Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Found out one of our Festivas is a salvage....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Found out one of our Festivas is a salvage....

Trying to change insurance & found out one of the insurances I wanted to go with would not cover one of our Festivas because it is a salvage car. Who knew?
    I knew it had, at one time, damage on the front end. Someone must have refurbished the car. That's why it has low mileage I guess. It must have sat for a long time before someone decided to fix the damage.
    Is there anyway someone can remove the salvage status?
    1993 Ford Festiva L blue 170,000 miles
    1990 Ford Festiva L Plus white 190,000 Auto, currently waiting to have another engine put in.
    1995 Ford F150 XLT black 203,000 miles
    2002 Honda CRV silver 180,000 miles
    2003 Toyota Rav4 Sport black 94,000 miles
    2008 Sym Rv250 dark grey 30,000 miles. My scooter.
    1989 Ford Festiva LX black 233,000 miles. Sold to my better half's son.

Mike

Not sure about there but not in Illinois.
    You should still be able to insure it. We do rebuilders and they have salvage titles . You didn't have any trouble getting the title in your name? Here if a car has a junk title nothing can be done with it but scrap or parts. Here if you have a salvage title they will even insure it with full coverage but it will total again twice as easy they only give you half the blue book value.

Comment

Farmers will do salvage, you just get liability, which is all you'd really need anyway.

Getting rid of salvage is not possible to my knowledge, at least legally speaking. Probably not worth the hassle of changing the dash/vin and title. I have a salvage car on Farmers insurance and it is just fine.
      -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Nancy- 1.8L BP, aspire swap, g-trans
      The Adventures of Nancy! Build Thread
      -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Musica! Click me!

Comment

No legal way to change a salvage title back to a clean title. The best you could do is get "rebuilt salvage." Which is what both of mine are. Sucks when you get in a fender bender and crack the bumper cover, and the insurance company would rather pay you 1200 to buy a different car rather than give you 1200 to fix the one you have and keep "salvage" off the title....when it wouldn't even cost 1200 to replace and repaint a bumper cover if we didn't have overinflated price gouging coming from professional shops and dealerships. Hell junkyards....aah whatever some people...

I have a1 General insurance, they're cheap and keep me covered legally. Haven't actually tried to file any claims so I don't know how good they actually are.
        2008 Kia Rio- new beater
        1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
        1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
        1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
        1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
        1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
        1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
        1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

Originally posted by zoom zoom View Post
          No legal way to change a salvage title back to a clean title. The best you could do is get "rebuilt salvage." Which is what both of mine are. Sucks when you get in a fender bender and crack the bumper cover, and the insurance company would rather pay you 1200 to buy a different car rather than give you 1200 to fix the one you have and keep "salvage" off the title....when it wouldn't even cost 1200 to replace and repaint a bumper cover if we didn't have overinflated price gouging coming from professional shops and dealerships. Hell junkyards....aah whatever some people...

I have a1 General insurance, they're cheap and keep me covered legally. Haven't actually tried to file any claims so I don't know how good they actually are.
          I'm going to look into other insurers you mentioned. We have 7 cars and 2 motor bikes/scooters to insure.

Originally posted by Charlie1717 View Post
          Farmers will do salvage, you just get liability, which is all you'd really need anyway.

Getting rid of salvage is not possible to my knowledge, at least legally speaking. Probably not worth the hassle of changing the dash/vin and title. I have a salvage car on Farmers insurance and it is just fine.
          That's what I thought.

Originally posted by william View Post
          Not sure about there but not in Illinois.
          You should still be able to insure it. We do rebuilders and they have salvage titles . You didn't have any trouble getting the title in your name? Here if a car has a junk title nothing can be done with it but scrap or parts. Here if you have a salvage title they will even insure it with full coverage but it will total again twice as easy they only give you half the blue book value.
          No trouble getting a title. We had other insurance on it, it's just when we wanted to switch to a cheaper ins. they would cover salvage .... which I didn't know it was.
          1993 Ford Festiva L blue 170,000 miles
          1990 Ford Festiva L Plus white 190,000 Auto, currently waiting to have another engine put in.
          1995 Ford F150 XLT black 203,000 miles
          2002 Honda CRV silver 180,000 miles
          2003 Toyota Rav4 Sport black 94,000 miles
          2008 Sym Rv250 dark grey 30,000 miles. My scooter.
          1989 Ford Festiva LX black 233,000 miles. Sold to my better half's son.

Mike

Comment

Working...
          X