Who's running e85

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who's running e85

Let's not bash the juice, we all know the cons to the stuff. Is anyone running it in your festiva?

It was in the original plant for mine but decided against because of availability in my area. Otherwise I would have been all over it.
    -Bryant

Comment

if youre turbo there is no better mod to squeeze a few extra hp out of your engine. if youre n/a and not running at least 14:1 compression there is no use for it. i picked up at least 40whp at the same boost and bumping timing 3* after 4k rpm in my turbo BP.
      I know its a piece of crap but im still faster...and its 100% legal!!!!!

Comment

Really? That much hp from 3 degrees of timing? Why after 4k?

Comment

Timing is everything. Last time on the dyno I advanced my timing 1 degree, and made 7 more hp and 17 ft lbs
          Last edited by eurotiva; 02-05-2015, 11:14 AM.
          -Greg
          Euro-bprt...WORLDS FASTEST FESTIVA !!! 11.78@115.9
          BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
          Redneck Engineer
          FOTY - '09
          5x Festiva Madness Attendee...FM 3,4,5,6,8
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpCZ7...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU_eX...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ

Comment

I've heard the mixture extremes are pretty terrible. From 65 percent ethanol to 82 percent.

Comment

Originally posted by bhearts View Post
              I've heard the mixture extremes are pretty terrible. From 65 percent ethanol to 82 percent.
              I have a feeling that is going to depend on what part of the country you are in/the supplier or station. Those are just the general numbers IPO had seen, and he was the only guy I knew testing it every fill up.

Comment

Originally posted by bhearts View Post
                Really? That much hp from 3 degrees of timing? Why after 4k?
                Ethanol has a significantly faster flame speed than gasoline. So not only can you run closer to (if not in excess of, if you have everything dialed in) optimal timing, but a change of 3-4 degrees advance is going to effectively act like a lot more advance than that because you also are using a faster burning fuel (that requires less advance for optimal timing, so you basically have already moved the timing curve closer to optimal just by switching the fuel type). There's all kinds of misinformation out there related to the burn speed and burn temp of gasoline vs ethanol vs methanol, but I'm going to put my faith in the EPA study on the matter, not hearsay.

Comment

For those that care, here's the epa paper. It's a good read. The flame speed chsrt is on page 5 or so. Note that it's fuel air equivalence ratio (the reciprocal of typical afr or lambda), so as you go to the right of the chart it is richer.

http://www.epa.gov/otaq/presentation...-isaf-no55.pdf
                  Last edited by ZephTheChef; 02-05-2015, 05:55 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X