Festiva lifespan?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Festiva lifespan?

I recently totaled my truck and was looking to replace it with something cheaper and a bit more expendable. There is a 1989 Festiva for sale near me that I have my eye on but I was just curious about the average number of miles you can get out of a festiva. It currently has just under 90k on it. Also are there any problems that festivas are prone to that I should be aware of?

I have a 1990 Festiva with 600k plus that I bought with 90k on it. Since I have owned it the motor and trans have never been out.Haven't even had to replace the clutch! Hasn't been driven much in the last couple years but as long as the battery is charged will start right up.

Comment

Festivas will run forever if properly maintained. 350k+ is not uncommon. The problem festivas are prone to is drivers who don't maintain them and abuse them. Outside of keeping up on normal maintenance and not abusing it, the car should give many trouble free miles. 90k miles is low miles for a festiva.
      The Festiva Store
      Specializing in restoration, tuning and custom parts.

Comment

You've been on this forum for over eight years and haven't picked up on half the reason most of us own these cars?
        91GL BP/F3A with boost
        13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

Originally posted by bhazard View Post
          You've been on this forum for over eight years and haven't picked up on half the reason most of us own these cars?
          Lol, yes they will run forever.
          also look into the ford aspire.
          There is one with 50k original miles close to pittsburgh for $2k on craigslist.
          It is automatic so maybe you could talk em down.
          But same thing will run forever.
          It has the same engine as the festiva and will run over 300k+ miles as well.
          Last edited by rmoltis; 12-23-2014, 04:56 PM.
          Running 40psi.....in my tires.

http://aspire.b1.jcink.com/index.php?showtopic=611&st=0

Comment

Since it looks like you live in a rust belt state, be warned, the rear axle mount can rust through. Other than that, they should last you a while. If the engine DOES blow up, a replacement can be had for around $100, and some people that do swaps sometimes give their old B3 motors away.

The only thing that will kill these is salt, and abuse, and they can take allot of both but shortens their life span. I bought mine when it had around 300k miles on it, was no longer on the original engine, had a engine put in it at a unknown point in history of the car, but I put about 10-15k miles on it before swapping to a B6 from a 80s Tracer.
            Last edited by TorqueEffect; 12-23-2014, 05:35 PM.
            1991 Ford Festiva BP (Full Aspire/Rio Swap) (337k Miles) (Around 95k Engine)
            2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport 2.2L DOHC Ecotec (Threw a Rod)
            1998 Chevy Monte Carlo LS 3.1 V6 (225k miles) Best MPG = 28

Comment

Rust and abuse. The two festy kills....totally agree.
              Because....45 MPG.

Comment

Froggy, also be aware that if it's an 89 EFI automatic, they had some intake parts unique to that year, and getting replacement parts will be harder.
                90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

The 90 and newer cars have some revisions that make them a better choice. The 89 Manual is Carbureted and that can be finicky, the 89 efi is a special breed. It shares more in common with the mazda bf 323 fuel injection than it does any other festiva. Automatic cars get drastically worse fuel mileage than the manual trans cars from my experience (I've owned 2 autos and both drank 25-28mph regularly). If I were you, I'd get a 90-93 5 speed car from the southwest (AZ, NM or southern CA). You'll have a car that will take care of you as long as you take care of it. They are very simple to maintain and repair. They don't make real good winter cars though, the heater is slightly more effective than a VW bug and it only comes out the defrost vents. They go pretty good in the snow, but (like has already been stated) salt will destroy the car quickly. Good luck!
                  Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

As for winter, if you cover the grill and bumper air intakes it will heat up quite nicely. Foot and defrost is good enough to keep you plenty warm. Make sure you have a 192 or 195-degree thermostat, not 180.
                    90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                    09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

I own a 93 with 365,000 miles that i bought from the original owner at 340,000 miles.Still running well with just regular maintenance to motor.

Comment

Working...
                      X