for the Dorman 42415, and if they are correct and I understand them correctly, it is much larger than the Festiva ring. I still want to verify this. The Dorman 42415 fits a '93 F-150, and it is of the exact same style as the Festiva, so if any of you know someone with a 93-96 F-150, please compare and let us know.

Meanwhile, I may stuff newspaper behind my sockets to hold them in.....!
                Little Red Car

Comment

If you cannot find rings then remove both headlamps, make sure they are really dry inside, turn them glass-down and then silicon or permatex them in. Wait till its dry before re-installing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

forget about the Kia ones i gave a part # for above. i ordered them and they ended up being dust boots for euro H4 halogens.

Comment

vectormechanic,

3D printers are down to as little as $349 for something like 6"x6"x6".
                      88L black, dailydriver
                      4 88/89 disassembled
                      91L green
                      91GL aqua pwrsteer
                      92GL red a/c reardmg

Comment

got 2 from summit http://www.summitracing.com/parts/rn...30YaAtLg8P8HAQ

92 GL was red automatic Ms Va., now Zinc Yellow

Comment

I have verified first hand (Autozone got one in) that Dorman #42415 is much smaller in diameter. I also searched hi and lo for a replacement, down other avenues, and it seems there just ain't none no more. I commence making my own now.

Please everyone, DO NOT DISCARD YOUR USELESS RINGS. I may want to buy them from you if not fix them for you.
                          Little Red Car

Comment

Are there really no replacements? Seems a little crazy!

I don't think PLA will hold up well to the heat, but ABS might do it. Time to fire up the printer...
                            ~Nate

the keeper of a wonderful lil car, Skeeter.

Current cars:
                            91L "Skeeter" 170k, Aspire brakes, G15, BP, Advancedynamics coil overs, etc. My first love.
                            1990 Kawasaki Ninja 250 - my gas saver, 60+mpg - 40k
                            2004 MotoGuzzi Breva - my "longer range" bike - 17k

FOTY 2008 winner!

Comment

I was going to ask what materiel you guys were planning to use. An FDM printer might do it but doesnt abs conform after time and not hold its spring? Thats pretty thin fingers and you do get a fair bit of heat there. Polyjet would never work and i think a part from an sla printer would be too brittle, though it may hold the spring tension better. If you model it up yourself maybe make the fingers thicker and try abs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X