New Festiva Owner ALL tips tricks and other teachings welcome

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Festiva Owner ALL tips tricks and other teachings welcome

I picked up a white 1990 festiva with 97128 miles for 500$. Some rust but not beyond fixing. looking to lightly tune the car and improve it. If you could help point me in the right direction to make sure this car stays on the road

Welcome to the forum!

Make sure you have good spark plug wires, and new plugs, and the usual tune up stuff like new oil and filter. Might wanna look at the fluids like tranny fluid and coolant.

Advance the timing as far as you can, without it detonating.

That's a good price for a lo mile Festy!

Put your location in your profile (city/state) there may be members close that can help!

You have joined a very informative and friendly forum!! One of the best I have been on.

Oh, yeah we love pics! Lets see your Festy! (pics or it didn't happen!)
    Last edited by drddan; 01-08-2015, 05:12 AM.
    Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
    Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
    Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
    Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
    http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

Don't ever leave it stock...... Oh wait..... That's just what I tell myself haha

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
      1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
      2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Don't drive it in the winter. Lol

Comment

Generally I try to avoid these types of situations...

Car #789
          Sponsors: Williams American Construction, Dewaynes Tire service, Roofing Supply Group
          1992 Festiva L - BP Swapped, Aspire Swapped, Rally America Sanctioned.
          1993 Festiva GL - 4sp Automatic and the bluest car i've ever seen...
          http://www.facebook.com/warally

Comment

Welcome to the forum. Start reading the stickies and learn how to use the search function. Almost any and everything that has anything to do with a Festiva is here.
            I hate being Bi-Polar, it's awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFestiva View Post

Ha Ha! That IS good advice!!

This should be in a Festiva calendar!
              Last edited by drddan; 01-08-2015, 12:57 PM.
              Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
              Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
              Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
              Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
              http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

Originally posted by WTFestiva View Post

Yes, like WTFestiva say's, don't put BMW wheels on your festiva. They roll over and play dead.

Welcome to the community! It's easy to get hooked on these little cars.
                Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

I would suggest the k&n drop in filter for your air box
                  someone correct me if I'm wrong but,
                  I believe the part# is (33-2222).

It won't gain you extra power.
                  But it will allow your engine to breathe at stock capacity.
                  which will increase responsiveness and give smooth power delivery at any rpm.
                  they are cheap to buy too. It's usually the first thing I do along with a "full tune up".
                  A tune up and that new drop in filter will get your car running in tip top shape

you'll be loving life

Full tune up
                  1.oil change and filter
                  2. Transmission fluid replacement
                  3. Clutch kit replacement at some point for long term peace of mind
                  4. Spark plugs, Cap, rotor, and wires
                  5. Fuel filter
                  6. Check pcv valve (some last forever, some don't)
                  7. Brake job ( pads, rotors, drum pads, new drum springs and wheel cylinders) and thorough cleaning
                  8. While doing brakes, wheel bearings front and rear will help decrease rolling resistance and increase mpg if old ones were bad.
                  9. Check c.v. joints and replace if old, cracked, making noises, torn boots etc.
                  10. Check tie rod ends and if bad replace.
                  11. Check control arm to swaybar, swaybar to frame, and rear beam bushings and replace if cracked, old, worn.
                  12. If replacing any of those suspension components get an alignment afterwards.
                  13. Check and replace and old, cracked, worn belts in the engine.
                  14. Replace o2 sensors with fresh ones.
                  15. Drain coolant system, replace thermostat and gasket, and refill system with new coolant.
                  16. Cleaning dirty parts ex. ( removing intake manifold, throttle body, or egr valve and cleaning carbon buildup with intake cleaner)
                  Sometimes a good cleaning can make a world of difference, or just keep things in tip-top-shape

I'm sure I'm forgetting something.
                  Those are just most of the wearable replaceable items/points
                  Last edited by rmoltis; 01-09-2015, 03:50 PM.
                  Running 40psi.....in my tires.

http://aspire.b1.jcink.com/index.php?showtopic=611&st=0

Comment

hi everyone,just recently bought kia pride sx 2000,58000 miles,silver,for £150,rear brakes no good,still drove home,have fitted new shoes,but had to grind some of the metal,as the drums would not go back on,fully slackened off h/cable,still did not go on,till i grinded of some,mtal, on shoes..new air filter,as it was empty,pictures soon.

Comment

Even better than the K&N, and free, is to drill some more air holes in the bottom airbox piece. The stock pleated paper filter will flow more volume than the intake tube can carry anyway; the filter is just restricted by intake design.

You can easily double the intake capacity of the airbox by drilling holes in it. For Aspire airboxes, remove the pointless snorkel thing at the front, and then drill some more holes.
                      90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                      09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Originally posted by thes View Post
                        hi everyone,just recently bought kia pride sx 2000,58000 miles,silver,for £150,rear brakes no good,still drove home,have fitted new shoes,but had to grind some of the metal,as the drums would not go back on,fully slackened off h/cable,still did not go on,till i grinded of some,mtal, on shoes..new air filter,as it was empty,pictures soon.
                        Don't forget to look for rust, rear axle mounts are where it will kill these cars. You guys over there in the U.K though have it rough, as rust holes equal automatic failure on your MOT.
                        1991 Ford Festiva BP (Full Aspire/Rio Swap) (337k Miles) (Around 95k Engine)
                        2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport 2.2L DOHC Ecotec (Threw a Rod)
                        1998 Chevy Monte Carlo LS 3.1 V6 (225k miles) Best MPG = 28

Comment

Working...
                        X