Cold air comes out bi-level vents...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cold air comes out bi-level vents...

It's been pretty cold lately here in Oklahoma, around 6 degrees last night.

I noticed that even though heat was coming out pretty good in my Festiva, cold air is 'slightely' coming out of those mid-level vents where the a/c would normally come out. I'm thinking of duct tapping the holes. Is there some kind of vent door that isn't shutting?

You can always take the radio/vent panel off and use some good tape or something to seal it better. I always unhook the linkage and mount it shut then seal it with black duct tape since I NEVER use them.
    -Bryant

Comment

The seals around all of the vent doors in all of our Festivas are falling apart.
      The only way to properly replace all of the seals is to remove the blower unit, open it up completely and replace all of the seals with new Climaloc weatherstrip. Very big job.
      Last edited by bravekozak; 01-08-2015, 10:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bravekozak View Post
        The seals around all of the vent doors in all of our Festivas are falling apart.
        The only way to properly replace all of the seals is to remove the blower unit, open it up completely and replace all of the seals with new Climaloc weatherstrip. Very big job.
        Good tip! I may attempt this on Pedro, while the dash is out.
        Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Fresh air comes in the passenger side above/behind the glove box, stop it at its source.
          2008 Kia Rio- new beater
          1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
          1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
          1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
          1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
          1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
          1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
          1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

The seals around your fresh air inlet box and on the flap that closes off the fresh air inlet are shot.
            To fix them you will need to:
            Remove your glove box, remove two nuts that attach the boxes arm above the AC evaporator housing
            Remove 1 (10mm) bolt that is harder to get that attaches the inlet box to the fresh air inlet housing at the top of the dash (near kneewall under dash).
            Be careful not to let the bolt slip behind the edge of your carpet when you remove it..I have done that before.. use a short ratchet extension.
            Remove the little clip that hold the control wire that opens and closes the flap in the box.
            Everything is now loose and you will have to slide the box to the right to remove it from the AC evaporator box and then pull it out.
            It will take a little manipulation to get it position to the correct angle to get it out so just be patient and move it around until you get it in the right position.
            Once you get it out, you will need to make some seals with whatever weatherstripping material works the best for you to get the job done.
            I glued thin white seal foam on both side of the door flapper and cut a seal to go around the fresh air inlet at the top of the dash out of a piece of thin dense kneeling pad.
            Once you get the gap around the inlet sealed and the flap closed good with the foam seal on them, the source of you cold outside air will be blocked.
            I have done this to 4 Festivas so far and also have taken the entire ac box out of three and cleaned and replaced it (which is a little bigger job). I assume your Festiva has AC.
            Removing and cleaning the AC evaporator will make a huge difference in the amount of air that is pulled through your AC evaporator and on thru the heater radiator.
            Last edited by 1990new; 01-09-2015, 12:59 AM.

Comment

Good tip Jess!
              Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
              Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
              Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
              Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
              http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

Originally posted by drddan View Post
                Good tip Jess!
                Thanks...You still up? It's cold here tonight.

Comment

I just set the door to recirculate and it pretty much solves the problem

Advanced, you should do his cabin air filter mod as well. If it is as dusty there as it is here you will be thankful
                  I do not miss getting a face full of sand when I turn the vents on.
                  91 Festiva L "Erika" b3t swap on the way
                  06 Jeep Cherokee Overland
                  95 Aspire (sold)

Comment

Originally posted by 1990new View Post
                    Thanks...You still up? It's cold here tonight.
                    I work nights. I am always up late!

2 degrees here yesterday!
                    Last edited by drddan; 01-09-2015, 11:29 PM.
                    Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
                    Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
                    Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
                    Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
                    http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

Working...
                    X