Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you could, would you run another 1/2 quart of oil?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you could, would you run another 1/2 quart of oil?

Or not?

If you're an Aspire owner, you're likely adding LESS oil than you could per oil change-

SIMPLY BECAUSE OF THE FILTER change between Festiva to Aspire.

I noticed this issue long ago- about 12 years ago, when I got my 96 Aspire-

suddenly the oil filter listed for it was this little tiny thing- maybe not quite 1/2 quart, but probably at least 1/3 of one less.

Anyway I didn't like the idea of having LESS of an oil pool on the motor, especially while living out at Needles California on the hot hot desert there.

So I just kept putting on the same filter I always did on my 88 Festiva- and I've never had any problems doing that

If anyone has or knows any reason not to use the larger filters listed for Festivas on an Aspire- offer your argument now.
    My -96 is a 5 speed manual- I don't know if the tranny makes any difference, but the older filters always screw right on and have never leaked.

At over 112 K, when I change the oil on the Aspire now, I still usually have to strain to get a reading for awhile, the oil is that clear- and doesn't use or leak ANY between changes.
    To me it just seems an oli driven Corporate decision to help you burn up your motor quicker with less oil to get dirty faster and lose viscosity that much faster.

I was just reminded of the issue searching oil filters on ebay, and their search engine kept telling me the older #93 filter was NOT compatible on my Aspire-

poppycock! Been using it for years. If it fits on a Festiva- it fits on an Aspire is my own experience.

I finally got a handy Fram at the Autozone a half mile away for 4.19 before tax (I never use a filter wrench, hand tight does it, and they have that rough surface at the top to grip)- I always used to get filters at Wal-Mart for $1.99, but harder to find there now and the price I'm sure is more.

Don't you love having a Half Quart left over from 4 quarts after an oil change with these cars? even with the older larger filter, at the price today it's nice to have some fresh oil at hand. htd
    Last edited by harpon; 02-07-2015, 05:57 PM.

Interesting that they changed it. I will say, I'd rather have a Wix that holds 1/4 quart than a Fram that holds a full quart any day.
    91GL BP/F3A with boost
    13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

Also, in my own opinion, from observation- I never buy any oil from Dollar General- if you compare it you might notice it looks a lot less refined and more crude than most others.

What's wrong with fram? looks a little better than some of the other brands

Wal-Mart actually stopped selling their own brand - can't recall the name- for $2. That's what I'd still run if I could- my oil changes are usually more like at about 2000 miles than 3000. The filters don't matter to me as much as the fresh oil, and I don't want to spend a lot of money for one, especially since oli is so much now. Used to be $10 for the 4 quarts and filter. In Indiana the Festy heater core was gone so I was only driving it in the summer- I was putting drained, carb cleaner cleaned and dried 2000 mile or less used filters from the Aspire on it once and awhile because it was 40 miles round trip to Wal mart and then driving that car about 1500 miles over the warm months. And the oil looked cleaner than most cars you'd see with half the miles on it.
      Last edited by harpon; 02-07-2015, 07:10 PM.

Comment

Walmarts filter was a Super tech.
        Some say it was comparable to a wix or k&n.
        I just get Purolator or napa (wix) filters.
        I don't think the filter size really changes much.

Comment

I use the bigger filter from purolater on my 1994 aspire. It has 129000 miles on it now and never uses a drop of oil. I change it always right around or before 3000 miles. I also never drive the car over 60mph with the automatic transmission. The oil stays clean and only slightly discolors when it is time for a change. I have seen many a cars engine's that had 7 or 10 thousand mile oil changes. When they are apart everything inside is sludge and stained dark brown from dirty oil. I believe the new car long oil change schedule is just there to make sure you need a new car every 100000 miles or so. Don't forget the transmission fluid it needs changed too.

Comment

I run five quarts in mine with either filter. The festy one is easier for me to grab a hold of.

In my opinion fram has made the filter attractive to the car owner but the inside looks cheap.
            typically there is less sq ft of media and it is not attached as well. I really like the grippy texture too.

Hastings and Wix are the two I depend on. They make several brands. I currently am using Ecogard which
            is a commercial version of Hastings.

We drove cars for years with no oil filters. As long as the oil was serviced regularly there was no problems.
            When hydraulic lifters came along it became important to filter the oil fine enough to keep the lifters from
            tapping. With clean oil a lot of things were possible, like engine oil metering diesel fuel in Navistar engines.
            Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

I run the bigger filter for a Festiva on all 6 Aspires I have.Been doing it for years.Takes 3.5 quarts at oil and filter change to register full.Didn't really change the capacity too much.

Comment

Do you have a ding in the oil pan, it should hold a little more. I experimented with mine a little and the oil did not cause any problems or touch the crank until I went past 6 quarts. 5 quarts allows the oil to contact more metal which should cool it better and help it to last longer.

In the winter little one mile trips tends to make the oil collect moisture and it does not get hot enough to boil the moisture out of the oil. Maybe dropping back to 4 quarts would allow the oil to cook off the moisture quicker?? Of course if it is too cold the oil will be thick and not drain back to the pan from the head quick enough and the engine will suck air and oil out of the pan. Not good. The bigger filter will not help this at all. I guess there is no one right answer for everybody lol make it work for you.
                Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

I use a wix filter for an 89 Mercury tracer, 1.6L.
                  2008 Kia Rio- new beater
                  1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
                  1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
                  1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
                  1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
                  1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
                  1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
                  1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

Working...
                  X