To buy or not to buy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To buy or not to buy

I'm looking at ac tig welders alot lately, the big question is buy the cheap but great reviewed Chinese brand welder, or wait maybe a whole year to save up enough cash to buy a Miller goody. I'm mainly concerned about current capacity since I'll be welding on half inch plate aluminum. If I bought the cheaper welder isn't it an option to pre heat the piece with a propane torch or something, get it up to operating temp so then it would have better penetration throughout the weld. Is it worth the hassle for saving 2 to 3 thousand dollars? But maybe not having a superb reliable welder

Buy a Miller, Lincoln, or Hobart, but don't buy cheap Chinese. I have bought both and hated the Chinese one. Had it for about a month before I went and bought a nice used Lincoln welder. Mind you these are MIG welders, but it should carry over to the TIG world. My MIG has the option to add a TIG welder to it. I am still trying to master MIG welding before I try my hand at TIG. It is also really nice to go to my local welding store and they have the liners and all the other parts I need right on the shelf. The guys there are really nice and helpful. You will probably end up getting gas from them anyway, so you will be there often enough.
    The Festiva Store
    Specializing in restoration, tuning and custom parts.

Comment

I've heard good things about longevity and eastwood. Some people say there junk but I personally have seen god results from the eastwood tig so I may try that. Unless I find a good deal on a used name brand.

Comment

Eastwood ...good brand from what I hear. I have a Clark, has served me well for years. Made in Italy.
        Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
        Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
        Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
        Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
        http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

Miller end of story!
          N3WBI3

Comment

You get what you pay for!
            2008 Kia Rio- new beater
            1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
            1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
            1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
            1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
            1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
            1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
            1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

Originally posted by jayber View Post
              Miller end of story!
              I've got a Hobart and a Miller is going to replace it someday. I'd buy a stick welder before I would buy a Chinese welder. Especially since you plan on welding thick material.
              Rick
              1993 Ford Festiva
              1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear. SOLD
              1981 AMC Eagle Wagon-As Seen on TV Lost In Transmission
              2000 Ford E350

Comment

Working...
              X