Festy Cross Country Road Trip Questions Please Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Festy Cross Country Road Trip Questions Please Help

First off I wasnt sure which section to start this thread, mods feel free to move to the appropite one if so.

Anyways at the end of June I am planning a cross country road trip from Wisconsin to LA, California, one way trip. It will be myself and my buddy rotating drivers along the way we would like to stop at Mt. Rushmore and the Grand Canyon since neither of us have been to either. I figure now is the time for planning and preperation, and seeing as this is going to be my first road trip ever I thought it would be a good idea to ask some fellow festiva owners a few questions. As a bit of additional info on the car its a BP swapped, 5-speed E-series transmission with the rearseat removed and 2 subs in the back. Im guessing that the subs are going to be taken out in order to make room for extra clothes, snacks/drinks, and some misc. parts from my house. Here is a link to my build thread: http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...tiva-s-BP-Swap

Here are my questions:
    ~What is a reasonable miles/hours per day of driving?
    ~How many days of travel should we plan for? (We are currently thinking 4-5days)
    ~For a BP, 5-speed E-series what is a good cruising speed?
    ~What are some tools I should bring along?
    ~Are there any members that are along the route that would be available to assist in case of a breakdown?
    ~What is the average motel price/ how much should I plan to spend on lodging?
    ~Are there any members that are along the route that would be willing to take in 2 strangers for a night?
    ~Are there any aditional tourist spots/landmarks we should visit along the way?
    ~Any random tips advice for long road trips? Such as things to bring and whatnot?

As always thanks for any and all help in advance!
    91' Festiva GL Auto EFI--- BP swapped, G-Series swap in the works.
    Adjustable VW MK2 front suspension and Aspire disc brakes
    Aspire rear axle and drum swapped with adjustable KYB rear suspension

LOOKING FOR RUST FREE SHELL IN CALIFORNIA

Originally posted by Powerstiva View Post
    ~What is a reasonable miles/hours per day of driving?
    Totally up to you and what you want to do. Driving straight thru, you could make it in a day or so.
    ~How many days of travel should we plan for? (We are currently thinking 4-5 days)
    See answer above.
    ~For a BP, 5-speed E-series what is a good cruising speed?
    See answer above.
    ~What are some tools I should bring along?
    All your sockets, the more important wrench sizes, good assortment of pliers/screwdrivers, duct tape, electrical tape. Basically whatever you would need if your car broke on the side of the road. Pre-trip maintenance is king! Make sure you have a good timing belt, water pump, accessory belts, hoses, filters, brakes and bearings, etc etc.

~Are there any members that are along the route that would be available to assist in case of a breakdown?
    What will your route be?
    ~What is the average motel price/ how much should I plan to spend on lodging?
    Sleep in the car every other night at rest stops, to save money. You'll enjoy the motel rooms that much more.
    ~Are there any members that are along the route that would be willing to take in 2 strangers for a night?
    No doubt.
    ~Are there any additional tourist spots/landmarks we should visit along the way?
    Route dependent.
    ~Any random tips advice for long road trips? Such as things to bring and whatnot?
    Munchies and tunes; a road atlas for reference; pre-trip internet research on cool sights to see along the way; extra money; a credit card for backup (unexpected repairs, etc)
    My answers above. Let us know your route and travel days.
    Last edited by TominMO; 03-09-2015, 09:31 AM.
    90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
    09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Thank you TominMO, as of right now the route is fairly flexable since its still a few months in advance, current plan is roughly as follows:
      I-90, US-18, I-25, I-70, US-191, US-160, US-180, I-40, I-15

And our anticipated travel dates are around june 23 to 28th or so.

Also new question
      ~About how mand mpg should I expect?
      91' Festiva GL Auto EFI--- BP swapped, G-Series swap in the works.
      Adjustable VW MK2 front suspension and Aspire disc brakes
      Aspire rear axle and drum swapped with adjustable KYB rear suspension

LOOKING FOR RUST FREE SHELL IN CALIFORNIA

Comment

Originally posted by Powerstiva View Post
        Thank you TominMO, as of right now the route is fairly flexible since its still a few months in advance, current plan is roughly as follows:
        I-90, US-18, I-25, I-70, US-191, US-160, US-180, I-40, I-15

And our anticipated travel dates are around june 23 to 28th or so.

Also new question
        ~About how many mpg should I expect?
        MPG depends on distance of gas pedal from floor, and how kwikly it gets to the floor. Cruising at 60 mph maybe you'd get ~35 mpg or a little more. I think John/Pu241 gets ~40 mpg with BP/E trans. Recommend bringing a full 1- or 2-gallon gas can just in case. Plus you might help someone else with it.

That's a good time to travel. Fairly warm, and just before the 4th of July. Most summer tourist travel happens after the 4th. Motels might even be a little cheaper for you, esp. in out-of-the-way locations.

Make sure to stop in and see Charlie in Phoenix! That will no doubt be a highlight of the trip too. PM him for skedyool coordination.
        Last edited by TominMO; 03-09-2015, 10:10 AM.
        90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

+ 1 on that fuel can! I met some nice people in Nashville the time I forgot mine though, lol.

Your route doesn't bring you through Phoenix, but I'll drive up and meet you in flagstaff and give you a tour of the grand canyon.
          Distance per day is determined by what you come across, but if you plan on 400miles then you'll be okay as long as you don't break down. 800 is more than possible. I've made it from St. Luis to Phoenix in 11.5 in 1 day, but it wasn't in a Festiva and I was young and stupid.
          Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

I already replied via Facebook... But I averaged mid to high 30s probably 35-37 cruising at 70-75 and 80-85 in Arizona.

Longest day was 16 hours for me, pretty rough. 12 hours was pretty doable.

If you do any mountain roads for long periods of time... Take a break and let the car cool down. After 8 hours of mountains my brakes and clutch needed a cool down.
            -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Nancy- 1.8L BP, aspire swap, g-trans
            The Adventures of Nancy! Build Thread
            -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Musica! Click me!

Comment

I took an 89 carbed festy with a 5spd transplant up to Northern Sask. on a two week adventure. On that trip I made a real conscious effort to NOT get in a hurry. Much of the time I drove 50-55 MPH, and most of the land between Sask and Mn. is flat. I averaged 45-55 MPG on that trip. I completely gutted the rear of the car, including the supports that catch the back seat and speakers. I made a wooden platform for the floor, carried an extra timing belt, some tools, camping gear and my dog. I had a total blast on that trip, just cruising back roads, stopping when and where ever. I picked up a couple of hitch hikers for company here and there. Whoever thinks one needs a big RV or SUV to go on a long trip has forgotten what it's like to just have your basic needs met and appreciate it. I called my festy "The Metal Tent" on that trip. When I do it again (and I will) I plan to make some curtains and screens for the windows. Festivas are great cars for traveling.
              Because....45 MPG.

Comment

Sounds like a good trip! You could just tint the windows rather than deal with curtains/screens.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

If your gonna be in flagstaff and you have some extra time/fuel, check out Carlsbad cave/caverns. Its not too far away.
                  definitely get some gerry cans
                  pack some emergency food. (Camping food from REI/Cabellas/Sports Authority is edible actually kinda good and cheap)
                  pack some snickers (they are the same thing as the energy bars or whatever. ) two gallons of water and an altoids tin of cash and change.
                  Fast....Women are fast
                  Quick...Nestle is quick

I Speak French....in German! lol.

Comment

I've driven cross country many times and I never brought a gas can. Even in a vehicle that got 5 mpg. It's nice insurance though.
                    Rick
                    1993 Ford Festiva
                    1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear. SOLD
                    1981 AMC Eagle Wagon-As Seen on TV Lost In Transmission
                    2000 Ford E350

Comment

Originally posted by Eaglefreek View Post
                      I've driven cross country many times and I never brought a gas can. Even in a vehicle that got 5 mpg. It's nice insurance though.
                      Good insurance, plus I have occasionally helped out people who ran out of gas. Made their day.

Once I was driving my VW bus cross-country; stopped at a rest stop and saw two young people also with a VW bus, driving cross country. They had a radio and speakers but no sound. I wired it up properly so they had a functioning system again. Totally made their day, and their trip better.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

Tom, I punished myself with air cooled buses for years back in the late 90's. My hometown is one of those towns all the hippies sort of ended up at, and a lot of busses sitting in back fields and yards. I use to get them for $300 bucks, fix something, often right in the driveway, and drive them away. I once bought one in Humboldt for $300 bucks, literally left the guys house and drove to Chapel Hill, NC, and lived in it for the next 4 months working and having an adventure. I even made it back to California in the spring, but died shortly after that.

Good memories

Originally posted by TominMO View Post
                        Good insurance, plus I have occasionally helped out people who ran out of gas. Made their day.

Once I was driving my VW bus cross-country; stopped at a rest stop and saw two young people also with a VW bus, driving cross country. They had a radio and speakers but no sound. I wired it up properly so they had a functioning system again. Totally made their day, and their trip better.
                        Because....45 MPG.

Comment

Originally posted by festyxfi View Post
                          Tom, I punished myself with air cooled buses for years back in the late 90's. My hometown is one of those towns all the hippies sort of ended up at, and a lot of busses sitting in back fields and yards. I use to get them for $300 bucks, fix something, often right in the driveway, and drive them away. I once bought one in Humboldt for $300 bucks, literally left the guys house and drove to Chapel Hill, NC, and lived in it for the next 4 months working and having an adventure. I even made it back to California in the spring, but died shortly after that.

Good memories
                          Who resuscitated you?

Disaster preparedness

Comment

Jesus?

Originally posted by TominMO View Post
                            Who resuscitated you?
                            Because....45 MPG.

Comment

I found a picture from one of my Canada trips...

<iframe src="https://www.flickr.com/photos/7182626@N05/3708397523/player/" width="75" height="75" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen></iframe>
                              Because....45 MPG.

Comment

Working...
                              X