Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Make sure you make a copy of the bill of sale if you sell your car.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Make sure you make a copy of the bill of sale if you sell your car.

I've done this for years, but wanted to bring it to others attention just in case. When you sell a car, make sure you make a copy of the bill of sale for yourself. I try to make it as detailed as possible. I ask for their address and DL number and not only do I put the date but also the time. I sold my Festiva a couple months ago and this morning, my dad got a call from someone that said they bought my Festiva. My dad and I have the same name and he's in the phone book. Apparently, the guy I sold it to never registered it in his name and was driving it for couple months with probably a wrong tag and no insurance and then sold it to someone else and now they are having title issues. Being the nice guy I am, I'm going to help them out. Plus I want to make sure it gets out of my name. About 10 years ago I got a letter from an attorney asking me to pay a repair bill on a van I owned. I called them and let them know I sold it 2 years prior. Luckily, I still had the bill of sale and just faxed them a copy.
    Rick
    1993 Ford Festiva
    1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear. SOLD
    1981 AMC Eagle Wagon-As Seen on TV Lost In Transmission
    2000 Ford E350

Get burned, lesson learned! That is sound advice!
    Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
    Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
    Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
    Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
    http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

Definitely good advice!

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
      1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
      2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

I always just meet them at the DMV and get it signed over all legal like. No way I want someone running around in a car that is still in my name and you can't trust them to take care of it!

Comment

Originally posted by Damkid View Post
          Definitely good advice!
          This is a bit long but it shows you how you can legally save some real money on taxes if you understand your states, county and city tax laws as related to vehicles.

In SC you are supposed to turn in you old tag and the bottom part of the title that has been filled out with the new owners name and address.
          I keep a copy of the complete title plus the bill of sale if I sell a car. If turn in your tag here you can also get a prorated portion of you county auto taxes refunded
          (unless your are transferring you tag to another unlicensed car that you have bought).

Say you renewed you tag on your Festiva in July and your sold it in September. You then bought a new 2015 aluminum body F150 with options for $38,000.
          You really luck out tax wise here when you transfer you old Festiva tag to that new truck. You paid the maximum $300 state sales tax (no addition county or muni sales tax is allowed) on the truck
          when you bought it but you don't have to pay county tax on the full value of the truck until next July when you renew the tag.
          You have already paid tax for the year on the maximum assessed value of the Festiva, which is $50 for an auto that is 15 years old or older. County taxes on
          my Festivas have been about $11 per year for many years now because the millage rates have been very stable in Charleston county since
          the population continues to increase each year and thus the value of all real and personal property just keeps climbing.
          But then the next July instead of the maximum $50 assessed value you will be assessed county tax at 6.5% of the market value of the truck at that time.
          For example say $35,000 * .065 = $2275 instead of $50. So say you combined county and millage rate is .22, that would be 2274 * .22 = $500 in taxes instead of $11.
          So by transferring the tag, you save almost $500 in taxes that first year.

The maximum $300 sales tax rate was set back in the early 70's when the state sales tax rate was 3% so at that time $300 was what you would have paid on a $10,000 vehicle.
          It got written into the law that way and so far no politicians have had the courage to mess with it even though the average cost of a new car has almost tripled since then and
          the sales tax rate has climbed to %6.
          Last edited by 1990new; 01-10-2015, 04:45 PM.

Comment

^^^ wow, I am glad I live in Oregon. If the wife would go maybe Alaska is better..

But less snow than normal, more mosquitoes, My copper river dream is going up in a global temp shift!!
            Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

When we sell a car here down under, you have to fill out the change of ownership form on the back of your registration certificate.
              That form has two sections. One section is for the new owner and the other is for the old owner.

Both sections have to be signed by both parties and the seller has to hand the notice of disposal in to their local dmv equivalent.

I still make a bill of sale with the exact time and date of purchase in case they have an accident on that same day. But otherwise the seller becomes isolated from any strange activities once the dmv processed the disposal slip.
              1988 MAZDA 121- B6T + G5MR SWAP IN PROGRESS.

Comment

Working...
              X