Upper Seat Belt Motor Failure: How to Hot Wire It

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upper Seat Belt Motor Failure: How to Hot Wire It

I searched some post here and found out about a few things about what to do if your seat belt motor fails (the one inside the upper rail).

Just behind the door opening and just above the back seat is a circular removable panel only about 1.5 inches in diameter. Pop that out and fish for a wire in there. Pull it out and there is a connector covered in foam there. I removed the outer foam with my pocket knife and then unhooked the white plastic connector, no fuse, just a connector. If I remember correctly the wire colors are blue and one of the wires had a piece of paper wrapped around the end of it for identification.

In my case, my drivers side upper seat belt was stuck in the forward position and I didn't want to drive around with that hanging down like that. So here's what I did after I unhooked those blue wires.

I opened my fuse box and removed the cigar fuse. Then I got a piece of wire about 3 or 4 feet long. I stuck one end into the left terminal of the cigar fuse, I just shoved it in there and it stayed. Now that wire has 12 volts going through it. Then I touched the other end of that 'now hot' wire to the blue wire that has the paper wrapped around it. I tried to first touch that other blue wire but I pulled away really quickly when it sparked. As soon as I touched the blue wire with the paper, the seat belt motor activated on the drivers side and went into the driving position. Then I pulled the seat belt fuse and left it out for good. (Remember to put the cigar fuse back in).

Ok, that's what worked for me. I know, most of you hate those belts but for now, I'm living with them. You might be in the middle of somewhere and your belt motor doesn't work for you. Keep a roll of wire in your Festiva tool box and it'll only take you 5 minutes to fix. I hope this helps someone in the future...

Allan
    Last edited by ajbremer; 12-26-2014, 08:57 PM.

There is a spot to crank it into position under the circular inspection hole next to the seat. I had to use it to move mine into the locked position when it quit working.
    Jerry
    Team Lightning

Owner of Team Lightning
    90 L "Peewee" B6D. Bought new May 16,1990
    92 L Thunder BP G5M-R Turbo B6T electronics. Jan 2016 FOTM winner SOLD
    93 L Lightning. BP

Not a user of drugs or alcohol, Just addicted to Festiva's

Comment

Yep pull the plug in the panel and use the factory supplied hex\allen wrench.

Comment

Very good!

Comment

Working...
        X