4 speed vs 5 speed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4 speed vs 5 speed

I have heard that the only difference between the 2 is A) steel selector for as opposed to I suspect aluminum B) the gears are the same only the 5th gear just adds one more
    any truth to this I hope to be picking up an 89 this weekend if possible and just like to know I had an 89 carbie with a 4 speed and noticed no difference after I swapped in the 5 speed

From my experience I can tell you they are the same ratios except for the 5th gear obviously. Some say there was another very early production 4 speed with even lower ratios than the usual 4 speed. Some say theres a 4 speed where the 4th gear is essentially the same ratio as the 5th gear in a 5 speed.

Only real way to tell is with a tach.
    91GL BP/F3A with boost
    13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

There are 2 different 4 speed transmissions. The later 4 speed has the same ratio in 4th that the 5 speed has in 5th. I can't verify this information, it's just speculation, but I noticed the same thing with my 89. Same cruising RPM in top gear as a friend's5 speed. We drove both cars back to back and took turns with each, both had stock b3 engines. I liked the gearing of the 4 speed better, but it did make the car feel slower, even though it actually wasn't any slower.

The blue car is an 89 4 speed, the red a 93 5 speed. Both have 165/45-15 tires, both have the same suspension.
      Last edited by Advancedynamix; 03-09-2015, 02:00 PM.
      Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Another thing to note is that using an early 323 e series 5 speed is worse than even the short geared 4 speed. It has a lower final drive and a lower 5th than the Festy 4th. Good for a rock crawler Festy maybe.
        Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Is there any info out there as to when the 4-speeds changed gearing?
          90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
          09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

I can't even find documentation that there are 2 versions of the 4 speed. Lol.

Comment

There's gotta be info in the shop manuals.

Only real way to know is to tear them down and count the teeth.
              91GL BP/F3A with boost

Comment

thats ok im not that concerned lol

Comment

Originally posted by Advancedynamix View Post
                  Another thing to note is that using an early 323 e series 5 speed is worse than even the short geared 4 speed. It has a lower final drive and a lower 5th than the Festy 4th. Good for a rock crawler Festy maybe.
                  Worse ?? lol
                  Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

i have this manual for the 4 and 5 speed transmission that i got from someone on the forum i just skimmed through it might have something useful in it

MediaFire is a simple to use free service that lets you put all your photos, documents, music, and video in a single place so you can access them anywhere and share them everywhere.
                    88 L carb'ed (when up in flames of glory)(deceased) 4spd
                    89 L carb'ed (died on the operating table (rust))(deceased) 5spd
                    93 gl FI (sold) automagical
                    89 lx FI megasquirted "luna" b6D+t (186hp 209ftlbs)
                    88 L carbFI megasquirted zombie car

Comment

Originally posted by monkeykiller1996 View Post
                      i have this manual for the 4 and 5 speed transmission that i got from someone on the forum i just skimmed through it might have something useful in it

http://www.mediafire.com/view/ato0vq...nsmissions.pdf
                      Page 46 has the gear specs. No mention of two different 4-speeds.
                      90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

And as you can see, same ratios for both.
                        91GL BP/F3A with boost

Comment

That manual was produced in 87 and was a sort of "pre-release" book for the Ford techs, as I understand it. It probably would not contain any info about subsequent changes made to the trannies
                          "Blue92"- 92L 5 spd, original owner- 185K, B8,DD..
                          "Pedro"-88L 5-spd, B6D (built by Advancedynamix)
                          "Blanca"-92 GL auto, 125K(FM8 Lowest Miles)- B6 daughter's DD
                          "Tractor Blue"- 89 L auto, 110K
                          "Chester"-88 LX, runs but not street legal
                          "Wenona"-89L parts car
                          "Flame"- 89 LX 5 spd ,parts car

Comment

Originally posted by jawja jim View Post
                            That manual was produced in 87 and was a sort of "pre-release" book for the Ford techs, as I understand it. It probably would not contain any info about subsequent changes made to the trannies
                            Interesting point. The controversy rages on! ;-)

Disaster preparedness

Comment

Ah crap, Lois
                              91GL BP/F3A with boost

Comment

Working...
                              X