I'm new! Road Trippin in my Festiva

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm new! Road Trippin in my Festiva

I have a 89' Festiva L (4spd manual) recently did a full tune up. New Wheels, brakes, fluids topped, fuel filter, water pump, KYB struts, and alignment. I'm in California and I'll be on my first road trip to Utah in a couple of weeks. The car has not given me any problems what so ever and it's riding on 66,000 original miles. It rides very smooth. Is there anything I should check before making my trip? Anything I should replace? Anything I can include or add to my car?

Thanks,

-José

Originally posted by meshvolta91 View Post
    Anything I should replace? Anything I can include or add to my car?

Thanks,

-José
    I recommend a five speed.
    sigpic
    The Don - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter

Link to my festiva pictures below
    https://fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=10
    Celebrating 25 years of festiva(s) ownership.

Comment

Take a peak at the timing belt. Welcome and have a great trip! Perfect sunny weather!
      Last edited by Movin; 03-08-2015, 11:18 AM.
      Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

I'd go to the parts store and buy 3 feet of heater hose and a couple feet of gas line, top and bottom rad. hoses, maybe a
        spark plug, rad. cap, and dis. cap. all is cheap and I'd return everything when I got back if I didn't just want to keep
        the stuff anyway just in case. oh yeah - fix a flat, air pump and basic tools.
        admit nothing - deny everything - make accusations

Comment

Why 2 threads on this??

Comment

Welcome to the club! Nice to see another west coast member. Post up some pictures of your new ride, especially on your journey. You may want to check the rear wheel bearings, CV boots and anything else rubber on the car. I am building an 88 Festy right now, and most of the rubber stuff was still in good shape, but ya never know. Fuel isn't the same as it used to be and the additives they put in it now can be hard on the rubber fuel hoses on older cars.

Enjoy your little car!
            Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Enjoy your trip!! Before our first big trip to Festiva Madness V in 2011 I did a thorough check of fluid levels, tire pressures, belts etc. I did take along a small tool kit but never had to use it. Only had two issues crop up on the 10,00km/6000 mile trip.... warped brake rotor and a thrown wheel weight. Had the wheel balanced at a tire shop and replaced the rotor when we got home. Check the link in my signature to our blog.
              Ian
              Calgary AB, Canada
              93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
              59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

Put in a nice stereo and speakers and enjoy the trip.
                Take some pictures on the trip and post them. Don't forget a picture of you and the car together before you leave and then another when you get back. Wanna see the silly grin on both ends of your trip.

Welcome to the forum.
                I hate being Bi-Polar, it's awesome.

Comment

I think a festiva is a great road trip car. I'm approx. 5'10 and I can sleep comfortably in the back of one with a few easy mods. You are going to wish you had a 5th gear though. Have a great trip!
                  Because....45 MPG.

Comment

An 89 4 speed has the same gear ratio in 4th as the fifth gear in a 5 speed, so there shouldn't be a difference either way. These little cars will hum right along at 80 no problem. Check your oil every time you fuel up. It's just easy insurance with an old car on a long trip and gives you the chance to keep an eye on everything under the hood.
                    Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Originally posted by Advancedynamix View Post
                      An 89 4 speed has the same gear ratio in 4th as the fifth gear in a 5 speed, so there shouldn't be a difference either way. These little cars will hum right along at 80 no problem. Check your oil every time you fuel up. It's just easy insurance with an old car on a long trip and gives you the chance to keep an eye on everything under the hood.
                      Not true, Charlie. The 4th in a 4 speed is the same as 4th in a 5 speed. At least in my experience.
                      91GL BP/F3A with boost
                      13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

Ahh, well I need to get me that .692 gear. Apparently it's good for over 130mph! lol.

Comment

Haha JT maxed his car out at 163 with the .71 5th, remember?
                          91GL BP/F3A with boost
                          13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

So that means the E series should be good for ….

Sorry about jackin' the thread.
                            Last edited by Advancedynamix; 03-09-2015, 01:02 AM.

Comment

Working...
                            X