engine swap questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• engine swap questions

ok ill try to make this short i have an 89 festiva its carbureted i wanted to know if i could switch it to fuel injection because i have a fi motor from a 90 festiva i bought for cheap would i need to switch the whole wiring harness and if so is it worth it to put a fi b3 in it or should i just go for broke and do a b6/b6t/or bp ect. swap instead, i have another car so i dont care if the festy is down for a little while

thanks,
    Steven
    88 L carb'ed (when up in flames of glory)(deceased) 4spd
    89 L carb'ed (died on the operating table (rust))(deceased) 5spd
    93 gl FI (sold) automagical
    89 lx FI megasquirted "luna" b6D+t (186hp 209ftlbs)
    88 L carbFI megasquirted zombie car

It depends what your budget is. I'm not familiar with a fi b3 swap, so I would say go for broke and do a b6t swap. B6t swap can get kind of pricey if youre not frugal with your parts buying (couple thousand). I feel like a b6t is more rewarding.

Comment

If you swap the stuff from the EFI 90 into the 89, you can then put anything from a b3 to a BP into it without a lot of work. I'd go ahead and change it if you have time.
      The stuff from, the 90 being the wiring harness, fuel tank, lines, etc.
      Jerry
      Team Lightning

Owner of Team Lightning
      90 L "Peewee" B6D. Bought new May 16,1990
      92 L Thunder BP G5M-R Turbo B6T electronics. Jan 2016 FOTM winner SOLD
      93 L Lightning. BP

Not a user of drugs or alcohol, Just addicted to Festiva's

Comment

Since you already bought the b3, put it in and get a universal megasquirt to run it. Practice tuning your B3 and then drop a better engine in when your bored with the B3 or you've blown it up. Swapping all the F.I. wiring over requires stripping the entire car, interior, fenders, front bumper, carpet and dash. It's a pain. I'm right in the middle of that now. You'll want an F.I. gas tank and lines also ( even if you use megasquirt) or convert the carb sender to hold an electric pump, but then you're left with the smaller fuel line and really tiny return.
        Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Working...
        X