Festiva road trip bucket list

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Festiva road trip bucket list

I've been fortunate in the past three or four years to have been able to take time off with my family and take a number of road trips in our B6 Festiva. Our first one was to Festiva Madness in September and October of 2011 and at 10,000km / 6,000 miles it was our longest.... so far. In that time we've been through 25 of the lower 48 states, Washington DC and three of the Canadian Provinces.

I've been thinking of other places we'd like to visit specifically for the drive and some of those have been documented on our Econobox Cafe blog. So here's a "favorite drives" bucket list:

In the U.S.
    1. Pikes Peak, Colorado
    2. Tail of the Dragon, Tennessee
    3. Route 66

In Canada
    1. The entire length of the Trans-Canada highway. I've driven more than half of it but not all in the Festiva
    2. Sea-to-sky Highway, British Columbia
    3, Pacific Rim Highway, British Columbia
    4. Icefields Parkway, Alberta

Those first seven are quite feasible and in fact we may be doing at least one of them in the next twelve months or so. These next ones are a bit more ambitious:

1. Nurburgring, Germany
    2. Stelvio Pass, Italy
    3. The formula one course in Monaco.

What are your drives are on your bucket list?
    Ian
    Calgary AB, Canada
    93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
    59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Our first trip of any distance in the Festiva B3 was to the Olympic Peninsula here in Washington state, down through Portland, Oregon and then back home ~750 miles. Our next venture was to Westiva 2014. Just a few days ago I got back from a trip down through ID to Las Vegas, Phoenix, Yuma and then up through California to Fresno where I met and had a good time with Ralph. I left Fresno and went through San Jose, San Francisco, up through Oregon where I met Movin, over to Portland and then home for a total of 3340 miles.

Now that the B3 is broken in and the B6 is the next build, the bucket list includes a trip to Festiva Madness 2015 (with several stops along the way) and a trip to New England with both rigs. This should be 7000+ miles.

One trip at a time but I would also like to take the Festie to Grand Canyon.

Thanks for asking.

Comment

Those are some great sounding trips! I have always wanted to get up NW area of the U.S. Montana, Washington, and Oregon ...around in there.
      Oregon would be great! I too, would like to meet Marvin and roll thru the hills up there in the Off Road Festy!!! (not sure if its back on the road???)

Beautiful country!!!!
      Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
      Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
      Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
      Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
      http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

Going to the Sun Road in Glacier National Park... I'll probably do it next summer. I'd also like to take the coast highway from Oregon down into California to the redwoods.

Comment

Originally posted by H8PVMNT View Post
          Going to the Sun Road in Glacier National Park... I'll probably do it next summer. I'd also like to take the coast highway from Oregon down into California to the redwoods.
          We did Going to the Sun a couple of years ago. Would love to do it again and spend a bit more time exploring. Here's the link to the first post about the trip on our blog.

Ian
          Ian
          Calgary AB, Canada

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Comment

I was reminded of another bucket list drive today. I would love to drive the entire length of the Florida Keys.
            Ian
            Calgary AB, Canada

Comment

Tail of dragon is awesome ride.
              N3WBI3

Comment

Originally posted by fastivaca View Post
                I was reminded of another bucket list drive today. I would love to drive the entire length of the Florida Keys.
                It's overrated in my opinion. I lived in south Florida for many years and only made the trip down there a couple times because it's not that exciting. But I grew up around the ocean and didn't see snow till I was 37, so my opinion may be skewed.
                Last edited by Eaglefreek; 12-07-2014, 07:01 PM.
                Rick
                1993 Ford Festiva
                1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear. SOLD
                1981 AMC Eagle Wagon-As Seen on TV Lost In Transmission
                2000 Ford E350

Comment

Originally posted by Eaglefreek View Post
                  It's overrated in my opinion. I lived in south Florida for many years and only made the trip down there a couple times because it's not that exciting. But I grew up around the ocean and didn't see snow till I was 37, so my opinion may be skewed.
                  Yep I agree....having lived in south FLa for 19 years I went down through the keys about 6 times...its two lane for a long way and the rest is all crazy florida drivers....really. The fly overs you see in the ads are very appealing, but not when you're on flat roads.....yuk.
                  92 GL, 98k
                  77 Chevy shortbed

Comment

I spent a week exploring the beaches and capes of the oregon coast. I did another doing the same from hiway one up to Brookings. I want to do one next the length of the coast range using paved roads as little as possible, in Oregon. So many more..Mountains, abandoned towns, gold mines...

Dan its me thats off the road right now , I have been treated for a year or so and last Thursday it turned into emergency surgery. The doc should release me to work and drive by New Years. Glad to get that fixed and behind me.
                    Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Working...
                    X