Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How NOT to buy a festiva...

Hi Ya'll,

So I was out in the Portland area for a couple weeks looking around and avoiding sub-zero temps. While there I stumbled across a green 92L for sale. It had a burned clutch to the point that it barely moved on its own. An easy fix if in my driveway. Since it's Oregon, it had no rust, I got excited and bought it for $600 bucks. The seller was a Ukrainian fella who couldn't speak one word of English, but his daughter (or grand daughter) translated for us (Goodness, Ukrainian women are pretty) that probably didn't help the fatal mistake I made. I asked if I could leave it for a week or two while I figure out how to tow it. I also buy Subarus and transplant them into the rust belt for a premium. The first clue that this wasn't going to end well was the guy talking fast in Ukrainian to his daughter, then she saying "how long?" and "ok, but will it be before THIS date" with the guy pointing at a calendar he fetched from the house! While this was going on, his wife (with Eastern European head covering) is peaking out of the screen door. I said, "well, I'm going to get it out of here as fast as I can, but I have to take care of a couple things first, so maybe a week or possibly two." I don't think they fully understood what I was saying, but I looked around and there was plenty of room for a festiva to sit. They had a rather large driveway and we pushed it into the corner. If rolls were reversed, I would have been fine with all of this, because they paid me in full. I go on my merry subaru hunting way, found two, drove one home, then turned and burned back to fetch the second. The problem was, the second subaru didn't have a hitch. I searched hight and low for one on CL, finally found a NEW one at haul for an insulting price, to find out I couldn't install it without a drill. Running out of time, I texted the daughter, "Hi, Can you please give me a few more days, I'm working on towing it, but need a bit more time." I get a reply right away, "no, it needs to be gone by Sunday." It's already Friday night. I scramble, with no success. My buddy's dad tries to find a friends with a truck, just to get it somewhere else to sit, anywhere but this guy's driveway. Sunday comes, my phone is blowing up "are you getting the car today?!"

So….I had no choice. I drove down to Salem (about 30 miles) with a buddy, I burned the last of the clutch a few miles away to a quiet street with open parking, saying a big hardy "Thanks!" to the Eastern Europeans. The guy was literally ushering me out of there with waving arms, like the car was burning a hole in his driveway. Having to get back to Mn. asap, I stripped the car dow as much as I could in 4 hours, hoping to God no one was looking out there window and calling the cops. I got MAYBE $300 bucks worth of good parts from it, I even took the tires and rims. I left the plates on it, and also hope to God they get a big fat tow bill in their mailbox….welcome to America!!

Serious bummer, but I learned a lesson. Learn from me here: I tend to fly by the seat of my pants a lot, and it usually works out fine, but run EVERY scenario through your mind before handing over money.

Another rust free festy bits the dust

FX
    Because....45 MPG.

That sux. Could you not have just left the car where you parked it, and picked it up later when you could tow it?

Maybe they were moving or their landlord gave them an ultimatum or something; who knows? You did try to change the agreement, after all. Or maybe it was a language issue, or maybe cultural.

Agreed on there being some serious babes in the Ukraine. Russia too.
    Last edited by TominMO; 03-06-2015, 08:20 PM.
    90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
    09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Pics of the Ukrainian babe or the whole story just didn't happen!

Comment

Originally posted by bravekozak View Post
        Pics of the Ukrainian babe or the whole story just didn't happen!
        I could have made my $300 bucks back! Depending on the pics of course.
        Because....45 MPG.

Comment

I've got to get to the Ukraine

Last edited by festyxfi; 03-06-2015, 08:57 PM.
          Because....45 MPG.

Comment

Hot Ukrainian women

More

OMG
            90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

^^ BTW, my vote for best thread hijack ever....

Disaster preparedness

Comment

I didn't see any post for help on here. I'm just a few miles from Salem have a dolly and truck just sitting here. I also have acres to store cars on.

Comment

^ this

Could have ended better
                  -Greg
                  Euro-bprt...WORLDS FASTEST FESTIVA !!! 11.78@115.9
                  BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
                  Redneck Engineer
                  FOTY - '09
                  5x Festiva Madness Attendee...FM 3,4,5,6,8
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpCZ7...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU_eX...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ

Comment

Yea .... My thoughts exactly.
                    New build on the way .

Comment

What a waste of a good car. Horrible story. Very disrespectful on all terms. There are several OR and WA members who would have driven to take a clean shell home and/or help you meet your goals. Don't mean to be a hater but... well yes, I do mean to be a hater on this type of waste.
                      Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Originally posted by jwt101 View Post
                        I didn't see any post for help on here. I'm just a few miles from Salem have a dolly and truck just sitting here. I also have acres to store cars on.
                        I should have thought about posting for help here--it didn't even cross my mind. I tend to have a DIY or DIE approach to almost everything I do (I'm not saying it's a good approach either). If there's a next time, I'll come here for help. I should have remembered this isn't your average online community.

I can tell you where a slightly stripped free festiva might still be
                        Last edited by festyxfi; 03-07-2015, 09:00 PM.
                        Because....45 MPG.

Comment

Originally posted by festyxfi View Post
                          Better yet, maybe you can arrange for someone nearby to tow it for you to a safe storage place until you can get out there again.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

Did you get my PM on this subject?

Originally posted by festyxfi View Post
                            I should have thought about posting for help here--it didn't even cross my mind. I tend to have a DIY or DIE approach to almost everything I do (I'm not saying it's a good approach either). If there's a next time, I'll come here for help. I should have remembered this isn't your average online community.

Comment

Originally posted by mustang6984 View Post
                              Did you get my PM on this subject?
                              Yes I did. Sorry, I've been soaking in the sun that's been missing for 6 months Responding now...
                              Because....45 MPG.

Comment

Working...
                              X