Anyone used this trailer hitch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone used this trailer hitch?

They are made specifically for a Festiva, but I don't ever see them mentioned around here.

EDIT: Nevermind, no way in hell I am cutting the bumper for a hitch that has a pathetic tongue weight and towing capacity.

I just searched the part number on here and got results. lol
    Last edited by TorqueEffect; 12-17-2014, 01:46 PM.
    1991 Ford Festiva BP (Full Aspire/Rio Swap) (337k Miles) (Around 95k Engine)
    2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport 2.2L DOHC Ecotec (Threw a Rod)
    1998 Chevy Monte Carlo LS 3.1 V6 (225k miles) Best MPG = 28

Funny you should ask, I was looking into hitches yesterday. I found this thread http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ighlight=hitch From what I can tell the general consensus is that you can have one fabricated for an equivalent cost with a better design and more strength.

Comment

I was TOLD that hitches are available from U-Haul for less than $100. I have not had the time to check into it and confirm.

Comment

I have a Class V 10K # rating hitch you can modify to fit your frame for just $25
        N3WBI3

Comment

I recently used my hitch, which a Seattle trailer hitch shop built for $300, to haul a loaded U-Haul 4x8 trailer from Boston to Baltimore at the speed limit with no problems -- and got 27mpg!

Note that it requires the 1990-93 style two-slot rear tiedown brackets.

I have a dimensioned sketch that I've been meaning to put into CAD, but could scan in if anybody wants it.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by AlaskaFestivaGuy; 12-17-2014, 07:24 PM.
          88L black, dailydriver
          88LX silver a/c, dailydriver
          4 88/89 disassembled
          91L green
          91GL aqua pwrsteer
          92GL red a/c reardmg
          3 93L blue, 2 dailydriver, 1 frontdmg
          1952 Cessna170B floatplane

Comment

Originally posted by AlaskaFestivaGuy View Post
            I recently used my hitch, which a Seattle trailer hitch shop built for $300, to haul a loaded U-Haul 4x8 trailer from Boston to Baltimore at the speed limit with no problems -- and got 27mpg!

Note that it requires the 1990-93 style two-slot rear tiedown brackets.

I have a dimensioned sketch that I've been meaning to put into CAD, but could scan in if anybody wants it.
            Does your hitch only attach at the tiedowns, or is it also bolted to the body?
            90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
            09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

I have the Curt hitch installed on Luxstiva. Just FYI, I can stand on it and it doesn't flex or feel wimpy at all. I weigh about 210 pounds.

I'm not saying to go over the rated 100 pounds tongue or 1000 pounds tow weight, but I think it is a bit more sturdy than it gets credit for. Just make sure your bumper is not too rusty underneath!

Karl
              '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
              '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
              '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
              '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
              '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Originally posted by jayber View Post
                I have a Class V 10K # rating hitch you can modify to fit your frame for just $25
                Jay ber , Oh my gosh, just what I need lol !!

Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Originally posted by Safety Guy View Post
                  I have the Curt hitch installed on Luxstiva. Just FYI, I can stand on it and it doesn't flex or feel wimpy at all. I weigh about 210 pounds.

I'm not saying to go over the rated 100 pounds tongue or 1000 pounds tow weight, but I think it is a bit more sturdy than it gets credit for. Just make sure your bumper is not too rusty underneath!

Karl
                  yeah, my bumper is mostly made of rust, so yeah, that probably wouldn't be a good idea to go and attach a hitch to a rusty bumper.

Comment

As long as there is no cutting you could put most any hitch on then have a U haul center check it for safety, If they say no at least your bumper would have a little extra help !
                    Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Originally posted by Movin View Post
                      Jay ber , Oh my gosh, just what I need lol !!

Pffft this hitch could carry twice that and both Festivas on top
                      N3WBI3

Comment

I guess I'll consider it then. Lol I just want something for towing cars, mainly other festivas I find on Craigslist.
                        So think it can handle a uhaul tow dolly?
                        Last edited by TorqueEffect; 12-18-2014, 01:13 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X