Can a trans axel pull out of the trans without anything removed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can a trans axel pull out of the trans without anything removed

Got my car stuck in the snow the other day and was trying to pull it out with chains hooked to the tie down lugs at the front of the frame. I was jerking it with my truck trying to get it unstuck when I noticed transmission fluid running out of it. I got it on up to the house and checked it out and it looks like the trans axel pulled out from the transmission past the seal, does it have enough slop to do this or do I have other problems? Thanks for any help

I could be wrong, but that doesn't sound right. Could it just be a leaky seal? I've had those.

EDIT: Maybe the axle nut was loose and it was able to wiggle itself out?
    Last edited by Flw Sock; 03-01-2015, 02:18 PM.

Comment

No the seals are new just put them in back in the summer. nut is good bearings could be replaced but not that bad. was spinning the car at the time and sawing the wheel back and forth. I popped it back in and added trans fluid run it up and down the street a bit with no problems but I drive 100 miles round trip to work and don't want stranded.

Comment

Did you feel the spring clip click ? When you get it all the way seated it clips into a groove. The reman cv shafts usually have a much stiffer clip.
        Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

If while lynching it out of the snow bank the car body actually flexed enough to allow an axle to release then you're gonna want to start looking around for another car right away. This strikes me as an unlikely event and would have been preceded by other warning signs but you never know! Popped axle is often related to a worn out/popped or loose control arm/ball joint. Worth taking a close look at the control arm bushings while you're at it.
          Good luck!

Comment

Control arms could be changed, didn't think they were that bad back in the summer when I had it all tore apart. I will check them out tomorrow but I believe your right there probably shot and rear swing arm area were they all rust is getting bad. (My next project as soon as weather allows.) Thank for the help

Comment

Working...
            X